Anyone Have a Recipe for Belhaven Best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rudeboy

Reaction score
On my recent trip to Scotland whenever I couldn't get any thing on cask I was drinking Belhaven Best on nitro and really came to like it. So much so it pushed me over the top to get a nitro set up.

So next up is an attempt to clone Belhaven Best. I see recipes for their 80/- and St. Andrews and Stout but not the Best.

Any tried and true recipes? Any data on SRM, IBU's, etc.? I see on the site the kegged beer is 3.2% ABV so that's a start.

Thanks

Rudeboy

Did you ever get a recipe for this? I am going to try to make it myself. Went on my honeymoon over there and it is brewed where my relatives are from! Let me know if you found one.

No, I never did get any response nor see any recipe anywhere so I just winged it.

3.4 KG Golden Promise
400 g 60L Crystal
50 g Black Patent Malt

20 g Fuggles 60 min
20 g EKG 60 min
15 g Fuggles 30 min
15 g Fuggles 15 min

Mash 154 F

74% efficiency for
1.039 OG
1.010 FG
for 3.77% ABV

12.2 SRM
29.7 IBU

1728 Wyeast Scottish Ale at 65 F

Pushed it with nitro through a stout faucet. It's not Belhaven Best but you can see it from there. Should have taken better notes to know what to change. I wrote "would make a little darker next time. Or not."

Good luck let me know how it goes

Rudeboy

Camra's Brew Your Own British Real Ale has 3 Belhaven recipes including 60/-, 80/- and wee heavy.

Hi David,

How did you go with this? A mate of mine if from Dunbar is RAVES about Bellhavens best. Was going to make a 1 gal version to see how it goes.

Just having a look to find out what hops and malts are used in the best and I came across this website.

https://www.beer-genius.co.uk/our-beer-brands/18/belhaven-best

MALT: Pale, crystal, black
HOPS: Challenger, Goldings

Might try and wing a clone of best. I live in Scotland so I could easily compare the 2 :)

Back