Anyone use a kitchenaid grain mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kent88

Sometimes I have to remind myself
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm wondering if a kitchenaid grain mill would work to crush some malt for brewing. It advertises you can "Choose from 'cracked' to extra-fine consistency.", and in the PDF manual it reads that you can use it for barley, but it "should be hulled before grinding".

We already have a kitchenaid and some attachments, but I don't want to go out and spend $130 on something that wont work or that I'll wear out after a few uses. Has anyone out there used this before on malt? Has anyone out there used this before at all? If so, please advise.

Wow, at that price why not just go with a regular mill? Sorry I don't have a helpful reply, just wondering really.

Rev.

I haven't looked around much yet, but my extremely quick & dirty search didn't show any regular mills below $170. Plus I'm in an apartment and space is a factor.

Just my opinion, a KA is not really designed for milling the type of quantity needed for brewing, and may put a lot of wear and tear on an expensive machine.

Lots of budget milling options,
a corona, rebel, cereal killer etc etc.

I would look elsewhere than the KA.

KA is intended to make several cups of flour for baking, not fifty cups needed for brewing.

I have the mill, have tried it before when I didn't have an actual grain mill when toasting 1-2 lbs of malt.

basically the tldr is that even the coarsest grind is too fine for brewing. you end up with a rather large amount of dust, its painfully slow.

I use it to make flour as I regularly bake but not for homebrewing

Back