Anyone w/ Brewer’s Edge Mash&Boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CBurgles

Reaction score
I bought one of these units yesterday. I was wondering what everyone does for their hop additions. Do you need a hop spider or hop bags? Or can you throw your hops right in? I’ve read some other things about similar units requires some sort of filtering for hops. Just curious to see what other people’s experience has been.

I use a hop spider if I'm using my pump, just to keep things cleaner. If I'm feeling lazy and not using a pump then I just toss them in.

I use a hop spider if I'm using my pump, just to keep things cleaner. If I'm feeling lazy and not using a pump then I just toss them in.

I got version with the pump built in so hop spider is probably a good investment. I’m excited to use the pump and be able to recirculate and whirlpool.

I got version with the pump built in so hop spider is probably a good investment. I’m excited to use the pump and be able to recirculate and whirlpool.
I throw my hops right in. I’m not using a pump.

My unit came today. after looking at it in person, I don’t think throwing them right in the kettle is an option. The outlet for the pump sits in the bottom so hop particulate would easily get sucked in and clog.

I’ve used hop bags for some batches and just thrown them in on others. I haven’t had any issues either but I do mostly lower hop beers. If you’re doing IPAs I guess I could see it being an issue.

Back