Anyone use a whisk instead of a spoon or paddle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ski12568

Reaction score
I was thinking of ordering this. I have been wanting a pash paddle but for ~$15 I could get this 24" stainless whisk. I measured my mash tun and I only need 17". My spoon is balls deep in the MT and my arm is sore after stirring. What do you all think?

24-stainless-steel-french-whip.jpg

I don't know if that will hold up to stirring the mash well. I get your thinking but I don't know if has the strength to not bend while stirring...

I'd just say that I feel my arm is more tired after mixing up some batter with a whisk than it is after using a mash paddle. YMMV

I have one of those. It gets the job done. Your arm can get a little tired if your stirring constantly or have a heavy grain bill.

Yep, done it before with my pro grade whisk that I used when brewing extract. I found it was even more tiring than my simple plastic mash spoon, did the same job no better, and took more time to clean and rinse. Still using my plastic spoon.

Rev.

Thanks for the replys, maybe I'll see if I can find one at a store at see how flimsey it is. I wont be using it as a whip, just to gently mix. Mash paddles are pretty sweet...
:mug:

Are we still discussing whisks?

I only use a whisk if I need to add DME to the boil when I muff up my #s.

No, i was referring to the mash paddle. The handle on the whisk is probably only 6".

maybe I'll see if I can find one at a store at see how flimsey it is.

Just an FYI, the pro whisk I mentioned I have and have used is not a flimsy whisk at all, it's very large, solid, and sturdy. I don't recall the brand name and I'm at work, but just pointing out a sturdy whisk will be no less tiring. Whisking mash is definitely more strenuous than using a mash paddle or spoon. Seems others have experienced this as well :) Outside of that, cleaning off individual metal bars is also more of a pita.

Rev.

If you have any kind of wood working skills or tools you can make a paddle super cheep. Or a buddy that can make it for a 6 pack. They don't have to be expensive or pretty to work.

I've got a whisk like that I use. I love it. Super easy to stir, great at breaking up dough balls, highly recommended.

We have a large whisk with our club brew system, ( 55 gallon drums), that we use during dough in, for breaking up dough balls.

After that, it's mash paddle all the way.

I have a 24" whisk that I use, and like. Good for breaking up dough balls.

Brew on :mug:

I've got a whisk like that I use. I love it. Super easy to stir, great at breaking up dough balls, highly recommended.

+1 for the whisk. Works great and doesnt seem that strenous to me. Rinses off cleanly without issues.

I have both. Mash paddle in stainless is much more effective when the mash is chunky and thick as strike water is added. I use keggles. Most restaurant supply stores have solid paddles. Just drill some 1/2 holes into the paddle head.

I used a big SS spoon and a plastic paddle for the first year then bought the giant whisk. I love it! It's no more difficult to stir, in fact I think it's easier. It also wets the grist quicker, finds and breaks dough balls much better, and agitates the grainbed more thoroughly than my spoon or paddle ever did.

I used a big SS spoon and a plastic paddle for the first year then bought the giant whisk. I love it! It's no more difficult to stir, in fact I think it's easier. It also wets the grist quicker, finds and breaks dough balls much better, and agitates the grainbed more thoroughly than my spoon or paddle ever did.

Agree with this. I have a whisk, spoon with holes, and several paddles with and without holes. I only use the whisk now because it is so much more effective at breaking up dough balls.

Back