Any way to ensure I'm getting fresh 2012 hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogphish

Reaction score
I want to make a whole leaf Amarillo and Simcoe IPA. I saw that all the major online stores were out of one or the other last month. Now rebelbrewer.com seems to have both in stock.

Any chance that they got a new shipment of year old hops in, or does this pretty much mean that they got fresh hops in?

Could be either way. But I would get on the phone and call 'em and ask 'em!

Labelpeelers.com and HopsDirect.com are my favorite hops sources on the Internet, and they both typically list what year the crop is. They both have GREAT discounts on bulk hops!!

If it's Amarillo and Simcoe, you're 99% certain to get 2011 crop. There just isn't much of it going around yet. The leaf hops were just recently bailed, and really haven't been cut down into homebrew-sized portions yet. Hops are just now going through the pelletizer, so if it's pellets, you can guarantee it's 2011.

If you want 2012 leaf Simcoe and Amarillo. freshops.com is the only source you'll find right now.

thanks for the replies, everyone. sounds like feshhops.com is the way to go.

i DO like to go to hopsdirect.com, but i don't plan on using a whole pound of any variety of hops in the upcoming months, and they don't carry Simcoe since it's a proprietary variety of hops.

When the Beavers left, Portland drop out of our potential retirement destinations. Short-season may not be enough to put it back on the list, but ...

SWMBO is a Reedie drop out.
BTW, I hate Rome. They stole the M-Braves.

If it's Amarillo and Simcoe, you're 99% certain to get 2011 crop. There just isn't much of it going around yet. The leaf hops were just recently bailed, and really haven't been cut down into homebrew-sized portions yet. Hops are just now going through the pelletizer, so if it's pellets, you can guarantee it's 2011.

If you want 2012 leaf Simcoe and Amarillo. freshops.com is the only source you'll find right now.

That sir is just not correct. Hop Union processes the hops one variety at a time, they hope to have all varieties done by January. I know for a fact that 2012 Simcoe is being shipped out.

That sir is just not correct. Hop Union processes the hops one variety at a time, they hope to have all varieties done by January. I know for a fact that 2012 Simcoe is being shipped out.

Yes, the popular aroma hops are typically the first ones to be processed. (Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, Centennial, etc) But as of yesterday, do you know a single online store that sells hops in 1lb or less quantities that have 2012 Simcoe in stock?

Hops that are shipping out, and hops for sale on a website listed as in stock are two different things. Next week that will probably be a different story. Right now we're in the in-between period. Direct-to-customer vendors like freshops and hopsdirect have 2012 leaf hops for sale. Hopsdirect already burned through the popular varieties. Pellets are starting to trickle in as they come out of the pelletizer. But most Homebrew shops are still waiting for their shipments of 2012 leaf hops, and it'll be awhile before they have 2012 pellets. Distribution, distribution, distribution.

I'll stand by my statement. If he is buying Amarillo or Simcoe today (from just about anywhere other than freshops.com) he's getting 2011 hops. If you're going to say I'm wrong, show us a link to 2012 Amarillo or Simcoe leaf for sale somewhere.

The following is an e-mail I received last Thursday, October 11th.

So good to hear from you! Your AU Galaxy, NZ Motueka, NZ Nelson Sauvin, Centennial, and Simcoe are ready to go. We are pelletizing all of each variety, one at a time. Our hope is that we will have all the varieties pelletized by the end of January. This is barring any unforeseen complications mechanical breakdowns, or other disruptions, of course. The European hops will not be arriving in their container until after the first of the year. So, that being said, I can ship you the hops that are available now if you’d like. Or, if you would prefer to get them all at the same time, we can tentatively plan to ship them sometime in February. I apologize that I do not have a definitive answer as to an exact date, but this is the most recent news we have received from procurement and operations. I hope all of you are doing well, and please let me know if you need any other information.

i just found out that freshhops.com site is broken. you have to spell the domain name with a single "h" like this freshops.com.

i just ordered some 2012 whole leaf hops. right now is perfect because temperatures are supposed to drop by 10 degrees across the country during the next day and i don't have to worry about the hops baking in the delivery truck as they cross the country.

Back