Anybody successfully using a 1/6 HP motor on a mill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sensibull

Reaction score
I'm one of those guys that loves to find a use for every last thing I own and hates to spend money unnecessarily. I have an old 1/6 HP motor that used to run a jig saw. I've read that it might be underpowered to drive a crankandstein, but I'm curious if there's any evidence out there to the contrary. For what it's worth, my design will involve a slot that will allow me to load the hopper, turn on the motor, and then release the grain.

Thoughts?

i would give it a whirl. the worst that happens is you find out you need a bigger motor.

You would need to gear it down to the point of it being impractical. This would require very large sheaves and probably a double reduction. The end result would be a bulky configuration and very low rpms if you could get it to work at all. All the extra stuff needed adds to the frictional load effectively reducing the available power even more. Would be better to just get a cheap Harbor Frieght drill motor IMO.

You would need to gear it down to the point of it being impractical. This would require very large sheaves and probably a double reduction. The end result would be a bulky configuration and very low rpms if you could get it to work at all. All the extra stuff needed adds to the frictional load effectively reducing the available power even more. Would be better to just get a cheap Harbor Frieght drill motor IMO.

Appreciate the reply, and the attempt to save me some frustration. I'd found at least one example of someone using a 1/6 HP motor with the typical 10"/2" sheave alignment but they did say it didn't work if you loaded the grain first.

To get mine to work, I would have to drop at least $35 on the big sheave and belt, so if I can get a drill motor that will suffice for something in that ballpark, then it's a wash, I guess.

Appreciate the reply, and the attempt to save me some frustration. I'd found at least one example of someone using a 1/6 HP motor with the typical 10"/2" sheave alignment but they did say it didn't work if you loaded the grain first.

To get mine to work, I would have to drop at least $35 on the big sheave and belt, so if I can get a drill motor that will suffice for something in that ballpark, then it's a wash, I guess.

Here's the HF drill I would recommend:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-half-inch-heavy-duty-spade-handle-drill-93632.html

IMO, it would be a good idea to support the drill motor somehow so that it's not just hanging off the side of the mill which will cause premature wear on the roller bushings.

Thanks. That's the one I was looking at. May try using my trusty old 6A Dewalt corded before I invest in a new drill, though.

Back