Anyone have a simple effective partial mash system/technique that they really like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fanoffermentation

Reaction score
I am fairly new to partial mash brewing. Have a couple attempts that have gone well, but maybe it was luck. Are there any tried and true approaches to this that others have found user friendly and reproducible? I have been using a grain bag on the stovetop and sparging through a large strainer into my main brew pot for the boil and DME additions. My batches have been 2-3 gallon and it is occurring to me that it takes a long time with both 3 and 5 gallon batches, so I should make the most of my time and do larger batches probably. Any bits of wisdom?

Also, are there any big NO-NO's in the world of partial mash brewing? I prefer to learn from the colossal failures of others. Thanks so much!

I use a method similar to Deathbrewer's, there is a sticky, in the beginners forum I think. I mash on the stove in a five gallon kettle and my sparge is just a soak of the grains in a second kettle or bucket of 170 degree water for about ten minutes. It works great.

I am fairly new to partial mash brewing. Have a couple attempts that have gone well, but maybe it was luck. Are there any tried and true approaches to this that others have found user friendly and reproducible? I have been using a grain bag on the stovetop and sparging through a large strainer into my main brew pot for the boil and DME additions. My batches have been 2-3 gallon and it is occurring to me that it takes a long time with both 3 and 5 gallon batches, so I should make the most of my time and do larger batches probably. Any bits of wisdom?

Also, are there any big NO-NO's in the world of partial mash brewing? I prefer to learn from the colossal failures of others. Thanks so much!

Check out Deathbrewer's stickie.

I use a method similar to Deathbrewer's, there is a sticky, in the beginners forum I think. I mash on the stove in a five gallon kettle and my sparge is just a soak of the grains in a second kettle or bucket of 170 degree water for about ten minutes. It works great.

So you soak the grains in your sparge water for 10 mins, and then dump that into your 5 gallon kettle with the original wort? I have a 5 gallon pot and a 2.5 gallon pot. Is this sufficient to do partial mash? Deathbrewer mentions he uses two 5 gallon pots. I would like to try it my next brew but I want to make sure I have the necessary equipment beforehand.

I've read that if you don't have a mash tun, you can preheat your oven to 170 degrees, put your pot in there, turn the oven off, and mash for 1 hour. This will help maintain a good mash temp of 150-154.

So you soak the grains in your sparge water for 10 mins, and then dump that into your 5 gallon kettle with the original wort? I have a 5 gallon pot and a 2.5 gallon pot. Is this sufficient to do partial mash? Deathbrewer mentions he uses two 5 gallon pots. I would like to try it my next brew but I want to make sure I have the necessary equipment beforehand.

Well, I usually shoot for five pounds of grain in the partial portion. So, a 2.5 gallon pot isn't going to be big enough to sparge that. I used to just sparge in my 10 gallon brew kettle and then add the original wort and top off water to that. Another method I've used is to take an old seven gallon food grade fermentation bucket for the sparge. I heated the sparge water in a similar 2.5 gallon kettle and put that in the bucket and then just let the grain bag sit in it for ten minutes before mixing it back into the five gallon main kettle, just make sure you are using a bucket that is appropriate for 170 degree water.

I use a 3 gallon pot, strike/soak my biab with about 1.5 - 2g water, and sparge/rinse the grain satchel with another half gallon, into the same pot. Works good.

Nice link to his method. That looks like it would suit my setup at present. I worry that my conversion would suck at first. Maybe I'll overshoot and worst case scenario I'll have really strong beer. Worse things could happen i suppose.

Back