Anyone Brew With Extract Only ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FoReel

Reaction score
Not much response to my questions about brewing with Briess ...so let me ask this a different way. Does anyone brew with extract only ? No steeping grains or anything ... Or does extract brewing usually mean adding some grains in addition to the extract.

Can a decent beer be made with extracts only?

Thanks

Tim

You can make beer without steeping grains. Some extracts out there already have a little bit of those other grains malted in their make-up.

AG whenever possible and extract with steeping of specialty grains when in desperate need for beer but not much time to brew... In summary 1 extract every 5-6 AG batches.

When I first started the guy at the brewshop did not say anything about grains. I thought extract was the only way to make beer. So yes you can make amazing award winning beer with extract.

6 years in to the hobby I prefer AG but to each his own.

Brew on brother

Can a decent beer be made with extracts only?

I even made a phenomenal (IMO) hefeweizen using a prehopped extract can. Here was the recipe:

One 3.75lb Cooper's Wheat prehopped LME can
2lbs Briess Wheat DME
1.1lb (500 grams) Cooper's Light Dry Malt
Used Bayonne New Jersey tap water
One packet Wyeast 3068

Sat in primary for two weeks and bottled - bottle primed with one and a half Cooper's Carb Drops... yes... I cut them in half and it's a pain LOL.

Came out awesome. My wife and father-in-law like it better than my favorite hefeweizen Franziskaner, and sometimes I do too... heck... if not most of them time. And I feel ashamed to say that as it's been my favorite hefe for years! And yes, I've had oh so many and have been to Germany over a dozen times and have sampled many hefe's so it pains me to say that.

Now, I have to ask something and I'm just curious... why ask? I'm sooo NOT trying to cause any conflict here, I'm merely wondering what brought about the question. Steeping grains is so ridiculously simple I don't think anyone should ever rule it out. It takes no more equipment and only about another 30 minutes steeping time and offers so much more. So I'm just wondering, that's all. Please don't take my questioning the wrong way.

Rev.

im gonna be brewing a belgium triple that all extract any helpful hints from the experts when you comes to being an extract beer only? Ive heard from different people thats its better to add half the extracts at the start of the boil then add the rest during the last 5min, seems weird to me....whats your suggestion

Ive heard from different people thats its better to add half the extracts at the start of the boil then add the rest during the last 5min, seems weird to me....whats your suggestion

There's been much discussion about this. Are you using liquid extract or dry? Basically, in my humble opinion, for dry it doesn't matter. Of course, some will disagree. But for liquid the main reasons are that doing a full boil with LME will make the beer a little darker than expected. If the color isn't a big issue to you don't worry about it too much. Some also say the taste is slightly affected due to caramelization of the LME, I can't comment on that end as I've always added half in the beginning and half about 15 minutes left for the boil.

So, if you want just do half the LME for the full boil length and add the last half at 10-15 minutes left to the boil. I go with 15 just because it takes a few minutes to get back to the boil. Again, if you're using DME, in my humble (still noob) opinion I wouldn't worry about it and just do a full boil with the DME.

Rev.

I usually have LME kits but i got one today that was all DME. And ive always added all the LME at the start of the boil but thinking im gonna start doing a 50/50 add maybe using some hot water to dissolve the 2nd half so i get all the extract out of the jar

I usually have LME kits but i got one today that was all DME. And ive always added all the LME at the start of the boil but thinking im gonna start doing a 50/50 add maybe using some hot water to dissolve the 2nd half so i get all the extract out of the jar

Yeah, that's the pain with LME, pouring some hot (or near boiling but very carefully and with oven mits) water into the small jug opening to swirl it around and get all the LME out. But with DME I found you have to be careful as adding it to boiling water can easily create a boil over. I've learned to get the pot off the burner and make sure the water is no longer boiling before stirring it in.

I'd done it before when it was boiling with no issue but I had a disastrous boil over this past weekend and that was a learning point for me lol. Made a mess that I had to clean the next morning. Anyhow, have you tried steeping grains yet? It really can add amazingly to your beers.

Rev.

yes steeped many grains....i was just surprised when i opened the kit i got and it was all DME no grains or anything....i might buy some grains and steep them into that kit

yes steeped many grains....i was just surprised when i opened the kit i got and it was all DME no grains or anything....i might buy some grains and steep them into that kit

Ah ok, that makes more sense now. But yes, you can make a killer beer without any steeped grains, like said... I did that one recipe. I just thought maybe there was some avoidance to steeping grains, sometimes people are reluctant to jump a little further in.

Do as you see it man ;) If you can think of some grains that would really compliment the recipe go for it!

Rev.

Yeah, that's the pain with LME, pouring some hot (or near boiling but very carefully and with oven mits) water into the small jug opening to swirl it around and get all the LME out.

When I use LME, I fill my sink with hot water and put the LME container under the hot water while I'm steeping grains. Most of the LME comes out without any trouble this way and I avoid having to use hot water in the container.

i usually do the same but it always seems like im leaving some in the bottle and to me thats wasting good useful sugars and flavors

both strategies - a) extract only and b) extract with steeping grains can produce unbelievable beers. The key is really to always use more hops!

Yes, I have made many great beers with extract only. I typically make a honey/vanilla blonde that is very light in color and is quite the crowd pleaser. Without a single specialty grain added.

im gonna be brewing a belgium triple that all extract any helpful hints from the experts when you comes to being an extract beer only? Ive heard from different people thats its better to add half the extracts at the start of the boil then add the rest during the last 5min, seems weird to me....whats your suggestion

You'll have a lighter color if you do this.

Late extract additions work good to keep the color lighter but you have to be a little careful because without the extracts in the boil you'll get better usage from the bittering hops and it may turn out more bitter than intended. I brewed the brewers best cream ale kit twice once following the instructions and the second time I did a late extract addition. The second one came out noticably more bitter. A lot of guys will adjust the first hop addition to compensate for this when doing late extract additions. I never really cared about the color enough for it to matter so I just went back to following the recipes.

i usually do the same but it always seems like im leaving some in the bottle and to me thats wasting good useful sugars and flavors

Me too, I do the same but there's always still some left over in the container.

Rev.

Late extract additions work good to keep the color lighter but you have to be a little careful because without the extracts in the boil you'll get better usage from the bittering hops and it may turn out more bitter than intended. I brewed the brewers best cream ale kit twice once following the instructions and the second time I did a late extract addition. The second one came out noticably more bitter. A lot of guys will adjust the first hop addition to compensate for this when doing late extract additions. I never really cared about the color enough for it to matter so I just went back to following the recipes.
There is a flipside to this, you can make less hops go further with late extract addition. With software it is easy enough to adapt hop additions to a late extract addition so that you can get the IBUs right and the lighter color. I've not looked into what the software is doing it may be simple enough to work out on paper just as quickly.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will try a batch without any grains just to get started and see how it goes.

Rev. I feel simpler would be better to start as I really don't have a good feel for what any method might taste like. I just thought that wasting a month or so time on an extract only recipe could be avoided if that really isn't the way to go. I guess the little added time steeping some grains would not be a problem ... just not sure how that would improve things since I have nothing to compare it to ... I think I just need to get started as simple as possible and work up from there ... Thanks for your help

Tim

Me too, I do the same but there's always still some left over in the container.

Rev.

the best way i've found with the liquid is to just dunk the jug in the brew pot. get a little of that hot water in there and swish it around. you can get pretty damn close to all of it out of there

The best experience steeping grains gives you is an appreciation for how colour and body are imparted to an otherwise predictable beer.

Ok this is an old thread but, lol Bayonne had pretty good water, laughed my ass off.
I even made a phenomenal (IMO) hefeweizen using a prehopped extract can. Here was the recipe:

One 3.75lb Cooper's Wheat prehopped LME can
2lbs Briess Wheat DME
1.1lb (500 grams) Cooper's Light Dry Malt
Used Bayonne New Jersey tap water
One packet Wyeast 3068

Sat in primary for two weeks and bottled - bottle primed with one and a half Cooper's Carb Drops... yes... I cut them in half and it's a pain LOL.

Came out awesome. My wife and father-in-law like it better than my favorite hefeweizen Franziskaner, and sometimes I do too... heck... if not most of them time. And I feel ashamed to say that as it's been my favorite hefe for years! And yes, I've had oh so many and have been to Germany over a dozen times and have sampled many hefe's so it pains me to say that.

Now, I have to ask something and I'm just curious... why ask? I'm sooo NOT trying to cause any conflict here, I'm merely wondering what brought about the question. Steeping grains is so ridiculously simple I don't think anyone should ever rule it out. It takes no more equipment and only about another 30 minutes steeping time and offers so much more. So I'm just wondering, that's all. Please don't take my questioning the wrong way.

Rev.

I know this is an older I have been brewing all grain since I started three years ago, but I want to make some small batch experimental brews (ie. gruit, and other no hop veriations) to do a 2 gal batch takes almost as long as a 5 gal batch. I'd like to pour some LME into the kettle and start boiling, but I don't know anything about L/DME. Whose is the best, as I do want drinkable experiments. :mug: Help appreciated.

There was an episode of The Session a while ago as part of the Brewcaster Challenge (basically a tournament of brewing, each "matchup" featured one style of beer). Jamil Z. brewed a black IPA using 3 Mr. Beer kits and some dry hops. It was an extremely lax process and from the sounds of it, he would've come out with a fantastic beer if it weren't for some bad hops he used.

I've been AG for years but I want to try that as an experiment.

If you're using Briess LME in the 3.3lb sealed containers look at the bottom.
A time/date stamp showing production information can be found. I consider this a positive when purchasing extracts. To me, fresher is better and any producer who dates product invites customer confidence. My LBHS buys LME by the barrel, re-packages in-house, and re-prices the product. Some of what is on the shelf carries no date, so I've actually wandered over to the drum to look at the shipping data myself.
LME is relatively expensive compared to grain and I want the best I can get.

Occasionally I brew an extract only batch when I want to experiment, see Zymurgy, Last Drop, March/April 2016.
The last extract only batch I brewed was an imperial pilsner which I brewed to use up a bunch of the home grown sterlings that I had in my freezer.

Excellent beer can be made from just extract. But steeping grain is so easy and cheap that if it has any benefit it's worth adding.

I am assuming that when you say extract only, you are referring to extract without specialty grains, and not extract without hops. That being my assumption, I would say you can most definitely make some ridiculously great with extract only, and there are some fantastic extract only beer kits out there. The kits I get from Williams Brewing are extract only with hops, some sugars, but no specialty grains and they all come out great. I've also purchased some great extract with specialty grains kits from Northern Brewer and they have all turned out great as well. I honestly don't see any difference in the final product as far as enjoyment and drinkability, whether extract only or with specialty grains.

Now, if you are referring to those canned kits that are pre-hopped and just making that with no hop additions or adding other ingredients to tweak the recipes... while better than a lot of what you'd get at the grocery, I've never made one of those kits and found it memorable in any way.

If someone could point me in the direction of a really good munich malt DME I'd be willing to try extract-only brewing again. Been a little tough to find time to mash and sparge with a new, tiny roommate around, but I like munich malt too much to give up what I call "partial-extract" brewing. I max out my mash tun and add a little extract to reach my desired OG.

If someone could point me in the direction of a really good munich malt DME I'd be willing to try extract-only brewing again. Been a little tough to find time to mash and sparge with a new, tiny roommate around, but I like munich malt too much to give up what I call "partial-extract" brewing. I max out my mash tun and add a little extract to reach my desired OG.

Briess makes munich DME and vienna. I think Morebeer carries both.

@Steveruch so there are, and it looks like they've even updated the munich dme description so it doesn't look identical to the pilsner dme. Although it describes it as being made from pale ale malt while the vienna malt specifically says it is made from vienna malt. I might be splitting hairs, but it kind of matters.

Just for reference: Vienna DME, Munich DME.

Since Liquid Malt Extract is basically already made worth that has been boiled and the concentrate to syrup form, I wonder why even boil? It looks like I could add an infusion of cascade hops to the water after getting it at S.G. of 1.050 appx and then check temp and add the yeast. What advantages is there in boiling it?

If you had a gallon of water, regular water an not some "used" New Jersey water, how much LME would be needed to bring it to a SG of 1.050? With Dry Malt Extract it is even more condensed and would take a different amount to achieve the brix level you want.

One thing about the "used" water mentioned earlier on, is it will probably have a pale color already but on the plus side, should contain sufficient yeast nutrients, especially Urea for the yeast growth. Long ago a German living in Nebraska told me that our American beer tastes like hose piss. Perhaps he had "used" water made beer?

Back