anyone know what causes gutrot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
Made an amazing beer the other day unfortunately after about 4 beers it always gave me gutrot. Idk what caused it. Anyone have ideas?

Bad ferment perhaps. Too much methanol present in a high ABV. You can get this when (improperly) distilling. You don't hear much about gut rot with beers or wines because the ABV is lower so you have a lower amount of congeners.

jetboiler said:
Is "gutrot" a medical condition? What are the symptoms?

Think of nausea and vomiting through your back hole I.E upset stomach.

I poured myself a small glass of porter I had carbing in a keg. Must have pulled a bunch of yeast in the first pour because thirty minutes later I spackeled the toilet. Came on quick. Left just as quickly. Yeast will definitely give you "gut rot"

If your body isn't accustomed to live yeast, that can happen. Most likely, your digestive tract will get used to it. The question is, will your loved ones stick with you until then. :D

Um im talking about physical pain in the stomach kind of like heartburn but not quite.

If you are used to drinking commercial beers produced by the big brewers, the yeast is filtered out of their beers. Craft beers and homebrew beers still have the yeast in them and your body may not like them. By now you probably have learned to limit yourself to one craft/homebrew per night until your body adjusts to having this yeast. Some bodies never do adjust, I'm sorry to say.

Bad ferment perhaps. Too much methanol present in a high ABV. You can get this when (improperly) distilling. You don't hear much about gut rot with beers or wines because the ABV is lower so you have a lower amount of congeners.

Methanol is not produced in beermaking, ever. Congeners are not related in any way to ABV. Almost every part of your post is incorrect.

are there any methods other than secondary fermentation and cold crashing to filter yeast out? ik when im siphoning i try to stay an inch-1/2 inch above the sediment. also ik the yeast are used for carbonating so idk if it will cause an issue with that.

Palmer says to avoid drinking the last 1/4 inch of beer in the glass to avoid concentrated yeasties. Just a thought.

Palmer says to avoid drinking the last 1/4 inch of beer in the glass to avoid concentrated yeasties. Just a thought.

You know, I guess no one really asked if he was doing that. Make sure you're not swirling up the sediment or pouring it into your beer.

I personally have never experienced any digestive issues from drinking

yeast-laden beer, but suspect it could be like lactose intolerance or other food allergies.

Is there any science to back up yeast intolerance among some individuals?

Is there any science to back up yeast intolerance among some individuals?

Unfortunately, I personally don't have a legitimate source on such a thing. I believe Palmer's mentions that it can cause indigestion, but I wouldn't call that a scientific source.

My best guess is that it would produce an abundance of CO2 in your digestive system giving you bloating and gas. Who knows though, maybe there's some kind of digestive bacteria that releases the foulest of foul when it consumes yeast cells.

I dont swirl the sediment or pour the last 1/4". nutitional intake? not much of anything nutritional really lol.

Back