Anyone know how to wire this old motor? It's from 1942.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tealio

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

You guys are so smart, someone will know about this.

I got this motor from eBay and hope it will bring my MaltMill some power.

Its a single phase, 1/4 HP, 1725 RPM , 110v Westinghouse electric motor.

Its freaking old! Made in 1942. Thats why I think it will be cool if it can hold up to my 30 pound of grain 10 gallon batches.

Anyone know how to wire it?

Attempting to google the model number just provided me my other thread where I was talking about the ebay auction....

The only wires I see are two posts, absolutely no markings or anything. As seen in photos.

img1235lh.jpg

img1236g.jpg

dang...the original westinghouse factory is right near me too!

Both my grandfather and my dad worked there at one point.

I'd say try testing it with a volmeter, chances are the motor itself might be dead.

Hopefully not dead.

eBay auction says it was functional, so I'm hoping to test it before I've held onto it for too long...

Those two posts are very likely for neutral and hot leads. The "polarity" probably doesn't matter much. If I were you, I would rig a test stand for it with a switch to briefly apply current and note the results. First, a quick test with the motor casing ungrounded, then with a ground wire attached to the motor casing/mount.

If the motor just hums and refuses to turn, but the motor shaft spins freely without power applied, you likely need a start capacitor. Westinghouse can probably still give you the specs.

EDIT: Mind you, I'm no expert. Above is the approach I would take. Be careful. If in doubt, consult an expert. An appliance repair shop could be a great asset in this situation.

Yeah I think I will email the seller and check with some local appliance shops. I'd love to get this working.

Even if it needs a starting cap, it won't hurt it to run without it...the only problem being, if it requires one (and you don't have it on there), you won't know which direction it will spin. (ever notice that the turntable in your microwave will arbitrarily run one direction or the other?)

I would wire it up with a switch and try it a few times...if it always spins the same direction, then you know you're good!

It shouldn't matter which wire goes to each terminal. They didn't have ground wire on stuff in 1942 but I would add one to the motor case.

Dude in 1942 1/4 hp = 1hp of todays power(just kidding but I think they had bigger horses back then):D That motor if it runs is probabily extremely powerful

Vintage Westinghouse 1/4 HP single phase AC electric motor in good working condition. Frame 545 Style 46A610. The motor turns at 1725 rpm and runs on 110 volt 60 cycle. It draws 4.8 amps It has the original brass/data plate, and cast iron mounting plate. The serial number is 1398039. There is a stamping 42-10-12.

Wouldn't there be a third post for additional windings if there was a start cap? I'm no expert though.

That was the auction description. I think I'll try it tonight... Will probably just hook it up to a switch and see what happens. I would want to ground it, so i'll probably just drill a hole in the base to get fresh metal and screw a ground in. Unless someone thinks another location on the motor is better.

I agree with using mounting bolt to add a ground. I would use a multimeter to measure resistance from each post to case and post to post.

It's functional!

It rotates counterclockwise.

I made a ground to the mounting bolt and just hooked up hot and neutral to each post.

Now to figure out what size pulley to use. I have heard 12" on the motor and 2" on the mill from other posts...

I think you have that backwards. The motor should have a small pulley and the mill the large pulley

Back