Anyone brew with hop hash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
I have three of the sample bags (4.2 grams)of Hash Session from Sweetwater and wanna brew with them but have no idea what 4.2 grams of hash would equal in ounces. I emailed them but didn't get a response, thoughts?

.148 ounces of concentrated resinous hops sounds like a lot of pellet/whole equivalency. I've heard they can vary in concentration and power. I think you're just going to have to brew a big one and find out, and please share your results. Sounds like a great experiment. How did you get them?

I have three of the sample bags (4.2 grams)of Hash Session from Sweetwater and wanna brew with them but have no idea what 4.2 grams of hash would equal in ounces. I emailed them but didn't get a response, thoughts?

Where did you order them? I have had the beer, I would like to try that out as well.

Friend/bar owner gave them to me. Think he got them from a Sweetwater rep doing a tap takeover one night. Bag says it takes 50 lbs of hops to get 1 lb of hash, just a factoid I don't see how it's helpful.

How did it go? I impulse bought 2oz of Chinook hop hash and 2 oz of Idaho 7 hop hash from morebeer today. Was just refilling some of my ingredients, and saw it but couldn't say no. If you have any insights into what to do with it, I would much appreciate hearing about it.

Friend/bar owner gave them to me. Think he got them from a Sweetwater rep doing a tap takeover one night. Bag says it takes 50 lbs of hops to get 1 lb of hash, just a factoid I don't see how it's helpful.

Well if you assume the conservation of alpha acids, then 0.02 oz of hop hash would equal 1 oz of the original hop. So, just multiply the amount of regular hops, of whatever variety you would use, by 0.02 to determine how much hash of the same variety to use. The equivalence also works out to 0.57 grams per oz.

Brew on :mug:

Trying to resurrect this thread as I just bought 4 ounces from Yakima Valley Hops. Any feedback from anyone that used it in their brews? The YVH one didn't indicate the hop variety so I'm assuming it's probably from several varieties. I'm probably going to try it out in a pale ale, IPA, and/or DIPA. My plan is to use it at sub-isomerization temps in the whirlpool, and/or for dry hopping.

I called them about this last week and the guy said this hop hash is from centennial hops. He also said they would be getting other varieties over the next few weeks

I've used hop-hash twice now and it's IMO only for dry hop. Use in a ratio of about 1 oz hash per 4 oz pellet. If you use it in the boil, I found it inparts a lot of tea like flavors that I did not like. Dry hop however was awesome, even five weeks into the keg. Also.....I did a split batch of an APA. 3 oz dry hop with cascade for one , 1oz Idaho 7 on the other. Wow both were great, but the #7 was excellent and next time I'm leaving out the late boil additions because the hop hash dominates everything else in flavor and aroma. Potentially it's a great way to make a flavorful and aromatic ally hoppy beer with little hop investment.

I've used hop-hash twice now and it's IMO only for dry hop. Use in a ratio of about 1 oz hash per 4 oz pellet. If you use it in the boil, I found it inparts a lot of tea like flavors that I did not like. Dry hop however was awesome, even five weeks into the keg. Also.....I did a split batch of an APA. 3 oz dry hop with cascade for one , 1oz Idaho 7 on the other. Wow both were great, but the #7 was excellent and next time I'm leaving out the late boil additions because the hop hash dominates everything else in flavor and aroma. Potentially it's a great way to make a flavorful and aromatic ally hoppy beer with little hop investment.

Nice, thanks for the feedback. Mine should arrive tomorrow. Looking forward to experimenting with it.

Sorry to necro an old thread. I ran across this while looking for a way to use the YVH hop hash as well. Since it's centennial, i'll likely use it in a Two Hearted clone.

I just packaged a single hop Simcoe IPA that I could resist adding an ounce of the Centennial HopHash to. So that was just 1 of 6 total ounces in the dry hop. I'm getting an earthy undertone I normally don't get from Simcoe but we'll see how it ends up after the beer carbed & the yeast/settle a bit from racking.

Added 2oz (dry hop) Simcoe Hop Hash to a Black IPA last month. Amazing. IMO if you use them for anything other than whirlpool/dry hop you're boiling off all the goodness.

My Hop hash experiment is going to be a double IPA recipe with Ekuanot. All Ekuanot, both hash and leaf pellets.

Still working out my grains, but I have a bag of Dingeman's belgian pale I need to use, so that's where I will start.

I have heard good things about Ekuanot, and not yet used it.

Back