Anyone want to try cloning Two Brothers Bare Tree with me?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnychicago

Reaction score
This is my favorite wheatwine and one of my favorite beers. I've been doing some research and cloning this should be an interesting challenge. I'm brewing a heffe soon, so I though it'd be a good use for yeast repitch. The recipe varies from year to year but this is what I found from beermenus:

"This unique Barley Wine Style beer is brewed iwth 57% wheat, 43% barley, and German hops. We boil the 25.2 Plato wort for three hours. Then we start the fermentation with our Hefe Weizen yeast and finish it with a Scottish Ale yeast. Bare Tree is then oak aged for over one year before its release. The resulting product is extremely complex with flavors of caramel, melon, apricot, vanilla, oak, black pepper, and subtle banana."

Its usually around 11.2%

So we've got the SG, the ABV, and the grain bill percentages. This beer is ridiculously gooey, so I'm guessing 10%-15% torrified/flaked wheat. For the yeast, they say "our" heffe yeast, so I'm guessing I could culture some from a bottle of Ebel's Weiss and finish with WLP028. Based on the 3 hour(!) boil time, I'm thinking no specialty grains, and just relying on melanoidin production for color/flavor. However, I guess the actual homebrew boil time would depend on the geometry of my kettle vs. Two Bros' kettle. Not sure on hopping or fermentation schedule, but I guess I'm going to need to dose it with some oak cubes.

Anyways, this should be fun/hard. Anyone else try this beer? Anyone else try to clone it? I hear that Two Brothers can be pretty friendly with homebrewers, so maybe I should shoot them an email.

I'd highly recommend sending them an email. They're very pro-homebrewer (they even have a small homebrew shop at their brewery).

I'd be very interested in a clone recipe.

Latest posts

Back