Anyone ever use the Leaktite lids from Home Depot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure, but you'll still have to drill lit and put an airlock in as the pressure would blow something off. Either the lid or the bucket, most likely the lid.
Why drill a hole into a 8 dollar lid when you can get a 2 dollar lid?

do the standard lids have a gasket? I assumed they didn't but I guess I haven't looked. I ferment in a carboy and a better bottle but a bucket seems easier and cheaper so I am just now looking into it.

I just picked up one of these and used it for my last batch. I love it.

I silicone sealed the adapter portion down to my fermentor and put a hole and grommet through the lid portion. I find that my seal is much better than it was with the other bucket lid I was using and I can open it so much easier. I don't know how many cheap lids I cracked when I was unsealing them, probably enough to make up the difference in cost.

The standard $2 Homer lids are gasketed, too, and plenty safe as your beer does not contact the lid. Of course, as an airtight lid is grossly unnecessary (like an airlock), whatever you do here is purely for your own entertainment. There's lots of other stuff you could be buying and drilling and siliconing that will actually help you make beer.

But I suspect this advice will go unappreciated. :)

I bought a lot of 10 of the white buckets and the standard airtight lids for grain storage from Home Depot. The 5 gallon ones will fit 25# of grain, and seal up nice and tight.

Last year, I bought three 6 gallon buckets (http://beprepared.com/6-gallon-buck...&oc=GOOGLELA&gclid=CLiYu6z9sL4CFZRcfgodkFgAZA) to use as fermenters, and drilled a 1/2" hole in the lids to put an airlock. I simply put a small piece of spare hose on the end of the airlock, and jammed it in the hole. Worked great for the 3 batches I did then, and the several I've done since.

I just picked up one of these and used it for my last batch. I love it.

I silicone sealed the adapter portion down to my fermentor and put a hole and grommet through the lid portion. I find that my seal is much better than it was with the other bucket lid I was using and I can open it so much easier. I don't know how many cheap lids I cracked when I was unsealing them, probably enough to make up the difference in cost.

Awesome! Good to hear! I might have to snag one!

The standard $2 Homer lids are gasketed, too, and plenty safe as your beer does not contact the lid. Of course, as an airtight lid is grossly unnecessary (like an airlock), whatever you do here is purely for your own entertainment. There's lots of other stuff you could be buying and drilling and siliconing that will actually help you make beer.

But I suspect this advice will go unappreciated. :)

Cool, the Homer lids will probably win then haha. Thanks for your input!

While the homer lids have gaskets I've found that they crack really easily. The ale pale lids from the homebrew store are much more durable and none of mine leak even though they are a pain to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use one for my star san... the gasket stretched out and fell out.
Personally I wouldn't use it for fermenting because of the pain to clean it properly between batches.
I wouldn't silicone it to the bucket either... again, not so easy to clean, and in reality, not many sealants will permanently stick to polypropylene... certainly not clear silicone.

I have buckets with gamma lids to use for grain storage, but I would never consider using one on a fermentation bucket. WAY too many impossible-to-clean nooks and crannies for no apparent gain. Plus, they're four times the cost of a regular lid.

To each his own, though.

Yeah, my initial excitement is getting tempered after a good cleaning. It defeats the purpose of an easy to clean bucket if it takes five times as long to clean the lid.

While the homer lids have gaskets I've found that they crack really easily. The ale pale lids from the homebrew store are much more durable and none of mine leak even though they are a pain to open.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That's a good point actually, I have had cracks--mostly in ones I try to put holes in for some reason or another, but some just from use.

I use the Gamma lids for storing my grain.

I would not use them for fermenting. The krausen will get up into the ring that stays on the bucket and would be very difficult to clean. The outside rings are much more difficult to remove than a standard gasket-ed lit. You would probably damage it trying to remove it to clean underneath.

Home Depots orange lids have the gasket.

I have buckets with gamma lids to use for grain storage, but I would never consider using one on a fermentation bucket. WAY too many impossible-to-clean nooks and crannies for no apparent gain. Plus, they're four times the cost of a regular lid.

To each his own, though.

Exactly what I thought too, they are great though for sealing up bulk grain.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back