Anyone try BRY-97 yet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FATC1TY said:
Didnt kill the beer. What temp did you pitch at?

Open the bucket and look to see if there is a krausen ring and take a gravity reading. It could have lagged and then finished in a couple of days.

We pitched at about 64. Would this yeast finish that fast?

ncbrewer said:
You could darken the room, and set a flashlight on the lid shining down. You'll be able to see kraeusen if there is any.

Thank you for the idea, ill try this after work. Also as others stated ill grab a hydrometer reading this weekend to compare.

We pitched at about 64. Would this yeast finish that fast?

In my limited use with it.. it could, but "unlikely".

I say that, as it's known so far as a slow starter, and quick finisher. I've had it take beers down pretty quick, but the krausen sticks around for a bit kind of akin to Wyeast 1272. Just finishes and then stays up there at the top for a bit.

At those temps, I would assume it would need.. 7-8 days from pitch to done, including the lag time.

Depending on the OG( if you mentioned it, I missed it I think ), it could be done. I've used it in beers around 1.060-1.075 or so OG.

I would just look to see if there were any traces of activity, and take a hydro reading there if there are signs. Easiest way to tell.

In my limited use with it.. it could, but "unlikely".

I say that, as it's known so far as a slow starter, and quick finisher. I've had it take beers down pretty quick, but the krausen sticks around for a bit kind of akin to Wyeast 1272. Just finishes and then stays up there at the top for a bit.

At those temps, I would assume it would need.. 7-8 days from pitch to done, including the lag time.

Depending on the OG( if you mentioned it, I missed it I think ), it could be done. I've used it in beers around 1.060-1.075 or so OG.

I would just look to see if there were any traces of activity, and take a hydro reading there if there are signs. Easiest way to tell.

thanks!

I was shocked, we took a hydrometer reading yesterday, 7 days after pitching, and it went from 1.060 OG to 1.010 FG. So yeah, it looks like the yeast did finish that fast. Really thought it was going to needat least 2 weeks, but yeah, the numbers are telling us its done.

thanks for all the help every one.

I rehydrated this in a corn sugar solution @ 80F for 4 hours and pitched into a Fat Tire clone Saturday evening at 68F. Had a nice foamy head on my beaker when I pitched. Had activity by mid day Sunday, so no significant lag here.

Just brewed with this. Only my 3rd batch of homebrew and wanted to do a quick single hop IPA with Nelson Sauvin as there are no beers in my area that utilize this hop. I was worried at first that I didn't hydrate properly, my thermometer was having a bit of a fit. But at about 36 hours it started bubbling like crazy and I was getting foam in the airlock. Quickly tapered some tubing to fit it to the airlock as a blow off tube. I'm really excited to see how this turns out. My last brew was a saison with Lallemand Belle Saison which I found to be a great, easy to use dry yeast. This is why I reached for another Lallemand yeast this time when brewing my IPA.

Used this a few months back on a Ruthless Rye clone. It took a solid 48hours to show visible signs of fermentation that was a little scary. However, once started it took off like a rocket and finished within 4 days. Overall the beer turned out very well. It had a lot of debth of character with a slightly woody nose and taste. I have def made this a go to dry yeast and will be using it again often.

Brewed this on 1-12. Took 36 hours to get going. Vigorous fermentation for 6-7 days and then nothing. Haven't taken a hydrometer reading but will tomorrow.

Bry-97 + waaaaaay too much whirlfloc, strangest looking ferment I've seen so far but it is goin after not much action for 24 hrs. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391012181.165700.jpg

Bry-97 + waaaaaay too much whirlfloc, strangest looking ferment I've seen so far but it is goin after not much action for 24 hrs.

Yeah, when I brewed mine with a single whirlfloc tablet I still had a pretty funky fermentation. Lots of chunky 'clouds' swirling throughout the carboy, but it cleared up eventually.

Yeah, when I brewed mine with a single whirlfloc tablet I still had a pretty funky fermentation. Lots of chunky 'clouds' swirling throughout the carboy, but it cleared up eventually.

I used a whole tablet in 1 gallon :/ scaled everything down in the 5 gal recipe except the whirlfloc...my clouds aren't even really swirling they do move around but it takes hours to notice a change, it's bubbling away though so I'm not worried. And seeing that bry-97 is a generally clumpy yeast I'm sure it's contributing to the clumps. Just thought I'd share this one, I'm pretty new to brewing but hopefully this will be a good lesson in whirlfloc use and patience. Not planning on using the bry-97 again unless it's called for though, did not enjoy that lag time at all, maybe I'll change my tune when I taste it though.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391033739.267206.jpg
My bry-97 must have heard me talking about how slow it is because this is what I came home to, helped clear it up by spewing all the stuff out of the top! Still goin strong so hopefully I didn't lose too much yeast

Pitched at 64, fermented at 66. Needed to warm it up to room temp for a few days then it dissipated. Too much work for a dry ale yeast.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

I pitched this yeast in an over-hopped pale ale in the evening on Saturday. It was at about 64°F at that point. Left it in the basement and it was down to 57°F by Sunday morning. I had forgotten that I had read most people needed to get it into at least the mid-60s in order to get it to ferment.

So, then I moved it upstairs on Sunday morning. No discernible activity until Tuesday morning. That means, it was 2 and a half days after pitching. Definitely the longest lag I've ever experienced. Of course, some of that lag was my own fault for getting it too cold.

Anyway, it has been going pretty steadily for a couple days now and it sitting around 66°F, but the airlock activity has been slow the whole time. I'm wondering if the seal on my bucket just isn't as good as it used to be. That would explain the minimal airlock activity.

Anyway, I'll wait at least a couple more days before I crack it open to take a look and maybe take a gravity reading. Then, when it's done, I'll be doing a pretty big dry-hop. Looking forward to see how this turns out.

This has become my go-to yeast for American ales, both pale and amber. I've also used it in my cream ale and I was very pleased with the results. It ferments cleanly and completely at 66-68F, flocculates at least as well as Nottingham and turns out very tasty and clear brews.

The only knock on this yeast seems to be lag time. Lag time isn't particularly important to me.

The only knock on this yeast seems to be lag time. Lag time isn't particularly important to me.

I haven't noticed that this yeast is any slower than others, but it does seem that quite a few people here have complained about it. Yoopers has given me a couple great tips in that regard and I'm going to try them tomorrow on a batch of APA. Will be using BRY-97 as usual with this recipe. I'll take careful notes of temperatures and times and I'll post the results here.

Just pulled my APA from the primary. Went in at 1.062, came out at 1.012 after 12 days.

Cooled the wort to 62F and pitched the yeast at 68F. Fermentation chamber set to hold @ 66F. It took a couple days to show any activity in the airlock then it bubbled along softly and steadily for several days. Beer is currently in 5 gal. carboy settling tank and cold crashing to 40F before kegging in a few days.

The beer in the sample jar tasted good and it is very clear. There was a compact 1/2" - 3/4" yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenting bucket. Very little dislodged during racking.

Conclusion so far? This yeast is a slow starter but it flocculates thoroughly and attenuates exactly as it should. When fermenting at sub 68F temps you probably will never need a blow-off tube.

Will post tasting notes in a week or so.

Just pulled my APA from the primary. Went in at 1.062, came out at 1.012 after 12 days.

Cooled the wort to 62F and pitched the yeast at 68F. Fermentation chamber set to hold @ 66F. It took a couple days to show any activity in the airlock then it bubbled along softly and steadily for several days. Beer is currently in 5 gal. carboy settling tank and cold crashing to 40F before kegging in a few days.

The beer in the sample jar tasted good and it is very clear. There was a compact 1/2" - 3/4" yeast cake in the bottom of the fermenting bucket. Very little dislodged during racking.

Conclusion so far? This yeast is a slow starter but it flocculates thoroughly and attenuates exactly as it should. When fermenting at sub 68F temps you probably will never need a blow-off tube.

Will post tasting notes in a week or so.

I use this yeast for all of my amber and darker ales, probably a dozen batches or so. Like others, I usually get an 24-36 hour lag pitching dry onto 1.050 wort. I did pitch onto a BRY-97 yeast cake and that took off over night and finished in a couple days. I always use a blow off tube, but really haven't needed it. I ferment at 68 degrees.

I would describe the yeast as clean, well flocculating and attenuating, and has a softer finished product than US-05. I usually up the IBU's about 5 units to offset compared to US-05. I really like it in hopper amber ales.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I use this yeast for all of my amber and darker ales, probably a dozen batches or so.
I would describe the yeast as clean, well flocculating and attenuating, and has a softer finished product than US-05. I usually up the IBU's about 5 units to offset compared to US-05. I really like it in hopper amber ales.

Same here. I just brewed another APA on Monday afternoon. The OG came in right at 1.060 so pitched two packets, hydrated. Had very short lag time with good airlock activity within 14 hrs. Now at day 3 the fermenter fridge smells wonderful and the bucket has a substantial krausen layer but still well short of touching the airlock. This yeast just doesn't give a big, rolling fermentation, but it does work very well.

My over-hopped pale ale turned out great. Proper attenuation, great flocculation, and a clean flavor profile. I used a ton of hops, so I didn't notice that it muted any hop character. Harvested 2 jars of yeast that I'll be using on upcoming batches.

I like it.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

Will do.

This is the first time I've harvested yeast that started out as dried yeast. I looks the same in the jars as any other yeast I've harvested, though.

I can't imagine I'll have any problems with it, but I'll report back.

If anything, this might eliminate the lag issues, because I'll probably do a starter whenever I use it.

Will do.

This is the first time I've harvested yeast that started out as dried yeast. I looks the same in the jars as any other yeast I've harvested, though.

Thanks. I just harvested my first batch of yeast off some S-04 I used to make a batch of common bitters. The learning curve is pretty steep at this point. :)

Have you been doing it for a while?

Have you been doing it for a while?

Harvesting yeast? Yeah, I've done a fair amount of it. Just revived some Kolsch yeast that had been in the fridge for about a year. Seems to be working fine, but I haven't tasted a sample yet. And I have 7 or 8 jars of a variety of yeasts waiting for future use.

I don't get to intense about it though. Just add some water, shake, let it settle a bit, pour into another container, shake, let it settle a bit, pour into jars, and throw it in the fridge. I sanitize well and don't worry about it much.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Home Brew mobile app

Harvesting yeast? Yeah, I've done a fair amount of it.
I don't get to intense about it though. Just add some water, shake, let it settle a bit, pour into another container, shake, let it settle a bit, pour into jars, and throw it in the fridge. I sanitize well and don't worry about it much.

That's pretty close to the procedure I followed. I had watched a couple videos on YouTube first and that's what they showed as well.

When you make a starter how do you figure out how many live yeast cells you have and how much to make?

When you make a starter how do you figure out how many live yeast cells you have and how much to make?

Heh. Well, that's another thing I don't worry too much about. I haven't gotten to the point of getting real specific about pitching rates. I usually just do a 1L or 1.5L starter and have gotten good results. Maybe I would get better results if I got more specific about it, but I don't worry about it that much.

Well, I had my first significant lag with this yeast, but it was my fault. I over-chilled my wort to about 48 degrees (damn cold Lake Michigan water). It only got up to the low 50's by the time I pitched, and I didn't use the temp control in my fermentation chest. All the equalled 55 degree wort two days later and no fermentation. I turned on the temp control, got it to 68 degrees, and gave it a good shake. I had krausen a few hours later. It was totally my fault so we'll see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just another data point for all: Brewed a 5gal, 1.055 American amber (turned American brown, but I digress) Monday evening. I followed the yeast instructions pitching two packs rehydrated at 9pm Monday. Pitched at 22c term chamber set for 18c. As of 9pm last night (24hrs) there was almost no activity, just a VERY thin wispy layer of gathering yeast. As of 7am this morning (34hrs from pitch), when I checked on it again, a proper krausen had broken out. We'll see how it turns out.

The brown ale that I had with a very long lag time (too cold pitch temp) fermented clean with no off flavors that I could discern. My last brew was a split batch of BM's Centennial Blonde using Notty and BRY-97. I pitched/fermented at 60 deg F; the Notty krausen was collapsing as the BRY-97 was starting to form. :eek: This yeast definitely prefers to start warmer (68 deg is my usual target) or pitch higher rates but still keep above 60 deg. Washing worked well for me and produced a good beer with quick fermentation (probably over-pitched).

Your experiences are very similar to mine. I'm convinced that this is a very good strain of yeast but it just isn't quick or "showy". Ferment it at 65-68F and you'll get a good beer every time, but just don't expect to ever need a blow-off tube.

The first time I used this yeast from a dry pack it was slow.
I top cropped some for later use. Stuck it in my fridge where it sat for about 7 months. Made a starter and crashed it. It took off in 6-12 hours. With my basement temp at 57. Maybe it was because it was 2nd generation. But didn't have no where near the lag time a new pack had.

The first time I used this yeast from a dry pack it was slow.
I top cropped some for later use. Stuck it in my fridge where it sat for about 7 months. Made a starter and crashed it. It took off in 6-12 hours. With my basement temp at 57. Maybe it was because it was 2nd generation. But didn't have no where near the lag time a new pack had.

That is really interesting. Did it attenuate properly?

No problem with attenuation. Though It was a DIPA with a lb of sugar added to the fermenter as fermentation wound down. So that could have helped. OG 1.082 FG 1.012.

No problem with attenuation. Though It was a DIPA with a lb of sugar added to the fermenter as fermentation wound down. So that could have helped. OG 1.082 FG 1.012.

Nothing wrong with those numbers! I've used this yeast in beers as low as 1.040 and ended up right in the 1.010 range I was looking for... straight malt with no extra sugar added.

I'm a fan and keep a few packets on hand at all times. Quite frankly, I've learned to just ignore the lack of airlock activity because I know it is working.

I'm a fan also. My basement was 57 degrees and It started and chugged along no problem. Had krausen for a full week but got the job done.

Latest posts

Back