Anyone Snus?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you tried the General Mini Mint? If you like the Camel Frost, GMM is da ****!
Yeah, and I know the feeling of not getting the nic hit like you used to. Im a nic junkie too and I think I might dhelve into the sterks here before long. (Oh yeah, did I mention that Odens is rather tasty? Good nic hit too!)
-Me

Nope not yet. I registered for the free sample but haven't seen it at my doorstep yet. I still have some quantity to get through before I place another order. all of the one I have are 8mg products. Looking like I may have to just skip past the 11 and 12mg's and go right into the 16mg products at the frequncy rate of doubling I am Snusing.

Nope not yet. I registered for the free sample but haven't seen it at my doorstep yet. I still have some quantity to get through before I place another order. all of the one I have are 8mg products. Looking like I may have to just skip past the 11 and 12mg's and go right into the 16mg products at the frequncy rate of doubling I am Snusing.

Same here with the doubling up. A girl at work asked if I was eating candy. Nope, Jakkobsens Ice fruit.
I love it, and it will be a regular on my order list.

Also, I opened the Tabac- It was good, has some kind of flavor I cant identify. almost lightly citrus?

Yeah, Ive kinda noticed that I like the sterks a bit more as well. The only sterk I have tried thus far is the General Ekstra Sterk. It tastes like the regular General blends, but with a much better nic hit. The mini mints are tasty tasty tasty and I would suggest giving them to a new snuser (or current camel user). The only ***** about them is they are smaller (less nic) and I have to double them up. But BOY if they arent tasty!
We have been bugging them to make a large or maxi sized mini mint. That would be off the chain!

Any new (or experienced) snusers in here interested in a can of Mini Mint? Im all about spreading the word to my bretheren to help quit the smokes or dip!

Oh yeah NJT - I have a Jakobbsens Ice Fruit in now too. I ended up ordering 2 cans of this (along with 2 cans of Gen Onyx) in my last order. So many yummy flavors!!!
-Me

so far the ice fruit made me dizzy. The lucky strike black was baaaad aaaaassss.

I got a lucky strike white in right now thats pretty bad ass too. Plus the luckys have quite possibly the best can ever... its like metal or something. Lets see what else did i try. OH the gotesborg rape No2 was decent. I think i was already buzzing from some of the others that i didnt get to properly enjoy it. I will try it again later.

Is there any harm in opening the can,sampling,then putting them back in the fridge?

Tried 2 more.
Elixyer peppermint- nice strong flavor of peppermint.
Lucky strike- smooth. Very good.

Is there any harm in opening the can,sampling,then putting them back in the fridge?

Tried 2 more.
Elixyer peppermint- nice strong flavor of peppermint.
Lucky strike- smooth. Very good.

No harm at all! I have several opened cans in my fridge and freezer as I like to swap out what I take with me to work. You must have one of the older Lucky Cans (hold on to that bad boy!) As I understand it now, they changed the LS cans to a plastic can.

Im not a big 'plain' snus flavored kinda guy (Didnt care for the Grovsnus) but I might have to include a can of Luckies just to give em a whirl!

Oh, and the initial 'buzzedness' will pass. (Or at least become less noticeable or become 'normal') Kind of like that first ciggie in the AM was! :)
Snus on!
-Me

I started the day with a general onyx and a cup of orange spice tea with cream.

I feel its going to be a good day.

No harm at all! I have several opened cans in my fridge and freezer as I like to swap out what I take with me to work. You must have one of the older Lucky Cans (hold on to that bad boy!) As I understand it now, they changed the LS cans to a plastic can.

I did get the plastic can. Did it come in metal?

Yeah, I guess they had a period of people getting all upset cause the LS was on backorder for a good period while they switched the packaging. Its happened just recently.
eM-

Cavities?
http://www.getsnus.com/forum/forums/post/1245.aspx

I went over to the forum linked above, and guy claimed to need to have $1200 worth of dental work done due to the sugar in camel snus. I find that very hard to believe, but, anyone know if this does increase the chance of cavities.
That said, I would much rather have teeth fixed than cancer. I can buy fake choppers.

And an update: Have not gone back to the skoal AT ALL!!!! Throat is clearing up, and generally feel awesome. Had a few rough moments, but just doubled up and took a walk and it passed.

Cavities?
GetSnus.com forum - Re: Your Top 5 Favorites

I went over to the forum linked above, and guy claimed to need to have $1200 worth of dental work done due to the sugar in camel snus. I find that very hard to believe, but, anyone know if this does increase the chance of cavities.
That said, I would much rather have teeth fixed than cancer. I can buy fake choppers.

And an update: Have not gone back to the skoal AT ALL!!!! Throat is clearing up, and generally feel awesome. Had a few rough moments, but just doubled up and took a walk and it passed.

Bravo! Good on ya for not going back to the Skoal! (Maybe Skruff now) :p

Its nice to hear a story of a reformed (fellow) smoker/dipper who has successfully made the transition! Snus on!

Ive peaked the interest of a couple of smokers/dippers with my REAL snus. Although the battle to EDUCATE them is the hardest part, I think I gathered some interest. :)
-Me

I am pretty much smoke free since starting with the snus.
I had one hand rolled bugler all week. I never really thought I would quit the smokes. The Skruf stark and the nick and johnnies are kind of strong for me I can use them just don't keep them in to long. And the Catch White Eucalyptus tastes like a Halls cough drop, but aside from that I pretty much like them all. Favorites are probably the Tre Ankare, Röda Lacket , and Göteborgs Rapé .

I received the free General Sampler today. It consists of 3 portions each in seperate envelopes of;

Wintergreen
Dry Mini Mint
White Portion
Original Portion

Right off the bat I tore into the Wintergreen. At first it has a very Skoal like mint taste later followed by a very mellow sweetness. While I would not go so far as to concur that this is Frost done Right I would very easily state that this has been the closest thing to a dip that I have yet to taste. I would highly recommend this to anyone making a transition from dip to Snus.

I still think that the Camel "blend" has it's place. And that place is only for those who have a sweet tooth. Even compared to the Wintergreen the Camel blends have a very "candied" appeal and for me have even acted as an appetite suppressor. Camel does in fact have their own thing going and after a week straight of Snusing the Swedinsh blends I can say that I actually prefer the Swedish stuff despite the salted beginnings.

Got my General sampler pack in the mail!

Actually suggested it to a guy at work that was talking about quitting smoking, but can't show him this thread because of blockers..

F U and F U too. Even though its kind of inconsequential, I STILL have yet to receive my General Sampler pack. :p

Not that I NEED any more snus (my freezer has plenty to get me by for a while) but I think that being able to share a General Sampler pack with a (prospective) snubie would be a bit easier than giving them a can of General MiniMints, or a can of Gottlandsnus only to have it sit on a shelf or in someones freezer. (Yeah, thats happened to me damn it)
Maybe today?
We shall seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
-Me

My latest order, got it last Friday:

Goteborgs
Goteborgs No. 2
Jakobsson's Ice Fruit
General Onyx
General Wintergreen
Catch Licorice
Catch Eucalyptus
Offroad Icemint
Gottlandsnus Anis
Skruff Cranberry
and the free can off General MM

I'm enjoying JoeMama's suggested coffee with Onyx right now. mmmmm. My previous order was all 'original'. Thought I'd give the flavored a try.

My latest order, got it last Friday:

Goteborgs
Goteborgs No. 2
Jakobsson's Ice Fruit
General Onyx
General Wintergreen
Catch Licorice
Catch Eucalyptus
Offroad Icemint
Gottlandsnus Anis
Skruff Cranberry
and the free can off General MM

I'm enjoying JoeMama's suggested coffee with Onyx right now. mmmmm. My previous order was all 'original'. Thought I'd give the flavored a try.

Nice selection there! Yeah, thats my morning ritual now - coffee and a snus. Ive got a can of the General Ekstra Sterk, but I must admit that I seem to prefer the Onyx a little more. The Sterk is good, but on occasion I guess. Skruff cran is pretty tasty, and I think I need to at least *try* some of the catch flavors. I havent heard *great* things about Catch, but I think Ill try anything once. Gottlandsnus green has become one of my favs here lately, I might like to try some of their other varieties of theirs as well.
-Me

I am down to my last two pucks. Time for me to order summore too. This time, I will go with getsnus and see how they do. They have a similar selection to buysnus and I like the buy 5 get a mystery can.

Whatever you do, don't forget your pasword. Their password reminder link is bad and all you'll get is a confirmation to their newsletter enrollment.

Edit: Done! Had to get crafty and break my order up into two separate orders to get the extra "Mystery Tin". Heres what I dun;

General WinterGreen
General Onyx
General Maxi (I have some reservations about putting s'thing called a Maxi in my upper lip)
Odens Extra Stark
GrovSnus Black
Goteborgs No. 2
Gotlandsnus Flader (Green)
Jakobsens Ice Fruit
Nick & Johnny
Roda Lacket Clack Qui Sterk
Rothbrix Classic Blue

Add the 2 mystery cans and I am set for a while again! Whew!

Also, you may notice a pattern here too. They are all either flavored or STRONG! I find I chain Snus trough the day and I have yet to get a Nic Buzz. I dunno, maybe my gums are impermeable or maybe I just don't swallow the jus enough with this.

I also threw in a cheapo PristMaster. I figured some day I may choose to get the loose Snus. The selection is decent enough, the cans are a bit cheaper, and you get nearly double the Snus weight. I had done the loose dip before and the only issue I had with it was the spitting so, mebe I'll get loose someday. I just hope I don't swallow the pris.

Not a bad haul for ~$40.00 shipping included. And since it's the GetSnus site, it shouldn't take 10 business days to get here and, no worries about customs.

Never know, mebe I'll win the fridge too.

Found out a local place carries General. I picked up a can of Original Portion and the Wintergreen White Portion (I asked for the plain White, but I didn't notice until I loked at the can later that he gave me the wrong thing). Not complaining as I wanted to try the wintergreen anyway.

First impressions of real snus (as I've only used the US Camel) - the Original has a fairly light flavor that goes exceptionally well with Hardees sweet tea. I had a cup of it when I put the stuff in, and the two together work really well. It's nowhere near as sweet as the Camel and the saltiness isn't bad. I was expecting Cope-level salt but it's not like that. Just because I use tobacco all the damn time - loose chew, plug, dip, Camel snus, shisha(hookah), etc. - I tossed in two portions at once, and it's not strong enough to give me a buzz or anything. The nic level on two bags seems satisfying though.

Haven't tried the wintergreen yet.

Now I have a hankering to dig out my meerschaum churchwarden and load it up with some McClelland No. 27. I haven't smoked a pipe in ages.

I guess I am a heavy user too. I find now taht I always have a Snus portion in and yet I get no buzz. Once even, I smoked a ciggy after several hours of chain Snussing and still, no buzz.

btw, I define chain snusing as replacing the portion after about an hour. Although, after a full day of chain snusing I do notice that the insides of my lip are "puffy" and "textured". The salt? I dunno. The nic? Mebe. A sign that my lip is being chemically burned and severed from my face? Prolly (those pesky sweds with-holding side effects) but, damn if it isn't ohhh sooo refreshing to get the nic and not smoke.

Edit: Uggg. Part of my order came this morning. I just don't get how 2 packages can be shipped with the same carrier from the same location to the same location but, be delivered at different times. Oh Well.

The mystery can in the first box "just happens" to be General Loose. Hmmm. Wonder if that had anything to do with the Pristmaster that I ordered with that shipment.

Although, after a full day of chain snusing I do notice that the insides of my lip are "puffy" and "textured". The salt? I dunno. The nic? Mebe. A sign that my lip is being chemically burned and severed from my face?

IIRC, snus is somewhat acidic which can irritate the inner lip. The salt I'm sure can also cause irritation... like when I used to stuff handful after handful of David Sunflower Seeds in my cheek.:cross:

PROBLEM!!!

I'm on a business trip for a week and I FORGOT MY SNUS!!! What do I do? Should I order from getsnus and have them deliver it here, or should I go out looking for something local (I will not be OK with camel...)

I need nicotine.

EDIT: My boss left some beer in the apartment for me... Beast Ice. I started drinking it ice cold and thought 'this is fine. I can drink this.' I handled the can too much and i started to warm up... kill me now.

I'm quitting smoking and there's no way I'm going anywhere near that stuff. The last thing I need is another hole in my pocket.

I'm quitting smoking and there's no way I'm going anywhere near that stuff. The last thing I need is another hole in my pocket.

It's cheaper, but good for you. Just don't make any "OK just for tonight" exceptions. That's what always got me.

Right now I'm curing my lack of snus with....... Grizzly - eeeeeewwww. Worst part, I can't drink with it in.

PROBLEM!!!

I'm on a business trip for a week and I FORGOT MY SNUS!!! What do I do? Should I order from getsnus and have them deliver it here, or should I go out looking for something local (I will not be OK with camel...)

I need nicotine.

EDIT: My boss left some beer in the apartment for me... Beast Ice. I started drinking it ice cold and thought 'this is fine. I can drink this.' I handled the can too much and i started to warm up... kill me now.

I'd just go get the Camel to hold me over but, that is just me. Maybe look around/call around to tobacco shops and see if they have the Tourney Snus at least.

Just got my second box and I am not sure I know where to start;

Eeny meeny? Close my eyes and point? Or just tear into the JIF (cause ya' know I can't wait to try it). I am actually also stoked to see what the loose is like. It amazes me how the loose can have almost twice the product weight for the same cost (even if the selections aren't as wide).

12 pucks is a lot of Snus! I finally opened the last puck, from my first order, again. It's the Catch Eucalyptus. It's good! But even after having been frozen all this time it's dried out some and the flavor is not as intense as it was before (which in this case prolly makes it better).

I also have to admit I am a little intimidated by the Oden's Black Extra Stark, IIRC, that one is a whopping 15 (maybe 16) mg of Nicotine! Whew!

I've found that I really built up a tolerance for the snus. At first the strong portions kicked my ass, but now not so much. Just got 5 cans of skruf original portions, and five cans of Ettan. The getsnus free can was general portion which I will use but I would have liked to get something I haven't tried yet.

I've found that I really built up a tolerance for the snus. At first the strong portions kicked my ass, but now not so much. Just got 5 cans of skruf original portions, and five cans of Ettan. The getsnus free can was general portion which I will use but I would have liked to get something I haven't tried yet.

I think we all build a 'tolerance' for snus - heres the real trick...

Try waking up and not snussing for at least half of the day. By the time afternoon rolls around, if you havent ripped someones head off you will really appreciate your snus on a new level. I like to save my sterks for mornings that are really rough. General Onyx is my fav intermittent throughout the day inbetween snus. (And I gave a can of it away last night)
-Me

Yeah. Tolerance here too. Been Snusing 2 original portions at a time for a while now. Just step up to the stark/sterk portions and it's the same. I am really enjoying a Roda Lackett Claq Qui Stark (10/12 mg ???) portion right now but, alas, I have yet to get a Nic buzz from Snus.

Also, oddly enough, I found that a Catch Eucalyptus and a Camel Mellow done toghether has a striking resemblance to the Dry Mini Mint only with a 16mg punch.

Anyone seen anything on what the timeline is on the full delivery of the Nicotine per portion? ( For example I have read that with cigs, nic hits the brain from 7 to 10 seconds after puff.) I am guessing that Snus delivers a light stream of nicotine over a 30 minute to one hour period.

IIRC, snus is somewhat acidic which can irritate the inner lip. The salt I'm sure can also cause irritation... like when I used to stuff handful after handful of David Sunflower Seeds in my cheek.:cross:

Snus is actually alkaline - it contains sodium carbonate.

Back