Anyone make sauerkraut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some that was pretty badly moldy. I am not sure why. It was only a quart jar half full anyway.

I've also had some that looked funky and didn't taste as good as normal, but I ate it anyway and it didn't hurt me at all.

Made some last night in the 1 gallon glass cookie jar from Wal-Mart again. This time I use a small styrofoam plate with some holes punch in it to hold the cabbage down. Seems to work better than the baggie. The hole will let some air get in, yet keep the kraut under the water.

Thinking about doing a dish with different sausage than last time. Maybe even just a pork roast in the slo-cooker.

bottlebomber said:
Do not drain it! The fresh kraut juice is an unmatched health tonic, and besides that it can be used to jump start your next batch. Just pack it into a jar and put it in the fridge.

Health tonic, you say? What kind of ailments will I be able to cure with said concoction? Are we talking gastro-intestinal health? Also, is there a way you recommend consuming it? Neat, on the rocks, maybe with some spirits? No but seriously, do you drink it straight?

Lucky137 said:
No but seriously, do you drink it straight?

Heck yes. It is a pretty good shot of sodium, but it is the most concentrated dose of probiotics you will ever find. We are learning more all the time about the importance of intestinal flora in our overall health. Some now think that our digestive system in responsible or 70% of our immune system. I know for a fact that since I've been making my own kraut I've been ill much less.

Took a whiff of the kraut last night. Only been about 2 days but it's already starting to smell!

I wanna have some sausage and kraut, but I don't really want to buy some kraut from the store anymore. Should have started it weeks ago!

Success! Fermentation went great, none of the nasty goo that accumulated on top last time. Tastes good, a bit too salty. I think the original recipe was good, but I should have cut back on salt when I had to top up the brine. Got the next batch started and got some bratwurst to grill in the next day or two.

knfd7.jpg

Ok, I used a small foam plate to hold down my kraut, but unfortunately it kept floating up with the kraut!

So I pushed it back down with a pint jar and placed the glass lid on top of the jar. NOW it stays down! And it's smelling like kraut even more than before.

I have made kraut a few times and learned a couple tricks;

First off, the amount of salt in recipes is the preservative before fermentation takes place; you may not want to mess with that. Unless you use some kind of 'starter.' I have used kefir whey and had it bubbling in a couple hours; kinda freaked me out. Made the best kraut I ever had. I had only used pinches of salt for each layer just for flavoring. I don't make kefir anymore so I am going to try using whey from cheesemaking.

Make certain to skim the scum daily and top off. Really only do this until it stops appearing at the surface.

Another thing to mention; keep it away from the homebrew!!!! I never share homebrew equipment with cooking, and for some reason had my first and only 2 infections last year. Happened to be in around September/August when I was cranking veggies out of the garden. I am not sure if/how the lacto got into my homebrew. Those brews back to back had me discouraged from brewing/fermenting food for some time. I wound up sanitizing the whole kitchen, buying new racking tubes, and putting my bottling bucket through hell.

Having said that, it is a lost art I believe everyone should try. I am with bottlebomber in trying to reestablish intestinal flora; the benefits take a while to see but are resounding. I also make a giardiniera the same whey, pun intended. Gotta have my roast beef Chi-town style.

Success! Fermentation went great, none of the nasty goo that accumulated on top last time. Tastes good, a bit too salty. I think the original recipe was good, but I should have cut back on salt when I had to top up the brine. Got the next batch started and got some bratwurst to grill in the next day or two.

knfd7.jpg

Brats + kraut = heaven. How do you prep them? I was looking at recipes that have you brown the brats, then throw em in the crock pot with the kraut on top with some other ingredients. Was OK, but you lose a lot of the krautiness with this method. Do you grill them and then just throw the raw kraut on top? Some mustard maybe?

Grill them, then boil them in beer till you have a sauce, then serve the kraut over the top. You don't want to get that kraut too hot

Grill them, then boil them in beer till you have a sauce, then serve the kraut over the top. You don't want to get that kraut too hot

oh shyte . . .this will bring on the greatest debate thread of all time . . .

Grill & Boil v Boil & Grill​

I've seen fist fights break out over this argument (ok granted there were MASSIVE amounts of beer involved but it happened :p)

oh shyte . . .this will bring on the greatest debate thread of all time . . .

Grill & Boil v Boil & Grill​

I've seen fist fights break out over this argument (ok granted there were MASSIVE amounts of beer involved but it happened :p)

Haha. Without getting into it, for how long should I be grilling then boiling, or boiling then grilling if I so choose?

started a tongue in cheek thread in the debate area . . .
I bring them to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes maybe? Just to get a beer flavor in them, then grill until done and GBD. I also use a lager when I simmer them (about the only time you'll ever find a lager in my hand or even my house)

Sure do, that's how i got into brewing beer!!! awesome world of fermenting!!!!
i have jars with holes int he top for an airlock. crocks are good for there time.. bu tthe bottles are the way to go these days. never had mold once!!! and i can get 5 bottles for the price of one crock. not the crap plastic ones either.. these are fido bermioli jars. if your going to eat healthy mine as well get away from plastic!!

btw borsht made with kvass and a scoop of saurkraut is amazing!! if your a borsht person!!!!

+1 on boiling them in a lager... You don't want a strong beer for this. I did it once and made the mistake of using an IPA since it works so nice in beer bread and I also threw a ton of onion in there and is made me actually gag, and I can eat nails

I've never done anything with brats other than straight to the grill. The other night I grilled, split them open, then put on some dark rye bread with lots of spicy mustard and kraut.

I've heard many times though about the beer and onion simmer, I'll have to give that a shot next time around. Everything I have on tap right now is pretty burly, guess I'll have to actually buy some beer.

Latest posts

Back