Anyone use a hand pump on corny kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arienjaynes21

Reaction score
Thinking of naturally carbing and using a hand pump for a cask style brew thought I could make a set up to use a bicycle hand pump would adapt a tire valve to one end of hose with a QD on the other side. How do you think this would work? The brew should be gone within a night as this will be served at a party just want carbonated beer the whole keg without co2 hoping this should work

The only problem I can think of is that you'll need to seat the lid with some pressure or all you co2 will leak out instead of carbing the keg. And you'll want to use co2 so it doesn't oxidize the beer.

So hit it with some co2 and purge the o2 out of the keg before leaving to naturally carb?

Here's a video showing modifications needed for cask-type ale, its pretty simple:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea3ZeUoQGEo[/ame]

What's the difference of that from having the keg left normal and pumping air in with a hand pump when you need the pressure to serve, kinda like a full size keg with your normal hand pump on it

Flip the keg upside down and serve out of the gas post using gravity. If it's naturally carbonated, it should have enough pressure to keep it slightly carbonated, and it won't let oxygen in. If you you don't finish it in one night, flip it back over (let settle) then hook up co2 and finish it the normal way.

Someone needs to invent a bladder that inflates to encompass the air space as the beer leaves. Maintainers pressure while not directly impacting beer.

Someone needs to invent a bladder that inflates to encompass the air space as the beer leaves. Maintainers pressure while not directly impacting beer.

In all my time searching I have thought just that, a bag in a box where you push air into the box to put enough pressure on the bag to serve your naturally carbed brew, but also like your saying a bag inside a keg that fills as beer is pulled to keep serving pressure up

Back