Anyone Else a Glutton for Punishment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Who else is that guy who braves the hottest wing on the menu at a hot wings joint? Me and my cousin did it last night (we do it every year when he comes to visit). One "Braveheart" wing. Just one wing. The 30 minutes of searing pain in your mouth is just the beginning. Today, the bastard is mounting its secondary offensive, against my digestive system. Between the stomach pains, the diarrhea, and the "brown ring of fire" (by far the worst part of it all), I'm a hurtin' mf'er.

Yay wings!

That'll learn ya!

:D

When I am on a down phase from hot food, I'll get the craving for a massive Endorphin high and I'll gobble down tons of hot stuff. Usually the mouth isn't the worst part. I have found though that if you keep eating hot stuff all the time that all goes away. This is kind of why I go in cycles as I just end up trying to get that rush but you end up eating tons of it and the effect is less and less over time. I parallel it to the hophead syndrome.

We used to go to this Irish place near where we lived in NH. One night after not having wings for a while I decided I would get their hot wings. Needless to say I had to go to the bathroom 4 times to change the paper towel I was using to wipe the sweat from my body.

One of the guys I roomed with in college had this really hot stuff his dad kept at home. Kind of like the stuff some places make you sign a waiver for and try on a toothpick. Iv'e never done that, not sure that I want to.

My wife will declare every now and then that she is craving spicy food, so we will spend the next Saturday cooking and sweating. Our last menu included:

Breakfast:
Garbage Eggs soaked in tobasco and jalepeno's
Hash browns with Jalepeno slices

Lunch:
Habanero pico de guillo
Chicken wings in a habanero sauce

Dinner:
Curried chicken from hell :D
roasted jalepenos wrapped in bacon

It was awesome, but the next couple days are allways a wee bit painful...

I once ate a whole habanero on a dare, I kind of liked the flavor but the heat made fluids pour out of every orifice in my head, snot, tears, saliva, it even felt like it loosened the was in my ears. luckily I didnt have any stomach issues afterward. while they're not quite as hot as habaneros my favorite pepper is the thai chili, they're a little hard to find but if your making wings or anything spicy they have the best flavor and a lot of heat.

Who else is that guy who braves the hottest wing on the menu at a hot wings joint? Me and my cousin did it last night (we do it every year when he comes to visit). One "Braveheart" wing. Just one wing. The 30 minutes of searing pain in your mouth is just the beginning. Today, the bastard is mounting its secondary offensive, against my digestive system. Between the stomach pains, the diarrhea, and the "brown ring of fire" (by far the worst part of it all), I'm a hurtin' mf'er.

Yay wings!

Wild Wing Cafe used to serve "The 9th Chamber of Hell," which was one step above Braveheart, but it wasn't on the menu. I split an order with my friends once. The result going in and going out was about the same as yours. One guy in the group started crying. It was pretty awesome.

. while they're not quite as hot as habaneros my favorite pepper is the thai chili, they're a little hard to find but if your making wings or anything spicy they have the best flavor and a lot of heat.

A good friend of mine filled a half-full bottle of Tito's vodka with dried thai chilis and topped it off with Everclear. He let it steep for ~1month then drained and strained. The liquor was an awesome amber color.

I tried a dab of it on my tongue and I could feel my taste buds *POP*. He made this to add to his chili and other spiced food. Definitely not for shooting.

the third burn is always the worst.

Love the spicy food though. Although just plain hot isn't good. I like really good flavor with a big kick.

B

the third burn is always the worst.

Love the spicy food though. Although just plain hot isn't good. I like really good flavor with a big kick.

B

+1 The thing I hate about most places is that their "hot" food should be labeled "hot and flavorless". I don't mind sweating like a fiend while eating something but dammit, it better taste good to.

Any of you guys ever try Dried Mango in chili powder? man that stuff's tasty. Hot food has become a love of mine as of late, although Wings aren't something you find much of down here, but hot mexican food is another story, I love me some camarón de diablo, done extra spicy. Usually when I order this from the hole-in-the-wall mexican place the cook will give me a wierd look like "oh man, white boy gonna fry!"

I like hot, but I'm more of a Jalepeno without the seeds type of guy. I just pulled a lifetime supply of them off of a single plant in the garden. I'm thinking about pureeing them and freezing a baggy of it so I can chop off a sliver in all my cooking.

Jalepenos have a nice flavor and mellow heat, if you have that many you can preserve them in a lot different ways. dried, smoked, stored in oil, pickled...

In my younger days I was an idiot for getting totally smashed and finishing of the night with a really hot curry. Of course, this was only if I didn't get laid, so I had a LOT of curries!

What is it about beer, bravado and spices? I used to have curries that would turn you inside out, beat your intestines with a stick, and not even have the decency to piss on my ass to put out the fire.

There is nothing worse than waking up in a gutter, and finding that street kids are using your ridiculously dilated ******* for basketball practice!

Who else is that guy who braves the hottest wing on the menu at a hot wings joint?
As I've gotten older, I've moved to the mild side of the menu. SWMBO's still a fan of the hot stuff, though probably not what you describe. Recently at a hot wings joint, she talked me into somewhere in the medium section of the scale; paid for it.

Rick

Quaker Steak & Lube's got some very hot wings. They are called Atomic and folks sign a waiver before eating them. :D I had a colleague eat 6 and changed 4 shades of red before my eyes. Unbelievably, he licked his fingers and then proceeded to drink a Lube Tube of beer.

I like a little heat and love chicken wings but I definitely enjoy it more the day of than the day after. :cross:

A little story for you hot food daredevils:

A friend I work with drank a cup (8oz) of hot sauce on a dare one day at work. For money, I'm sure. No issues initially. As the day wore in, everyone noticed the side of his face swelling. Soon enough it almost looked like he had a goiter developing, so he stopped at the ER where the doc told him to eat some salty chips. Apparently the hot sauce caused his salivary gland ducts to shut, retaining the saliva which kept being produced. Once he ate a few salty chips, his salivary glands let go...more than a mouthful of saliva. :eek:

I like a little heat and love chicken wings but I definitely enjoy it more the day of than the day after. :cross:

A little story for you hot food daredevils:

A friend I work with drank a cup (8oz) of hot sauce on a dare one day at work. For money, I'm sure. No issues initially. As the day wore in, everyone noticed the side of his face swelling. Soon enough it almost looked like he had a goiter developing, so he stopped at the ER where the doc told him to eat some salty chips. Apparently the hot sauce caused his salivary gland ducts to shut, retaining the saliva which kept being produced. Once he ate a few salty chips, his salivary glands let go...more than a mouthful of saliva. :eek:

Man, that is just gross thinking about that. Talk about a drooler :D

Only wings I've found that I actually cannot eat (not to say there aren't others out there0 is here in Columbus at a place called Whiskey Dick's- the "Viper Sauce"

That stuff will have you leaving finger nails embedded in the bottom of your toilet seat. :eek:

I love the hot food, and will be adding a whole thai hot into my stir fry tonight.
Hot is good, STUPID HOT, not so good. I used to grow habaneros, to hot for me.

A friend and I once took a bet to see who could eat a fresh habenero pepper. We stood right across from each other, like in a gun fight, and ate away. I don't think either of us actually was able to swallow any. My throat closed. We ended up eating a whole loaf of bread and about a gallon of milk each trying to kill the pain. Man, that was stupid... heh

Dumbest thing I ever did pepper related was clean out th garden at the end of the year, had some Habs left on the plants, used composter on lawnmower to grind everything up reall good. throat closed, eyes water, etc. I called a friend to take me to the hospital. Now all pepper plants get thrown in the trash.

Dumbest thing I ever did pepper related was clean out th garden at the end of the year, had some Habs left on the plants, used composter on lawnmower to grind everything up reall good. throat closed, eyes water, etc. I called a friend to take me to the hospital. Now all pepper plants get thrown in the trash.

AHAHAHAHAHA dork.

My dad was growing 10 habanero plants in South Florida, didnt know each plant gives like 50 peppers. Well one night he woke up to someone in the back yard screaming. He goes out to see what the problem was and finds a Raccoon writing about with a half eaten Habanero laying next to him.

My dad said he never laughed so hard.

I still get my stones busted by my buddies wife about that one..

She fries up Habaneros in hot oil and puts them on food! I don't know how she does it. I have seen her eat like that, and makes my flinch just thinking about it.

I'm not a champion fire eater by any means, but I really like this Asian hot sauce called Sriracha. It has a garlicy flavor and lots of heat to compliment. I'll pour that stuff on until my eyes water.

I grew habaneros a few years ago and I still have the dried peppers. I can't even touch those little SOBs without my hands burning for many hours afterward.

I grew some habaneros a few years ago and almost tried one until a friend warned me about the possibility of burning out my taste buds. Is there any way to eat really hot foods and reduce the painful effect the next day?

wow, you guys are more bold than I...I just like things a little spicy, makes me feel good though

When I have a garden... next year it will be back... I grow alot of peppers. I usually can them all. I still have a couple jars from about 2 years ago! They are fantastic and are SO much tastier than the ones that you buy at the store.

There is a BBQ restaurant in Fort Wayne, IN called Ziffles... they have AWESOME BBQ... and alot of it is hot as hell. They have this thing called HOT FRIES, SO painful, but so tasty! Thier hot sauces and HOT BBQ sauces on thier pork are all so flavorful that you cannot stop eating them, but you are crying the entire time! It took me an hour to finish my pulled pork sandwich, and the hot fries (fries with thier HOT BBQ sauce and seasoning) were SO good, but the most painful of all. The next day, I was a mess... I have never had such intestinal issues in my life.

BTW If ever in Fort Wayne, YOU HAVE to go to Ziffles... small, family type restaurant, and they know most of thier customers by name. BEST BBQ I have EVER had in all my travels.

I grew some habaneros a few years ago and almost tried one until a friend warned me about the possibility of burning out my taste buds. Is there any way to eat really hot foods and reduce the painful effect the next day?

Binge and purge?

I'm not a champion fire eater by any means, but I really like this Asian hot sauce called Sriracha. It has a garlicy flavor and lots of heat to compliment. I'll pour that stuff on until my eyes water.
I love that sauce! I have a bottle of it in my fridge... I use it on everything from Mac and cheese, to an asian sauce that I make for asparagus!

Soy Sauce
Sriracha
Sugar
Crushed Red Pepper
Garlic
Apfelwein

Dark, slightly sweet, salty, spicy and sticky... YUM!

It is funny I should see this thread this morning. Last night, SWMBO and I decided to get Thai food for dinner, and on some dumb whim, I decided to get mine "hot". It was the hottest thing I had ever eaten, and went through 3/4 of a gallon of milk trying to get that hot taste out of my mouth. The thing is I normally always order my food with "medium" spice. Last time I get hot.

It is funny I should see this thread this morning. Last night, SWMBO and I decided to get Thai food for dinner, and on some dumb whim, I decided to get mine "hot". It was the hottest thing I had ever eaten, and went through 3/4 of a gallon of milk trying to get that hot taste out of my mouth. The thing is I normally always order my food with "medium" spice. Last time I get hot.

Huh...I usually go hot at the thai places. The one time I decided to go beyond that to "Native Thai" level, I was in almost the same boat that the Bravehearts put me in. But that's a different kind of heat than the wings...

One year, we also took turns around the patio table cutting slices from a habanero and eating them. This is worse than just eating a whole habanero because all you need is that little slice...and just about the point where your mouth is starting to cool off again, the pepper has made its way back around to you. Ow, ow, ow.

Huh...I usually go hot at the thai places. The one time I decided to go beyond that to "Native Thai" level, I was in almost the same boat that the Bravehearts put me in. But that's a different kind of heat than the wings...

One year, we also took turns around the patio table cutting slices from a habanero and eating them. This is worse than just eating a whole habanero because all you need is that little slice...and just about the point where your mouth is starting to cool off again, the pepper has made its way back around to you. Ow, ow, ow.

Evan!, please don't take this wrong but I'm beginning to question your common sense. :D

Man, this thread is making me sweat.... :)

I'm a sucker for banana peppers and jalapenos. My favorite hotsauce right now is "Professor Phardtpounder's Colon Cleaner Hot Sauce", I'd say it's medium but with a lot of sweet flavour (really good on BBQ'd on chicken). And it DOES live up to it's name if you have enough....

My other latest find is "Key West Key Lime Hot Sauce". Very nice, not to hot and apple cider vinegar in it makes for an interesting flavour... I'm going to have to try this in my next chili instead of tabasco sauce.

What is this "common sense" you speak of, and where can I get some? WalMart, perhaps?

You can, but it's made in China. I find it's easier to go to Home Depot and buy yourself a clue by four, and have the wifey smack you in the back of the head a few times....works like a champ

(and my buddy says that same line all of the time, cracks me the eff up)

I'm with you Evan,

I was raised with habeneros, jelepenos, and thai chilis on the table every night. You can easily eat an habenero as long as you have a little tolerance, and you chew each bite with a large mouthful of food.

Spicyness is like many things, you start out not liking it, and if you are crazy enough to keep eating it, you eventually like it. Then, over time, you crave it.

Back