Anyone using a paint ball tank to push 3 gallons keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankjones

Reaction score
Any input on how many times a 22 ounce paint ball tank will push a three gallon keg?

I had a friend who did it. If I recall correctly he had a hard time finding proper fits and matching threads for standard barbed fittings. In the end, he made it work though. I think he stopped because he got a hold of a 5lb'er, then said something about the paintball tank not being food grade

I use 24 ounce paint ball tanks with 1.5 gallon tap-a-draft units, and while I don't keep a score card, I can say that they will do MANY of them...... it goes a long way. I'm just switching over to 1.75 gallon mini kegs. I brew once a week typically, and it seems that I'm filling one every 2-3 months or so at $4.25 a fill. CO2 goes a LONG way if it doesn't leak. I like these tanks because I can keep them right in the fridge with the keg or Tap-a-Draft. They should not probably be laid completely flat. I can also take a keg to a friend's house and have CO2 along to serve it easily.

The "food grade" issue is of no concern to me....... it all comes out of the same tank at the fill plant........... There are no additives or lubricants added.......

H.W.

A paintball tank with the adaptor on 3gl kegs was my first set up. Carbing and dispensing I got at least 3 to 5 3gl kegs worth. You just need to be good about checking for leaks. Also think about buying some extra o rings as I had several tanks leak overnight with the crappy orings I got at the sports goods store.

A paintball tank with the adaptor on 3gl kegs was my first set up. Carbing and dispensing I got at least 3 to 5 3gl kegs worth. You just need to be good about checking for leaks. Also think about buying some extra o rings as I had several tanks leak overnight with the crappy orings I got at the sports goods store.

Consider also turning off the CO2 when it isn't needed.......... I have found on my mini kegs that it works well to just "air them up". I air them up for pressure carbing, and periodically "air them up" for serving pressure. Meanwhile I shut the regulator off. Any leaks are not going to consume much CO2 this way. A half empty keg will serve a lot of beers before you need to add anything.

H.W.

I think I should really find a tutorial on how to keg, before I get started. Is the beer ruined if the keg leeks gas?

I'm very new to kegging please forgive the dumb questions. So if can turn on and off the gas and the beer will be ok even if there is a leak? Just don't want to lose any if my precious beer

Consider also turning off the CO2 when it isn't needed.......... I have found on my mini kegs that it works well to just "air them up". I air them up for pressure carbing, and periodically "air them up" for serving pressure. Meanwhile I shut the regulator off. Any leaks are not going to consume much CO2 this way. A half empty keg will serve a lot of beers before you need to add anything.

H.W.

Is there one brand if paint ball tank that's better then the other? Where do I get the extra orings from?

Who sells tap a draft?

I use 24 ounce paint ball tanks with 1.5 gallon tap-a-draft units, and while I don't keep a score card, I can say that they will do MANY of them...... it goes a long way. I'm just switching over to 1.75 gallon mini kegs. I brew once a week typically, and it seems that I'm filling one every 2-3 months or so at $4.25 a fill. CO2 goes a LONG way if it doesn't leak. I like these tanks because I can keep them right in the fridge with the keg or Tap-a-Draft. They should not probably be laid completely flat. I can also take a keg to a friend's house and have CO2 along to serve it easily.

The "food grade" issue is of no concern to me....... it all comes out of the same tank at the fill plant........... There are no additives or lubricants added.......

H.W.

Is there one brand if paint ball tank that's better then the other? Where do I get the extra orings from?

Pretty much any brand is going to be the same...you can find Pure Energy branded tanks in most places Wal-mart,Dick's etc... almost every paintball CO2 tank you find will be some form of Catalina Cylinders tank just branded by different companies.

Orings, most places that sell tanks, will sell orings as well, they are cheap as dirt.

Who sells tap a draft?

Tap-a-Draft is no longer being manufactured........ it was a great and inexpensive system with 1.5 gallon plastic jugs that would lay down in the fridge. Designed only for CO2 cartridges, I modified mine to run on the paint ball tanks. I'm still using them, but I'm transitioning to 1.75 gallon corny kegs........ A much less satisfactory system for me, as it requires top shelf space on my fridge...........

H.W.

Latest posts

Back