Anyone tried Throwing nuts in the Mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sslandry

Reaction score
I have about 40 tons of Shagbark hickory nuts in my yard and was wondering if I could throw some in the mash. They taste like pecans if you have never tried them.

I'm sure someone will mention this sooner or later but on the latest episode of Can You Brew It on TBN, they talk about how to brew with Macadamia nuts. I believe they toast them 1st to draw out some of the oils. Then mash them with the grains. Its Holgate Nut Brown from Victoria, Australia

I have used Hazelnuts, which I roasted and then steeped with the specialty grains back when I did extract brewing. I used them in a stout, but the recipe was way to hardcore with the molasses and I could not taste any Hazelnut.

I was thinking about trying again actually, with a recipe thats tried and true.

check the gluten free forum. i see that chestnuts are used to brew so why not these too?

I used pecans I roasted about 4 times, keeping them in a paper bag to draw off as much oil as possible.

Back