Anyone know about digital safe locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrFtr28

Reaction score
I recently bought a used gun safe that came with a digital lock. The guy I bought it from forgot the code. I have the lock off and have access to the circuit board, but I have no idea how to reset it to the factory password (123456). I contacted the lock manufacturer and they said send it back to them and for $45 they would reset it by reburning the eprom. I figured I would check here to see if anyone knew how I could do this before sending it to the manufacturer.

The lock is a LA GARD 3802.

If there was a way to reset the lock that any Tom/Dick/Harry could google and figure out how to do, it wouldn't be a very secure lock. I'm guessing you'll have to send it back.

... Besides, they would probably charge just as much as the manufacturer would to reburn the eprom.

Probably, but you wouldn't have to fool with mailing the thing back and forth. Besides, having a good relationship with a locksmith never hurt.

Probably, but you wouldn't have to fool with mailing the thing back and forth. Besides, having a good relationship with a locksmith never hurt.

I found some directions online on how to do it, if those don't work out I'll probably contact somebody local.

Sure, it's conductive, but soldering to it might be difficult. Many metals oxidize and make soldering really, really difficult. Aluminum is one of them.

Liquid flux makes most of these kinds of jobs easier.

I wasn't going to solder it, just use it as a temporary jumper. I found some instructions on how to reset it, but I wasn't sure if a twist tie would work. Thanks for confirming that. Unfortunately those instructions aren't working. Must be because they're for a different model, same brand though.

A paperclip would work better if it is one of the twist ties that are coated in either plastic or paper.

A paperclip would work better if it is one of the twist ties that are coated in either plastic or paper.

The paper clip worked as a jumper and the twist tie didn't. I don't think the twist tie was making contact since it's so thin. Anyway, I got the lock reset and can now actually lock my safe.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Nice work. Good job sticking with it.

Thanks, but it looks like I spoke to soon. I reset the combination and now it unlocks no problem, but it will not relock. I notice the solenoid which keeps the bolt in the locked position just freely slides in and out of its housing. It will retract just like it's supposed to when the right combo is entered, but will not extend back out. Not sure what could be wrong now. :confused:

Yea, probably. This is a total WAG. Good luck.

I think you're right about the spring. The piston won't stay extended like there is supposed to be a spring pushing it out but it's missing. I bought this safe used a couple years ago so it's hard to say what the PO did to it.

Any idea where I could find a tiny spring?

I talked with the lock manufacturer and the solenoid is missing a spring. He is going to mail me a new one (spring) at no charge.

Should be good to go after that. :mug:

Latest posts

Back