Anyone going to the 2018 Homebrew Con in Portland Oregon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for stopping by the side of the South Sound Suds booth for my cider/mead. I can't remember if I poured you NE Cider, dessert pyment or Alcoholic Candy.

Cheers--
Michael

Yes- to all of the above!

I especially like that mead that won you mazer of the year! It was so nice seeing you again,

HA.... I will second that. Don't think I will be traveling to the east coast any more than the west!
Same sentiments for it being on the other side of the U.S. for me. I’d rather spend 3 hours on the road paying for gas vs the pain and cost of air travel. I was just so thankful that it was close this year. Now, if it were more mid U.S. then it might be a different story.

I am glad it will be east coast this year as RI is only a couple hour drive for me, so I hope to go to my first HBC, but....Providence? Not exactly a good beer scene there. Only one brewery I even know about in RI (Tilted Barn) and that probably a half hour from there and very small. Boston would have been better. Oh well, still looking forward to it.

Recognizing that proximity is important to attendance, the conference location does move all over the country. We'll be in Providence next year and in the midwest/south, the year after.

I'm hoping everyone is enjoying the changes to the conference format. I find that the deletion of the banquet and substitution of the award ceremony/knockout party is much better. The other thing that is helpful to everyone, is that all the bottles of untouched Second Round beers are served at the knockout party. While you won't have any idea who brewed a bottle, you are assured that they are pretty good beers since they made it to the second round.

Congrats to Wilcox on his medal!

I wish there was a way to have a few locations going. I heard a little bit about what they did with the Pacific Northwest Homebrewers Conference and I would think that there should be a way to get a few of those around the country going regularly.

Kind of like how I think Penny Arcade Expo has an east (Boston), west (Seattle), and south (San Antonio) expo every year.

Not that I'd want to have it at those locations.

But I'm looking forward to whatever @Yooper comes up with for next year for the Midwest & Western Great Lakes Regional Homebrewers Conference. And I know @Braufessor is too :D. I think it would be nice to have it the weekend after some local fishing season opener.

Last edited:
Recognizing that proximity is important to attendance, the conference location does move all over the country. We'll be in Providence next year and in the midwest/south, the year after.

I'm hoping everyone is enjoying the changes to the conference format. I find that the deletion of the banquet and substitution of the award ceremony/knockout party is much better. The other thing that is helpful to everyone, is that all the bottles of untouched Second Round beers are served at the knockout party. While you won't have any idea who brewed a bottle, you are assured that they are pretty good beers since they made it to the second round.

I really like the changes- I went to a few of the banquets, in the earlier years, but found that they were expensive and not as good as a similiar priced meal in an upscale restaurant so it wasn’t enjoyable for me. I did like to see the awards, though- so I’m glad we have the format now.

It was nice seeing you Martin- I feel like these conferences are often more about seeing old friends and making new ones than attending as many seminars as I used too. I saw a couple of people that I met in 2008 in Cincinnati and havent’ seen since, so we were able to catch up.

I was spending quite a bit of time with some folks that haven’t been around HBT in several years- and all three of them have had two children each in the meantime! Time really does fly!

@mwilcox ’s mead was awesome.

The other thing that is helpful to everyone, is that all the bottles of untouched Second Round beers are served at the knockout party. While you won't have any idea who brewed a bottle, you are assured that they are pretty good beers since they made it to the second round.
There were some good ones, unfortunately they ran out way too early.

I am glad it will be east coast this year as RI is only a couple hour drive for me, so I hope to go to my first HBC, but....Providence? Not exactly a good beer scene there. Only one brewery I even know about in RI (Tilted Barn) and that probably a half hour from there and very small. Boston would have been better. Oh well, still looking forward to it.

Boston likely would have been too expensive for many to attend. I think Portland was at the limit with hotels at around $200 a night. I've been going to the conference since Oakland in '09 and while many of them have been in good beer locations, this is definitely more about the homebrewer scene. Getting new area homebrew clubs to attend is the name of the game. I get a lot of enjoyment meeting a bunch of people out in regions where I'd otherwise never meet them. That is the motivation for me to travel as far as I have to.

However, it is nice once in a while when it comes within driving distance so the clubs I'm involved in can drag their beer out for homebrew night. I do try to get out and visit some breweries but many of the larger regional breweries will show up for the Thursday night beerfest anyway. Also don't forget that there are a bunch of vendors that won't travel too far due to costs so moving around the country allows for the expo scene to change.

Back