Apfelwein not improving after 2 months...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verio

Reaction score
It's actually getting worse. Decided to crack another bottle to share with the wife, to see if it's getting any better...

She actually gagged :(

Have you ever had really BAD mixed wine (aka Kitchen Sink wine)? This is what it tasted like.

That's a shame. My first batch of apfelwein is about that old and is PHENOMENAL. Sounds like you've got some resident microbes other than wine yeast.

I guess my first question would be have you had apfelwein that you liked? I do know that 2 months is not much at all, most would say don't touch until at least a year.

I guess my first question would be have you had apfelwein that you liked? I do know that 2 months is not much at all, most would say don't touch until at least a year.
No, I've never had Apfelwein before. I decided to make it based upon the rave reviews in the recipe subforums.

There isn't any signs of an infection that I can tell in the bottles or what not... ugh :-\

No, I've never had Apfelwein before. I decided to make it based upon the rave reviews in the recipe subforums.

That could be the problem. At two months, to me, it's an extremely tart, dry, sorta white wine....

Some absolutely love it - some absolutely hate it....

After a year I think it's fabulous...

That could be the problem. At two months, to me, it's an extremely tart, dry, sorta white wine....

Some absolutely love it - some absolutely hate it....

After a year I think it's fabulous...

I don't know, though... I mean, I can see how somebody wouldn't like it if he or she came into it expecting sweet cider like woodchuck or something, but gagging? That's pretty extreme. It's definitely dry, and possibly even an acquired taste, but it's not putrid. I gotta think something is rotten.

I don't know, though... I mean, I can see how somebody wouldn't like it if he or she came into it expecting sweet cider like woodchuck or something, but gagging? That's pretty extreme. It's definitely dry, and possibly even an acquired taste, but it's not putrid. I gotta think something is rotten.

If you're expecting a sweet mellow cider, and get a swig of green apfelwein - I can see a gag. Hell, I've seen it :D

my first 2 batches of apfelwein came out amazing. my third batch however, i added half a gal blueberry juice...it's been in the bottle since december 2009 and i still don't really like it. it has a dirty taste. some of my friends rave over it. but i don't like it. although i refuse to dump it. i'm just going to let it sit

If you're expecting a sweet mellow cider, and get a swig of green apfelwein - I can see a gag. Hell, I've seen it :D

Fair enough! :mug: Still, even at 2 months, mine is like a well balanced, mellow, very dry white wine. A few of my friends said it didn't do much for them, but nobody found it repulsive.

What does it taste like?

Ive never had bad apfelwein, and never met anyone who doesnt like.

Like really bad White Wine. Bitter, tart, etc. I was expecting a nice tasting appleish cider.

My wife is a Pinot Grigio drinker, so I was trying to make her something she would enjoy.

You may also want to try drinking this as a Suess-gespritzten Apfelwein - you might be pleasantly surprised. To make it Germans add Fanta to their Apfelwein, but Fanta there is different than here. Here in the States, I'd probably use Cactus Cooler. Mix it 50/50 or so and see what you think.

Moose

Back