anyone that uses austin homebrew see this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A vast majority of our orders will pay a dollar less for their shipping. Also on orders over $100, $4.99 shipping is less than $7.99 or $6.99 at other stores.

Forrest

i didn't bother to count but it's more than 0.

As was pointed out already, you seem to have quoted everyone who said anything about the change, not those who complained about it. I certainly didn't complain about the change, and if you read my other posts, you'll see that I'm actually in favor of businesses directly charging their shipping costs to the consumer.

[...]We can't so UPS raises their rates 5% every year and fuel charges go up but we have to keep our prices competitive and we can't raise the shipping rate. So, we lose margin. Different stores have different margins. Walmart 3.6% margin, Target 4.2% margin. Walmart is not making the margin up on you.

Sure, and at the end of the day the measure of a successful business is absolute profits rather than margins. But as I said, based on my price checking, the final, shipped prices from AHS as well as a few of your competitors work out to be about the same. This suggests that, assuming you're all paying the same to your suppliers, the effective margins are about the same. Obviously my evidence is limited and perhaps not representative of the overall situation, I'm just pointing out my own observations.

zeg was dubious as to how margins were figured, and shared that he'd found some items cheaper elsewhere. He also stated that he understood businesses exist to make money.

Exactly. And for the record, I'm not at all critical of this business move, I'm just a bit skeptical of a specific claim. Like I said above, though, I'm basing this on my observations of buying the things I've bought. It's quite possible that, overall, their margins are lower than the competition and I've just been in the market for relatively high-margin products. It could also be that they get better or worse deals from their wholesalers, so identical prices represent different margins.

In the end, it's mostly curiosity and discussion on a discussion forum. I do think there were a handful of posts that were too critical. E.g., someone called this move a "game changer," which is absurd. In my experience, shipping charges were never a big enough factor to dominate the decision of what retailer to go to. Maybe in some unique circumstances, but those are probably circumstances where AHS would actually like to lose the business. You can't make up for a negative margin with sales volume!

Just ordered 3 awesome kits and some DME.
$4.99 for shipping for a $100.00+ order is still good in my book.
You can't beat their customer service.

Forrest,

Why can we no longer order LME by specific amounts? I have formulated recipes and now I can't purchase the amounts I need. Is there any way to still order LME that way? Thanks.

Forrest,

Why can we no longer order LME by specific amounts? I have formulated recipes and now I can't purchase the amounts I need. Is there any way to still order LME that way? Thanks.

Just looked after reading your post. That sucks! I also ordered LME by the recipe so that when it arrived it was ready to go and if I needed one pound of wheat I didn't have to worry about the other two pounds going South on me before I got around to using it. I think it was a great service that kind of separated them from the crowd, along with the free shipping. Now it seems both are gone within a month.

Forrest,

Wow, that's a big change. I've already made the switch to AG, but when I did extract that was one of the biggest things that set AHS apart from the others.

I use AHS exclusively for my supplies. I don't mind paying 6.99 for an order or 4.99 for one over $100 especially since If I placed an order this morning it would be at my door by tomorrow.
I usually don't order over $100 worth of merch anyway. Although, my order last month was and it was shipped for free.
Thanks to such a great company who always takes such good care of their customers! Next time I'm in Austin I'll be in to say hello! :mug:

Just looked after reading your post. That sucks! I also ordered LME by the recipe so that when it arrived it was ready to go and if I needed one pound of wheat I didn't have to worry about the other two pounds going South on me before I got around to using it. I think it was a great service that kind of separated them from the crowd, along with the free shipping. Now it seems both are gone within a month.

I agree it was a great service. I could have all my LME needed for a recipe in one container (ex. 6.5 pale and 1.5 munich) and now I would have to order 7 pale and 3 munich wasting 2lbs of LME and an extra plastic continer. I see on their webpage they are concerned about the environment by packaging with biodegradable starch packing peanuts and all UPS shipments are now shipped carbon neutral so it would only seem logical in order to keep this "green" philosophy to keep the packaging/ordering method they used in the past.

Wow, that's a big change. I've already made the switch to AG, but when I did extract that was one of the biggest things that set AHS apart from the others.

I agree and I think Forrest should come on the forum and explain this change the same way he explained the shipping change. Maybe there is a good reason to do so, but let the customers make that judgement so you do not alienate the customer base who have been loyal. I didn't mind the shipping change as much as I mind this one since I don't have the extra time to do all grain.

I agree it was a great service. I could have all my LME needed for a recipe in one container (ex. 6.5 pale and 1.5 munich) and now I would have to order 7 pale and 3 munich wasting 2lbs of LME and an extra plastic continer. I see on their webpage they are concerned about the environment by packaging with biodegradable starch packing peanuts and all UPS shipments are now shipped carbon neutral so it would only seem logical in order to keep this "green" philosophy to keep the packaging/ordering method they used in the past.

Anyone talk to AHS about this change or hear anything about it. I may call them thurs or fri to see what is up.

Anyone talk to AHS about this change or hear anything about it. I may call them thurs or fri to see what is up.

Good idea. Looks almost like they are in financial troubles and are cutting costs however they can, shipping costs for reasons Forest listed, and now they are cutting labor as it takes someone a lot of time to add 8oz Munich extract to the four pounds of pale and one of wheat. BUT I don't think they realize how much of a draw that was. I don't see myself doing much business with them in the future as they really lost any advantage they had over others with these moves. :(

AHS in financial trouble? You've got to be kidding. How incredibly tacky of you to make that kind of accusation. Unless you are their cpa I recommend you keeping your mouth shut before suffering the consequences of libel or slander.

I love AHS. I was using Midwest (which were great) but AHS's shipping is ridiculously cheap compared to Midwest. It costs $16 to get one recipe kit shipped to MO from Midwest.

AHS in financial trouble? You've got to be kidding. How incredibly tacky of you to make that kind of accusation. Unless you are their cpa I recommend you keeping your mouth shut before suffering the consequences of libel or slander.

He didn't accuse. He said "looks almost like". This is a discussion board, and he's discussing what are clearly cost cutting moves.

Rexorotten said:
I love AHS. I was using Midwest (which were great) but AHS's shipping is ridiculously cheap compared to Midwest. It costs $16 to get one recipe kit shipped to MO from Midwest.

I would use Midwest more but their shipping kills.

Good idea. Looks almost like they are in financial troubles and are cutting costs however they can, shipping costs for reasons Forest listed, and now they are cutting labor as it takes someone a lot of time to add 8oz Munich extract to the four pounds of pale and one of wheat. BUT I don't think they realize how much of a draw that was. I don't see myself doing much business with them in the future as they really lost any advantage they had over others with these moves. :(

That's OK because I buy a **** load of merchandise from them.

I just received a 41 lbs. package from them and it only cost me $4.99 to have it shipped to my house in two days.

jww9618 said:
Have you ever tried to ship something UPS or Fedex? Once your package hits about 4 lbs your at $15. AHS probably gets a volume discount but it's probably one 10% what you can get online or in a UPS or Fedex store.

I get a 75% discount on FedEx and only ship around 100 packages a month

I just paid $7 for a pint of beer (with tip) at a bar. I do that regularly. I always remind myself of that when I start worrying about nickels, dimes and a few dollars.

The complainiest complainers seem to be the ones complaining about all the other complainers. And now, here I am complaining about the complainers complaining about complaining. When will the complaint complaint complaining stop? God save us all.

Word....
LOL

I listen to sports talk radio everyday, so I'm used to complainers complaining and the others complaining about the complainers. Im am thus immune to complaining complainers and their complainers. Whew!

He didn't accuse. He said "looks almost like". This is a discussion board, and he's discussing what are clearly cost cutting moves.

Thanks. Didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers. I am sure they are doing what they think will best serve their interests and I wish them well; just got a box from them today.

Forrest,

I will look into the issue. I should have it corrected quickly.

Forrest

Seriously no finacial troubles. Just trying to provide the best shipping deal of the "big 3". A large majority of our orders are under $100 even when we had free shipping. So we lowered the rate for over 80% of our orders.

There was apparently some miscommunication and I will fix the issue because that wasn't my intention.

Forrest

If you do the math, all of the orders that we are now collecting $1 less on blow away the orders over $100 that are now $4.99. This was not a cost saving move. We saw that over 80% didnt feel the free shipping deal was enough to make them order more each time. So, we decided to offer a better rate for the vast majority of orders. This would reward the most customers. It really is a break even move, trying to better serve our customers.

Forrest

This Saturday is a free shipping day on orders over $49. So everyone that misses the free shipping can place an order this Saturday.

Forrest

Seriously no finacial troubles. Just trying to provide the best shipping deal of the "big 3". A large majority of our orders are under $100 even when we had free shipping. So we lowered the rate for over 80% of our orders.

There was apparently some miscommunication and I will fix the issue because that wasn't my intention.

Forrest

Very glad to read that Forrest. I do hope you are able to do something with the LME and being able to order recipe specific amounts. Bet ya get an order from me Sat. :)

I will look into the issue. I should have it corrected quickly.

Forrest

I checked the website and it still said the same options of 3, 5, or 7lbs. So I decided to call and I was told this was going to be the only ordering option for LME. Someone at AHS doesn't know what is going on and I hope Forrest gets this restored to the old ordering method. If not I will not be able to order from them since my recipes rarely call for those amounts. Please update us when this situation is figured out. Thanks.

AHS rocks. I do miss the free shipping over $100, because my orders always are.., but it is great that they include wine kits in their flat rate shipping, and when they have the kits on sale their total price kills anything I've found anywhere else. Of course when I stop working out of state, and move back to TX the sales tax will bite, but that is not AHS's fault. Wish they had a store up near Ft. Worth.

Latest posts

Back