apfelwein Q's of sorts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zachatola

Reaction score
So i successfully made my first batch of Apfelwein and it was awesome, the SWMBO wanted something that was a bit on the sweeter side, so i started a variant of the apfelwein that playes out as such

5 gal of apple juice
2 lb corn sugar
1 lb lactose
wyeast sweat mead yeast

its been fermenting for a hair over 4 weeks and im still seeing a few bubbles coming up the glass in the carboy, not a lot, but some. My OG was 1.079 and i tested fri and im at 1.030.

My question is, i would like to do some bottling but im afraid that the bubbles im seeing means im still fermenting. If i bottle with my 3/4 cup sugar then do i chance bottle bombs? Also what is the time in between hydrometer tests? I took my first test sample on fri @ 1.030 how long should i wait before testing again? such a noob, im kinda lost and would hate to have bottle bombs.

The idea of using the sweet mead yeast is that it will get overwhelmed by the alcohol before all the sugar is used up, leaving it sweet. So, your priming sugar at bottling will only make it sweeter. You won't get any carbonation. If it's not done and is just stuck, then you could get bottle bombs if it starts up again and you're too far above the attenuation point of the yeast. I'll let someone more experienced comment on your SG and if it's done or not.

Well, that's not necessarily the case here, because the lactose will cause a higher FG but it's unfermentable. Sweet mead yeast can handle a pretty high ABV, so I'm betting the yeast isn't pooped out.

I would take the SG readings a week apart, to see if it's dropping. You could be about done, or you could be just dropping really slowly at this point. If in a week, it's a few points lower, then you know it's way too early to bottle.

THanks for the help guys, i was thinking my yeast couldnt be toast yet, im only at 6.4% alch right now, so that shouldn't be to high for my yeast, ill keep an eye on the SG reading and see if its dropping or not.

FYI, you will definitely get carbonation by adding sugar, even with the sweet mead yeast. I made a batch back in February just as you listed, except without the lactose. Fermented for just over two full months, then bottled. FG was 1.005. After a few weeks, they were fully carbed, about like champagne, pretty fizzy. SWMBO approved.

That seems to go against logic for me. It's sweet mead yeast because of low attenuation leaving unfermented sugar behind. So how would priming sugar ferment and not the other sugar that's left behind before priming?

Thanks guys, im glad to hear that ill be able to get carbonation from this yeast, ive been wondering how it leaves behind the 2-3% sugar as well chshrecat, although a few people i have talked to have said that the 2-3% they have expected with the sweat mead was not noticeable.

Did it take a full 2 months for your batch to ferment out brewerdad??? Im just a hair over a month now. I dont think ill reach your 1.005 mark, due to the lactose, but im not sure where i should end up.....what was your final alch by vol%???

I would be able to tell you the ABV, IF I had managed to remember to take a gravity reading before pitching. Which I didn't.:cross:

As far as taking the full two months, I don't know for sure if that's what it took to get where it was going, or if it stalled out some time earlier. I was just patient with it and let sit there. I didn't take a gravity until bottling day.

I have no idea just why the added sugar when bottling would carb when the residual sugar was still in there, but that's sure what's happened. It's been months since bottling, and every one is nicely fizzy. Wouldn't work for an ale, but it's good in the Apfelwein. Sort of like an asti.

OTOH, I made up a batch using Montrachet, only let it sit for about 6 weeks, and bottled at .998 for an ABV of 8.3% (Did take the gravity reading on this one...). This time, basically no carbonation in the bottles. A little fizz when pouring, but that quickly disappears, and the taste is like still wine. Very good, but not the champagne effect I had been hoping for.

I have another batch of each working on their seventh week now, so I'll be giving it another shot here pretty soon. Good stuff, regardless of the carbing. :mug:

Thanks brewerdad, i did just about the opposite of you. I brewed my first apfelwein with Montrachet and bottle carbed, came out just great. I forgot to check my OG first so i have no idea what the % was. Now i have my sweat mead apfelwein @6.4% and i just bottled tonight, been three days and its still sitting at 1.030 so i think im good for the bottling, but im just hoping i can get good carbonation in the bottles.

IMG_0772.jpg

Back