Anyone here a CPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
Where else to go for any advice than to the HBT?

So I got an assessment in the mail today from the state of North Carolina saying I owe them $1500 in taxes from 2004 and $1200 in fines and interest for my entire federal return amount. Here's the deal, 2/3 of my income from that year was from working in Massachussetts (where I was a resident, I was not a resident in NC till 2005), and the remainder was from my graduate school stipend (which at that time was considered a grant, so I got a 1098-T form for that). I know I don't have to pay the state taxes on the Massachussetts income, since I paid Mass state taxes for that. Is the 1098-T money state taxable? Before I contest this, I want to find out if I should have submitted a state income tax return this. Thanks.

Im not a CPA but I have to say. If you didn't make that money in NC and were not a resident there until the next year after you made the money why should they get it? If what your saying is you made 1/3 of your income in NC in 2004 then I can understand them taxing the 1/3 or whatever money you made in NC. And that was grad school money which I have always been under the assumption that any school money is not taxable, especially grants. Then again Im not a CPA and could be totally off, I just had to say it and want to hear what others think.

Good luck!

Back