Apfelwein Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a question regarding the infamous Edwort's Apfelwein. I am thinking about doing a batch this weekend, but wanted to make sure I get the right AJ. I was under the impression that normal store bought apple juice wouldn't ferment. Would, for example, Mott's Apple Juice ferment properly?

Thanks,

Mark

Edworts recipe calls or Treetop, I'm sure Mott's is fine, you j ust dont want a bunch of preservatives in it, and I think both of those use only citric acid. I made my first batch of Edworts Apfelwine on April 12th going to bottle it tomorrow. Fermented fine.

As long as it's 100% juice you'll be fine. Check the ingredient list, it should have apple juice (or apple juice concentrate) and water. Citric acid is OK as an ingredient if that's all you can find. Stay away from anything w/ "coctail" on the label.

I use the Wal Mart brand 100% apple juice. It's 2 bucks for 3 qts.

Mott's is too expensive, buy the cheap stuff:D

I know, Mott's wasn't going to be the choice, but it was the most commercial example I could think of. So, as long as the ingredients are Juice, and water, I'm good. Awesome, I'm doing a batch this weekend. The SWMBO (still not sure what that means, but I know what it is) is crazy excited about it...

I did my last batch with Tree Top Cider and from what I have tasted so far this is going to be awsome. Already at 1.010 with the nottingham yeast(Brewed 24 May), gonna give it a few more weeks then bottle it still.

I used some local sweet cider with potassium sorbate myself and just made a starter before pitching the yeast. Fermented out fine. It's really slow carbing now though, so this might be a downside.

There are multiple threads on Apfelwein here. THis is from one with FAQ's

What kind of Apple Juice should I use?Ideally, you want to use 100% natural apple juice with no preservatives. The only acceptable preservative is ascorbic acid, which is a source of vitamin C and does not affect fermentation. Pasteurized juice is preferred, since it will have less bacteria.

I have made 2 batches with apple juice containing ascorbic acid, and all is well. Left the 2nd batch in the primary x 10 weeks--unintentional. The yeast was VERY settled, I was worried it wouldn't carbonate. It is carbing slowly (I use 4 oz corn sugar, b/c they tend to continue to carb up over time), and it tastes fantastic after only 4 weeks. My prior batch seemed to really peak after about 3 months aging, however this batch is already tasting great after 1 month.

Just my 2 cents, enjoy!

I did my last batch with Tree Top Cider and from what I have tasted so far this is going to be awsome. Already at 1.010 with the nottingham yeast(Brewed 24 May), gonna give it a few more weeks then bottle it still.

The yeast is really my sticking point. I have heard of people using brown sugar instead of the corn sugar, and different yeast strains. I am relatively new to this brewing thing, so I don't really know what, for example, the nottingham yeast would do to it. I assume it would make it a little sweeter?

Also, LOVE the SWMBO thing now that I understand the acronym...

Back