Anybody else stuck on an electric stove?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b-tone

Reaction score
I've been brewing w/ extracts/ specialty grains for little over a year now while living in an apartment. I'm satified with my results for the most part as far as flavor and what not, but b/c I'm on an electric range, I've been getting color waaaay off. I know this is to be expected, particularly with concentrated extract boils.
I have recently gotten a 7.5 gallon pot to do a full boil, hoping this could help, but because of the large volume and slow heat source (I'm assuming anyway) I'm still getting pretty dark beers. Charlie P even says that electric ranges really only work for up to 4 gallons, but I thought I'd give it a shot, and it didn't seem to help much.
I'm really not noticing off flavors as a result, but it would be kick ass to actual get a really good pale ale that actually LOOKS like a pale.

Are there any other extract brewers out there with similar issues? If so, has anybody come up with any ideas to help fix it? Just curious really and thought there might be a little advice out there somewhere.

Thanks for any and all comments!

The only thing I can think of to lighten your beers is to use extra-light dry malt extract and the lightest crystal malt you can find. But if your beer tastes good and you're happy with it that's all that really matters.

I second switching to the late extract method. Since Im on an electric stove during the winter months(10 below outside right now), I have gone to using the late extract method with much better results. I have also begun to pre-heat my additional water on another burner. That way after the steep/mini-mash, I can add water that is already at the 170*+ to fill my brew kettle to the 3 gallon line for partial boils. With these two items, I have cut my time to boil by about 35% and am usually really close to my estimated SRM using Beer Smith as a guide.

Thanks a lot for the tips. I hadn't heard of the late extract method, I'll give it a shot.
I'd been using mostly DME when possilble and always using extra-light, particularly witht the LME, but this should help get it right. THanks again for the help.

I brewed my first couple of batches on my electric stove, and I know what you mean. Right after thanksgiving I advertised on a Craig's list for a turkey fryer. I got a reply and bought one for $10. I have to hook my propane bottle to it, but man it is so much faster than the electric stove. Plus if you have a boil over, it is easier to clean up on the porch.

Rick

b-tone said:
I've been brewing w/ extracts/ specialty grains for little over a year now while living in an apartment. I'm satified with my results for the most part as far as flavor and what not, but b/c I'm on an electric range, I've been getting color waaaay off. I know this is to be expected, particularly with concentrated extract boils......it would be kick ass to actual get a really good pale ale that actually LOOKS like a pale. Are there any other extract brewers out there with similar issues? If so, has anybody come up with any ideas to help fix it? Just curious really and thought there might be a little advice out there somewhere. Thanks for any and all comments!
Go here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=16936 and see some of my late extraction pics.

I only boil 1.5 gals of water and add up to 4 gals of PUR filtered tap in my freezer for 4-5 hours prior to brewing. There's oxygen already in there so you don't need to aerate after mixing the wort and water together.

I'm on an electric and I do 3 gallon boils. Haven't done a pale ale yet but my beers seem to come out consistent and their color is accurate for what I'm aiming for. I've done a stout an Irish red and an Amber and they all came out good. It does suck having to wait forever to get it up to boil though. I am going to look into a turkey fryer and a larger kettle in the near future for larger boils but right now it's good enough.

Dan

I'm stuck with an electric stove, fortunately I only have to try to cook on it. I hate electric stoves, seven simmer settings and one scorch.

I do occasionally mash on the stove. If I have a lot of oats or rye in a recipe, I'll pre-cook in my old tun and then mash-in.

One thing I've come across is that your IBU's will be all different with the late extraction method. They come out a lot more hoppier, in my experience, which isn't saying too much. But I thought I'd throw that in there.

You could split your ingrediants and do two 3 gal boils and just mix them together in the fermenter. You can bring 3 gallons to a boil easier than 7 on an electric stove. Seems like a PITA but I've done it several times and it works very well. Plus 15 to 20 qt SS pots can be had for less than $20. Dollar General has 15qt for $15.

Just a thought...

Back