Anyone use a hop spider with a whirlpool?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sicktght311

Reaction score
Trying to decide if a hop spider makes sense for me or not. After a couple brews lately where i clogged my CFC with hops, i wondered if adding a hop spider to my boil kettle would be a good idea. My thinking is it will keep most of the hop matter out of the boil kettle itself, which means no chances of things getting injested into my pump and CFC, and less getting sucked up at the very end when i knock out to the fermenter. Also obviously quicker cleanup
Since i brew a lot of beers with whirlpool hops, i would assume i just whirlpool as normal, except instead of putting the hopsdirectly into the kettle, i pop them into the spider and the moving wort should help with utilization?

That's exactly what I do. No issues here. Every now and then I stick my paddle down in the spider and stir it a little bit, but I don't think that's necessary.

Good enough for me! Just ordered two of them to see which fits better in my kettle

I added a wort strainer from Brewers Hardware between the wort pump and my plate chiller when I moved over to the Spike+ 20 gallon BK. That captures the particles that otherwise would have plugged my plate chiller. It also allows me to keep using the SCL (Steam Condenser Lid) on the BK.

I was using a stainless spider with the old keggle BK, but it wouldn't fit/work with the Spike+ kettle. Which is why I went with the wort strainer. Yes, it's another item in the pump chain, but since it also mounts to my brew stand it's easy to use.

BTW, the smallest wort strainer is good for up to 30 gallon batch sizes. The next size up goes from 30 gallons to 2 barrel batch sizes.

I actually have one of these for my transfers to keg from my Chronicals. Never thought to use it during whirlpool/transfer. I suppose i would have to get another length of hose, some quick disconnects, and some triclamp to QD fittings, but its an option i guess!

Gonna see how the mesh hop spider works (and if it fits in my kettle due to the element and the placement of the whirlpool and drain ports) and go from there

Ah... I still use propane and have a SpinCycle as my whirlpool port, so room isn't much of a problem for me.

I actually have one of these for my transfers to keg from my Chronicals. Never thought to use it during whirlpool/transfer. I suppose i would have to get another length of hose, some quick disconnects, and some triclamp to QD fittings, but its an option i guess!

Gonna see how the mesh hop spider works (and if it fits in my kettle due to the element and the placement of the whirlpool and drain ports) and go from there
The element was another reason I didn't go with a hop spider in the new BK. To get one large enough for my hop additions, that would work with all my batch sizes just wasn't something I wanted to do. Plus it would interfere with the fit of the SCL. Which made the wort strainer an easy choice. I also have zero need to either filter or strain my beer from fermenter to keg (or can). Since I harvest my yeast and get super clear beer at the end of the process.

IME, the QD fittings to go to the strainer are not that expensive. Once you get the female fittings for the tubing it's all good. I went through getting enough of the fittings when I started using the current system/setup. I think I have a few "spare" female fittings at this point. That is, unless I decide to make a few more hoses. I'd rather have a couple spare (full flow sized) fittings than need to order them and wait.

Back