anyone tried BIB as premix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate201

Reaction score
Ive been searching this and cant seem to find an exact answer. Ive seen a post about someone saying they were going to try it and report back, but never did.

All I am interested in if someone has used BIB post mix as a premix in a corny. I think it would work, but I'm looking for a little reassurance before i spend the money on a box of syrup I may not be able to use. Also, if you did use it, did you use pre-carbonated water?

Lastly, what are the chances that the BIB is the same syrup used for premix like in 2 liters and cans? If so I shouldn't have any problems with separating correct (syrup sinking to bottom)?

i've done this many times. bib syrup is the same syrup that the bottlers use for bottles and cans.

for regular syrups, mix 1 part syrup to 5 parts water., for diet syrups, it's 1 part syrup to 5.5 parts water. you don't have to use carbonated water if you're going to force carb in a keg. a 5-gallon bib of regular syrup will make 30 gallons of finished soda.

i've done this many times. bib syrup is the same syrup that the bottlers use for bottles and cans.

for regular syrups, mix 1 part syrup to 5 parts water., for diet syrups, it's 1 part syrup to 5.5 parts water. you don't have to use carbonated water if you're going to force carb in a keg. a 5-gallon bib of regular syrup will make 30 gallons of finished soda.

Where do you normally get the stuff? (Specifically in Rochester, NY... but generally would be good too). Also what adapters and parts do you need to have to get the syrup out without exposing the whole thing to air? Never used it, but the wife drinks a lot of soda.

Thanks, I just went and got a bib today. Once my keg of carbonated koolaid is gone i'm going to switch over to coke zero. I'm glad to finally have a good specific answer.

Where do you normally get the stuff? (Specifically in Rochester, NY... but generally would be good too). Also what adapters and parts do you need to have to get the syrup out without exposing the whole thing to air? Never used it, but the wife drinks a lot of soda.

I currently live in Tulsa, OK, but I remember when I lived in Bradford, PA (just across the border of NY) we would go to Olean, NY and there was a SAMS club and a BJ's that sold it. You may also be able to go to a Cosco if you have them there, but I was in Pittsburgh, PA when I shopped there. I would think any place like that should carry it. You may be able to find a business that will sell it to you also. At my SAMS 2.5 gallons is $33 and a 5 gal is ~$60-$70.

I would also be interested to know what you use for an adapter. I was thinking about finding the adapter for the hose that normally attaches to the bag, but wasn't sure if there was an easier way.

Lastly, I have a bunch of kegs, I know I am going to be sticking with 2.5 gallon bibs since I won't be able to finish a 5 gallon bib before the date on the box. Do you think I am fine to go ahead and mix up 3 kegs and keep a couple to the side? Sorry to ask so many questions, just curious and don't want to end up wasting a bunch.

you can put together a dispensing hose using a plastic picnic faucet and the proper bib connector for your brand of syrup and dispense via gravity. that's what i do.

That's not a bad idea, I've actually been mixing it in a keg now that I got it to my taste. I started by trying the ratios in a 2 liter and then keg the ratio that I liked. Pretty happy with how its been turning out.

Latest posts

Back