Anyone ever brewed with Mustard Seed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be trying this thanks! I think you may be right about oil being extracted in the boil, it may work better.

How long has this flat beer been in the bottles and at what temp? If it's under three weeks and below 70 degrees for that time, THAT's the real reason the beer's not carbed...it's not time yet.

How long has this flat beer been in the bottles and at what temp? If it's under three weeks and below 70 degrees for that time, THAT's the real reason the beer's not carbed...it's not time yet.

You're right, I'll give more time to her. But normally in 2 weeks its ok, like the others beers that I bottled in the same day. The temp here is between 19ºc and 23°c.

I've used a little lecithin in the boil to successfully deal with the head robbing traits of oily ingredients. I add it in the last 15 min. of the boil. It is an emulsifier and helps to get the oil into suspension, and not floating on top.

I'm also suspicious that once emulsified, it is also then available for the yeast to take up and metabolize during fermentation.

I've used a little lecithin in the boil to successfully deal with the head robbing traits of oily ingredients. I add it in the last 15 min. of the boil. It is an emulsifier and helps to get the oil into suspension, and not floating on top.

I'm also suspicious that once emulsified, it is also then available for the yeast to take up and metabolize during fermentation.

what kind of lecithin ?

The more expensive way is to buy capsules of it in the health food aisle at the grocery store (it is sold as a nutritional supplement). I looked around more at one store and found for much less, a bottle of it in liquid form. This is it's natural state, it pours like malt extract and DOES NOT readily mix with water. Eventually it will disappear in the boil, probably once it grabs ahold of any oil and does it's emulsifying thing.

I also bought some granulated stuff that I haven't played with yet. This I bought off of Amazon.com. I'm not sure what they do to get it in a granular form. I have not yet tested how well this form dissolves yet

It being near Halloween; RAISE, RAISE !
So who brewed a test batch? How was it? How much mustard seed did you use? did any one try with a bottled mustard? Would that even work?

Thanks!

Back