Anyone use hot water from boiler or indirect water heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canyonbrewer

Reaction score
I have a system like this...and it got me thinking. This thing can make like 300 gallons of hot water per hour. Boiler water runs around 180+. Maybe I can avoid heating strike and sparge water?

Anyone do this today? Any cons to this?

indirect_water_heater.gif

Thanks!

I just read something on here about the potential contaminates coming from water heaters. Went something like this, if you use ie, water heated water from a water heater keep in mind that the water has been sitting on rods and stuff in the water tank. Hot water tends to break down stuff, I dont know what stuff but things like minerals and iron and if you have lead pipes lead. It wasnt recommended using hot water from a water heater.

Now all that said I think some breweries use the tankless water heaters I think this system would be fine as no water will be sitting in a tank collecting a higher concentrate of minerals.

There's no reason you couldn't use a Heat exchanger, that way no water from your storage tank would come in contact with your strike water.

I had a similar system on my previous house. The holding tank was insulated so well, my tap water ran very hot- 140-150. Reason, super insulated tank, and my style used a jacked boiler to heat inner tank. I had to install a mixer valve at the tank, also because of crazy high water pressure plus high water temp combo, I kept having to replace the safety relief valve every few months. But I digress, yes I think this will work quite well!

My set up is exactly the same as the OP's and I have no problems with my beer when pulling my strike and sparge water right from the hot water tap.

An easy way to tell if your hot water sucks is to take a glass of it and a glass from the cold water and put them in the fridge or let them sit over night so they become the same temperature. Have a drink from each and will know right away if the domestic hot water is ok to use. Mine taste the same (indirect heater) but a couple of friends that have electric hot water heaters, their cooled hot water sample tastes metallic. Give it a try!

My set up is exactly the same as the OP's and I have no problems with my beer when pulling my strike and sparge water right from the hot water tap.

An easy way to tell if your hot water sucks is to take a glass of it and a glass from the cold water and put them in the fridge or let them sit over night so they become the same temperature. Have a drink from each and will know right away if the domestic hot water is ok to use. Mine taste the same (indirect heater) but a couple of friends that have electric hot water heaters, their cooled hot water sample tastes metallic. Give it a try!

+1 here... Same setup, no problems. I always use hit water for both strike and sparge water. My hot water tank is glass lined, so I doubt it would add any off flavors.

I also have the same setup, no problems with using my hot water.

Back