Anyone successfully cap Corona bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braid

Reaction score
Yes, I'm wanting to use Corona bottles to bottle with!

NO, I'm not putting beer in them!!!

That said, I've noiced that they have the smaller distance from top of bottle to the lip the capper grabs than most american bottles. I currently use a "wing" capper as I guess most people call em.

Just trying to find out if there's a quick and easy fix to making up the difference in gap.

I think you may have an issue with a good seal. A bench capper would be the way to go.

I capped some similar bottles to corona, or may have been corona and the regular bottles. The corona ones, lost co2. That was within a few hours. Unless you have a bench capper, I would wait on the corona bottles.

Corona bottles work fine, both with wing cappers and with beer. I've used them, they work fine.

Store them in a dark place (like a cardboard box) and skunking isn't an issue.

Skunking won't be an issue anyway because I won't be putting beer in them (hard lemonade). Kirscp is right, I tried using my wing capper on an empty bottle and it didn't form a very good seal. I was able to pop the cap off with my thumb. I'm wondering if there's something I can put around the bottle's lower ridge(maybe a tie wrap?) to make up the difference in distance. The lack of space from the lower ridge to the cap isn't allowing the cap to go up into the metal crimping ring of the capper far enough to crimp it tightly.

Even with a benchcapper I had problems getting a really tight seal. I couldn't pull the caps off by hand, but I was able to spin them. I have decided not to use them in the future.

I had the same problem, more severe, with Negra Modelo bottles.

Just my experience... YMMV with better results.

:mug:

Edit: I just checked the bottles after 24 hours. The caps are as snug as anything else and cannot be twisted in the slightest. I still wonder if they're keeping the CO2 in. meh, oh well.

I can use the bench capper on corona and negra modelo with no problem.

I use corona bottle all the time with my bench capper, and have never had a problem.

I second Eric's comments, I've never had a failure with corona bottles when I put beer in them. I have bottled several batches of apple goody in them, and no duds.

I use a wing capper and have never had a problem with Corona bottles. However, Corona Light bottles which have a different shape on the top are a huge problem & I'll never use them again -- bad seals and a couple times my capper cracked the top of the bottle off.

Back