Anyone Snus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Higher pH facilitates nicotine delivery I do believe...

There is a side benefit to oral health with higher pH as well, as it helps neutralize the acids that attack teeth. Also, snus contains little sugar (only what is in the tobacco itself) so there's nothing much for oral bacteria to convert to lactic acid unlike most US chew/dip.

I think most if not all oral tobaccos are alkaline, but you don't have a wad of sugar-soaked tobacco in when you're doing snus. Most US chew/dip I've tried excepting Cope and Red Man Silver Blend are flavored at least partially with sugar syrup. A lot of looseleaf chew is pretty much flavored exclusively with sucrose. Even no-sucrose-added Red Man Silver is sweet due to the sugars in the tobacco itself and (I believe) added fructose.

If you've ever done Red Man Golden back-to-back with Silver you can definitely tell a difference in the sweetness. Golden Blend is downright sticky from the sugar.

I had previously switched to dip from cigs many moons ago, but was never a fan of the whole spitting deal, as well as having spit bottles in the car (where it seems I dipped the most). I switched to snus a few weeks ago, and it;s been much more pleasant.

I picked up a tin of Camel frost on my way to the airport for a business trip, and was pleased at being able to snus on the plane without a nasty cup around. I've since tried a number of different brands (Discreet and Nordic), but was lucky enough to find a local tobacco store that had General mini mint, General Original, and General White, as well as some free trial packs. Yay!.

I like the General mini mint, and the Original White, much, much better than Camel, Discreet, or Nordic. Hooray. Plus, I don't have spit cups clogging up the home, car, and office.

Hooray. Plus, I don't have spit cups clogging up the home, car, and office.

Ayup. It's like the "Holy Grail" for tobacco users. Lots of flavors, discreet, varied levels of nicotine doses, inexpensive (compared to other tobacco products), and the tins makes for perfect pellet hop addition holders.

It's a win, win.

Now if I could just figure out why my cheeks puff out when I inhale through my nose............ :tank:

Ayup. It's like the "Holy Grail" for tobacco users. Lots of flavors, discreet, varied levels of nicotine doses, inexpensive (compared to other tobacco products), and the tins makes for perfect pellet hop addition holders.

It's a win, win.

Now if I could just figure out why my cheeks puff out when I inhale through my nose............ :tank:

Welcome to the fold. :)
Snus has been all but a Godsend for me (and getting off of those nasty ass smokes) I think the hardest part is educating others on the benefits of snus as opposed to dip or cigs. (Not to mention I like being able to enjoy a brew while Im snussing too!) Cant do that with a dip...
-Me

I got my Northerner order in a couple days ago. Thus far here's my impressions - all are portion except General Loose:

General Original Portion: Just salty enough, good bergamot quality to it, overall not bad. I have to use two portions at once, though.

General Original White: Mostly the same, but I think it lasts a little longer and it tkes longer for the flavor to show up. Two portions needed.

General Wintergreen White Portion: This stuff burns. It doesn't taste bad, but I doubt I'll do it again. Two portions.

General (used to be Catch) Dry Mini Mint: Tastes awesome, mostly spearmint and vaguely peppermint. Tiny portions, though. I do two, but there's no nic hit.

General Loose: Tastes a little stronger then Original Portion, but I just make a total mess with it.

General Ekstra Sterk Portion: A little more "peppery" than regular General. You really only want to try one portion of this at a time, it's pretty potent nic-wise.

General Onyx: Portions are in a neat spiral in the can. Tastes like orange juice. As I just put this in, no verdict on the nic hit yet.

Oden's Extra Stark: Vaguely cinnamon, but barely. Not all that salty overall. Strong. Only portion can I got without an ashtray built in.

Ettan: Tastes like dry hay and peanut shells. Not salty enough. Not really a fan.

Skruf Stark: Tastes kind of like General with less flavor, but way more potent. I gave one to a Cope user and he felt it after 10 minutes. Because I'm a jackass I gave one to a friend who doesn't use tobacco other than the occasional shisha, and he was almost drunk after 5 minutes and had his head on the table. He had to spit it out.

Claq Qui: Not nearly as strong flavor-wise as I expected. It's potent on the nic end though.

Goteborgs Rape No. 2: Gack. Just gack. I might could take straight juniper berry, but the lingonberry is just way too strong. I can't say I like this.

Catch Eucalyptyus: Kinda weird. Reminds me of Hall's cough drops minus the menthol cooling.

Lucky Strike: A lot like General Original. Not bad.

Grovsnus Black Portion: Tastes like... I'm not sure. Either aniseed or caraway seed. Kinda like rye bread. Not a big fan.

Ingedients listed on the side of Oden's Extra Stark portion;

Tobak = Tobacco
Vatten = Water
Koksalt = Salt
Medel (E1520) = Moisture preserver
Medal (E500) = Preservative
Aromer = Fragrance

WTF? They WANT it to smell like this? :p

Hump de Bump

My two orders are still carrying me through strong. I think I over ordered, as they seem to be drying a little. No worries though.

How's everyone else doing?

I've still several tins in my fridge too. I find that they do last longer in teh fridge than frozen. Or, at least, they don't dry out as quickly once opened that is.

I think I may be changing my opinion on Grov Svart. I'm starting to like that rye-bready flavor. It's quite a bit different from the bergamot flavored types.

Hump de Bump

My two orders are still carrying me through strong. I think I over ordered, as they seem to be drying a little. No worries though.

Haven't had a smoke in weeks.
My last order is almost gone. It was all Ettan, and skruf original portions.
This time I ordered

3 – General Onyx Portion
3 – Grovsnus Black Portion
5 - Skruf Original Portion
1 - Ettan Loose

Hump de Bump

Good Bump!

So far, I still have 7 cans of offroad, a few portions of general,1 portion of tobac, the general 3 portion sampler pac 2 tins oof camel mellow left. getting ready to place an order, and want to try cranberry. Definitely will not order the cheap stuff again.

Have not gone back to the skoal!:ban:

Occaisionally I am still a smokes ***** but, for the most part I am all snus. I've gotten through the smoking at work bit well enough. The only time I get seduced by a ciggy is when we have play days. My buddy is a moderate smoker of the Ultra Lights. Been trying to get him to succumb to the "way of the Snus" and he just can't hack it.

Off the skoal for good, never looked back.
Just placed an order from Getsnus.com on sunday afternoon, got it TODAY!!!
That was outstanding.

$48 and change, including shipping got me:

Description Qty Price Total
General Wintergreen White Portion
Single 1 $3.20 $3.20
Jakobsson's Ice Fruit Portion
Single 1 $3.50 $3.50
General Maxi Portion
Single 1 $3.20 $3.20
Summertime Snus Sampler
5-Pack Sampler 1 $13.95 $13.95
GetSnus Mystery Can FREE
Single 1 $0.00 $0.00
Offroad Icemint Portion
10-Pack 1 $20.00 $20.00

Sub-Total: $43.85
Shipping: $4.95
Sales Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $48.80
Mystery can was general mini mint.

I have actually been using all loose snus. It's definitely cheaper, has a stronger hit, but is also a little messy at times. beats smoking for sure but, I am still guilty of the occasional Kretek.

Old habits.

LOL I still remember when you were a snus virgin! Damn, I think it was this thread that got me started and interested (now regularly using) snus. Im still a portion user (suits my needs) and keeps the wife from bitching MORE about my snus use.
+1 on the beats the **** out of smoking. Yeah, I still puff a Black and Mild every now and then, or very occasionally a cig (which tastes like ass) but this is rare.
Did I mention getsnus.com for the snubies out there? Here in the USA and I get my packages MUCH quicker. :)
Good bump G!
-Me

I have not gone back to the skoal. I miss it occasionally, especially when working outside, doing the yard, and working the firewood. I am tapering down on the snus, and plan to be completely tobacco free in a few months.

I have also stopped drinking. I went sober on July 27, and have not had a drop since. Life was spinning out of control. Best thing I ever did. I am an alcoholic.I cannot just have one. One day at a time I will not drink. Life has gotten better. Work has gotten better. I am getting the projects on the house done.

Sunday, September 27 was 2 months sober.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

Bob

You guys that like this Snus should try this stuff...

http://nicotinerush.com/poschl-12/

Back when I was in H.S. We had a German exchange student, who's Grandmother owned a tobacco shop in Germany. She sent him packages of Snuftabak ...a semi-dry powder snuff for sniffing up the nose. AMAZING how much flavor you can get from the nasal passages! And it won't stain your teeth!

Watch out... Snuff, Snus, Snuftabak, whatever...can be addictive after you use if for a while. You'll probably wish, someday, that you never started. When I was flying Starlifters back in the day...I used to dip Skoal to keep me going on the all-nighters. It actually was a tough habit to kick. At $5 plus a tin...I'm glad I did though...not to mention the ill health effects in can have.

Sorry, didn't mean to preach. Enjoy your Snus!

I have not gone back to the skoal. I miss it occasionally, especially when working outside, doing the yard, and working the firewood. I am tapering down on the snus, and plan to be completely tobacco free in a few months.

I have also stopped drinking. I went sober on July 27, and have not had a drop since. Life was spinning out of control. Best thing I ever did. I am an alcoholic.I cannot just have one. One day at a time I will not drink. Life has gotten better. Work has gotten better. I am getting the projects on the house done.

Sunday, September 27 was 2 months sober.

Don't mean to hijack the thread.

Bob

Okay, I dunno who you are but, WHAT DID YOU DO WITH BOB?

Glad to hear your making an improvement and I hope all continues to go well for you.

You guys that like this Snus should try this stuff...

http://nicotinerush.com/poschl-12/

Back when I was in H.S. We had a German exchange student, who's Grandmother owned a tobacco shop in Germany. She sent him packages of Snuftabak ...a semi-dry powder snuff for sniffing up the nose. AMAZING how much flavor you can get from the nasal passages! And it won't stain your teeth!

Watch out... Snuff, Snus, Snuftabak, whatever...can be addictive after you use if for a while. You'll probably wish, someday, that you never started. When I was flying Starlifters back in the day...I used to dip Skoal to keep me going on the all-nighters. It actually was a tough habit to kick. At $5 plus a tin...I'm glad I did though...not to mention the ill health effects in can have.

Sorry, didn't mean to preach. Enjoy your Snus!

Bahg! My grammamma used to snuff. Horrible stuff. I snuck it a few times. That stuff was so strong it made things curl that I didn't think was possible.

LOL I still remember when you were a snus virgin! Damn, I think it was this thread that got me started and interested (now regularly using) snus. Im still a portion user (suits my needs) and keeps the wife from bitching MORE about my snus use.
+1 on the beats the **** out of smoking. Yeah, I still puff a Black and Mild every now and then, or very occasionally a cig (which tastes like ass) but this is rare.
Did I mention getsnus.com for the snubies out there? Here in the USA and I get my packages MUCH quicker. :)
Good bump G!
-Me

Looks like, for me, it's gonna get a little bit easier to get off the occasional smoke. Kretek (cloves) are my weakness (although I do enjoy a rare Black and Mild) and state government is banning the sales of flavored and aromatic tobacco products this December.

Ayup. Even the Camel Snus will get pulled off the shelves.

Dunno how long that is going to last.

Bahg! My grammamma used to snuff. Horrible stuff. I snuck it a few times. That stuff was so strong it made things curl that I didn't think was possible.

I used to use nasal snuff quite a bit. It's actually nearly as low risk as snus in terms of cancer... at least statistically. Napoleon reportedly sniffed over 7 lbs of snuff a month. It was quite common in Victorian days, especially in Europe.

The English snuff was my favorite because it doesn't have propylene glycol added to it. So you have to keep it frozen or at high humidity or it will get dry and dusty. I really liked McChrystal's.

For the German snuff, I liked Gletscherprise. That has propylene glycol added and it's a bit coarser than English snuff, but the flavor is nice.

I still have a couple tins laying around including a full one of McChrystal's in the freezer. But ever since I discovered snus, the brown snot-rags are gone! Plus with nasal snuff, people think you're sniffing drugs, so you have to be super-discreet.

Yeah, the ban is on flavored cigarettes. Covers clove as well, but not menthol.

Have heard that Djarum will slightly change the size and market their cloves as "cigars" to evade the ban due to the wording.

Just started using los. I still use portions at work, but General Los at home.

Gila, do you have a tool or do you handbake? I've been handbaking and don't think I'm gonna bother doing anything else.

I got one of those $2.00 plastic tools. It's kind of a hassle really. I keep telling myself to just get a finger pris but, I alway grab the tool.

It does a good job, and makes a consistent pris. Just nasty to clean. Over the course of a day it gets slicked up with the Snus oils and can get pretty rancid. I just make a habit of wiping it clean with a tissue when I can.

I'd never plunk down for an Icetool. I don't care if they are gold.

Anyone taken the plunge and gotten the $44 General Carbon? I think I will pass on that one.

Anyone taken the plunge and gotten the $44 General Carbon? I think I will pass on that one.

+1 on that. Its a neat looking can, but I cant justify buying such an expensive product especially if its limited edition. What if I LOVE the stuff and cant get it anymore? Can I brew my own snus? :p
-Me

Bump-

I have been sober 5 months today. Got laid off on December 4. Something had to give, and rather than relapse, got skoal.

Anyone here still snus?

Have you tried the SKOAL pouches? they are less disgusting than regular Dip and you can place them so no need to spit (much) I use them for the nicotine to and from work, and use Camel Snus (frost) at work. No Illusions it is healthier but in the 5 years since I stopped smoking, I find I can breath a whole lot better.

Been using the Camel snus for about 2 months and haven't smoked since. A 12 pouch can lasts me 3 or more days. A 20 pack of smokes was gone in 2 days or less. I've been an on and off, mostly on, smoker for years.

Snus, even though they say it's not a safe alternative to smoking, must be better than smoke inhalation. I'm using far less tobacco too. Since it's in a pouch, I don't keep it parked in one spot where it can make that 'pocket' the loose dip users talk about.

Certainly is cheaper as well; two bucks and change for a can versus $5 or so for a pack.

I first tired the Mellow. It was like chewing a cigarette. The Frost is what I like. Way better than my first and only attempt at chewing tobacco. Beechnut Wintergreen. The stuff that's like a bag of wet leaves. I turned the color of the bag and puked. Really, I thought it was a trick. Surely these guys had given me some old pecan tree leaves that had rotted in a gutter. Nope. That stuff is just that nasty.

Even though this stuff is pretty good, I may quit (for the umteenth time) using tobacco all together, again. I really don't feel the cravings like I did once my smoking habit would kick up. Don't let the tobacco companies know this but, I've read of quite a few people using this as a way to kick tobacco.

Have you tried the SKOAL pouches? they are less disgusting than regular Dip and you can place them so no need to spit (much) I use them for the nicotine to and from work, and use Camel Snus (frost) at work. No Illusions it is healthier but in the 5 years since I stopped smoking, I find I can breath a whole lot better.

Yes , tried the skoal pouches. Also use the camel snus. Bought a ton of snus from buysnus dot com and getsnus dot com. Had a rough time when I lost my job, and didn't want to relapse and get drunk. After the holidays, I will go back to the snus permanantly

Ugh... I still use only Swedish snus. I made the jump from Camel a while back and have been using it since. I like the variety of SS plus much more is known about it than our American counterparts. (Sorry)

Ayup. I still Snus.

Been using more of the loose snus than the pouches since it is about half the cost of the pouched tins and, once you get used to it, no mess really.

Ohhhhh Joys of joy. For christmas, my MIL (immigrated from Malaysia) brought me 2 cartons of Dunhil Red and 1 carton of Gudang Garam (my FAVORITE cloves).

Smoke em up Johnny!

Still snusin'.

Snus in the morning (been buying rolls of General White) and my e-cig throughout the day.

Ohhhhh Joys of joy. For christmas, my MIL (immigrated from Malaysia) brought me 2 cartons of Dunhil Red and 1 carton of Gudang Garam (my FAVORITE cloves).

Smoke em up Johnny!

I read that and my lungs started to hurt. :D Haven't had a smoke or drip in 9 years. But, I do remember enjoying the hell out of some cloves.

Back