Anyone use a thermoelectric (peltier) cooler/heater for fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bringing back a thread from dead.

I'm curious as to why people are using Peltiers to cool and then a separate heater. Is this just to avoid the complexity of reversing the polarity of the Peltiers or is there another reason that I am missing?

i recently picked up a 27g heated and cooled b3 version used and am interested in putting an additional cooling unit in the cone in case i want to do ten gallon batches. From the best i can tell the reason the dont come with a polarity switch is that the chillers are mounted hi to deal with rising heat and the heater is mounted low to deal with the colder temps in the cone...when i install my additional chiller on the cone i will be trying to work something out to flip the polarity so i can remove the standard heating pad and use that peltier for both heating and cooling

I can't believe this thread is still alive...
I ended up using a Gatorade display 'fridge and STC1000 controller. It displays my converted and polished Sanke fermenters nicely, and with a flip of a switch cold crashes without moving them.
Cold crashing without moving the fermenter is a big reason I didn't go with the peltiers.

Back