Anyone upgrade to SS Infussion Mash Tun, and your thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tracer bullet

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an old Northern Brewer 7 gallon mash tun that's got a crack in it, and so I'm looking to replace it. I also have their larger 14 gallon. I tend to use the 7 for normal 5 gallon beers, and the 14 for the occasional Russian Imperial. It's been working well generally speaking, if I use them this way. Couple (seems to be 2-3 degrees) temp drop over an hour, about what's expected. If I do a normal brew in the 14 and only fill it like 1/3 the way up, I lose a lot more, seems more like 5 degrees. So, this is my eperience.

Looking to replace the 7, since the 14 doesn't do the best temp holding job. Looking at either the Chapman or SS for an insulated stainless tun. I like that the SS has that conical bottom to get every last drop of wort, love that a lot actually (I normally up-end my cooler tun and pour it into the boil kettle).

Wondered if others have done the same upgrade, from cooler to SS (or Chapman), and if you were happy? Was it a waste of money? Do you have solid temps or similar drops?

When I was using propane and 5 gallon batches I had the 10 gallon Ss mash tun. It worked great. Everything is says it does, it does. Temp drop over an hour was so small that recirculating was not needed.

I moved to electric 10 gallon batches about 2 years ago, and my 10 gallon mash tun was too small. I sold it. It was the best mash tun I ever had. Just last week I bought the 20 gallon Ss mash tun. Haven’t used it yet, but will tomorrow. All the things from the 10 gallon are there, plus the possible upgrades are standard. For me the sight glass manometer feels a little cheap. I don’t doubt that it will work and I’m just giving first impression.

FYI - There is (was) a sale direct from Ssbrewtech on their mash tuns recently. The sale is because they’re developing a new upgraded version. No clue what the price point, time frame, or actual upgrades are. I can report back after this weekend as I plan to brew with my first run impressions.

Nice, thanks! " Everything is says it does, it does." is actually really helpful. Sometimes hard to separate hype from reality, and I will take this as reality.

I should probably get one, and just do it. Every time I choose a cheaper / more creative route, I end up making multiple revisions and replacements and have probably spent as much money (and definitely way more time) as if I'd just bought the good stuff to begin with. I'm an engineer and love to tinker but after a while I'd rather focus on trying new recipes than trying my 50th equipment modification.

I'll check on the sale / idea that there may be a revision coming.

I got a 10 gallon mash tun for Christmas last year. It does a good job of holding heat. My only two complaints are that the false bottom lets more bits of grain through than my old mash tun did. I run the wort into my hop spider now so that problem is solved. The other issue is that the feet come off too easy. I've siliconed them in place and it's better, but I still managed to knock one off.

Thanks. I tend to go overboard w/ grain separation after mashing, my cooler has a false bottom, and a bag, I vorlauf a little bit and also run the output through a hop strainer. I can probably safely back off on that. But it's a good note about the grain getting through, thanks. Looks like I can get around that one.

Super glad to hear it does well holding heat. Hmm this is looking more likely to be a purchase.

I have an SS 10 gallon mash tun and love it. The three big plusses are: 1. it holds temperature really well, 2. you don't lose wort under the false bottom due to the drain design and 3. it looks cooler than an orange igloo cooler mash tun.

The downsides are: 1. more grain comes through the false bottom than I expected. However, I just use my hop spider as a filter when I drain the mash tun into my brew kettle to solve that. 2. it is HEAVY particularly when it is full of wet grain and you need to dump it out for cleaning. 3. I wish it came with an analog thermometer instead of the digital ones. I know I could replace the digital one with an analog one, but don't want to spend the money or drill out the hole to fit it.

Overall, I am very glad I bought it.

Been on order ~ 2 weeks now, from Great Fermentations, but no mash tun and no shipping info.

Seems that the site is showing a new version. I'm wonder if I'm in limbo between the models or something. I won't hold my breatht hat I'll get the new one at the price of the old one.

Delayed a brew this week hoping I could get this new guy and use it, as my original cooler setup cracked at the valve and sprung a leak. I've been spoiled in 2020 with everything arriving at my doorstep practically the next day that waiting really sucks!

New version: Mash Tun

My biggest complaint about the InfuSsion is that they don't make a 15 gal version. 10 is too small for me and 20 is just too huge (and expensive). Sadly this seems to be the case with the new and improved version too... :(

I tend to agree, making a 5 gallon RIS in it will be a struggle. I think I can do it but it'll be close.

And it's probably too much for a 5 gallon pale ale. But I have a bucket heater I use to pre-heat my mash tun / mash water, so hopefully I can get it up to a stable temp before I mash in and it'll hold there even with just ~ 12 pounds or so of grain and a couple gallons water. If I have to I can move the smaller bills up towards more BIAB type water volumes and change the recipe accordingly for the efficiency drop if needed.

Been on order ~ 2 weeks now, from Great Fermentations, but no mash tun and no shipping info.

Seems that the site is showing a new version. I'm wonder if I'm in limbo between the models or something. I won't hold my breatht hat I'll get the new one at the price of the old one.

Delayed a brew this week hoping I could get this new guy and use it, as my original cooler setup cracked at the valve and sprung a leak. I've been spoiled in 2020 with everything arriving at my doorstep practically the next day that waiting really sucks!

New version: Mash Tun

I have high praise for Great Fermentation. You might call and ask about it

I have had incredibly good customer service with them so far. I'm sure other companies are great too but wow, yes, I now have high praise as well.

I did get hold of them, they believe that the inventory still shipping is the old stock, and it looks like it's also on the way. They drop-ship from SS, but even then it's actually a distributor for them so I know it's an extra layer for Great Fermentations to navigate through for an update but they've done it for me.

It is expected to arrive at my door tomorrow, and we'll go from there. I'll have to decide to keep the older one, return it for a newer one (higher price), etc. Maybe keep it and badger them for a discount or store credit if it turns out the old ones go on fire sale in the next week or something.

I kinda want the new one w/ the tri-clamps and recirculation port built in. But then again the rest of my system isn't using tri-clamps, and the recirculation add-on is like $30 and if I DIY it it is still less than the new version of things. I primarily care that it holds heat well for mashing, and a stable temp. If the 2 versions are identical then I should probably just stop over thinking it and keep it. I've got ingredients ready to go for a brew.

Back