Anyone do this before?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondjt

Reaction score
I wanted to drain what was left in the tubing after dough in. Didn’t notice the other end of the tube was in the HLT. It created a super fast siphon and before I could do anything, I dropped and shattered my Erlenmeyer flask. Looks like it’s going to be one of those brew days.

I shall attempt to interpret our friend's story:

He had pulled sufficient water from his HLT for the strike volume and intended to drain the water remaining in the hose he used into an e-flask. But, because the other end of the hose was still submerged in the HLT, it siphoned from the HLT and overfilled his e-flask so quickly he dropped it - likely 'cuz an e-flask filled with strike temperature water is gonna be wicked hot to handle.

I'd say it's a candidate entry to the "Don't Do That" thread...

Cheers!

The tubing going from my HLT to mash tun is connected to the ball valve on the HLT. I need to drain it every time so that it doesn't drip all over the floor.

I don't understand the problem, I guess because I wouldn't be trying to drain into a flask - ever. Especially with something that could start a siphon with 168ish degree water.

You guys got it. I usually drain into a handled gallon jug but the flask happened to be within arm’s reach and the brain was off.

Put a valve on the pot, use that to fill the mash tun to the desired amount, turn off the valve and allow the tubing to drain into the mash tun. Stop with the draining into another vessel. Remove the possibility of setting up a siphon of hot water.

Back