Any vinyl collectors?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captianoats

Reaction score
I'm looking to expand my collection. Right now it's old hippie music (I have way too much willie Nelson, Cat Stevens and John Denver), classics like Sinatra, plus some jazz and soul. Of course Ive got classic rock as well, of course. I don't buy anything new. To me it ruins the fun.

Any suggestions?

Uh, buy what you like to listen to??

I have the E.T. sound track on vinyl. I don't even have a player, but I kept it because it has graphics printed on both sides and looks cool. I am not sure I've played more than once or twice when I first bought it. Couple other albums as well, but I've passed up a TON of vinyl because I don't care for the inconvenience of listening to it, and the cost to get set up for it again.. MP3 is not as high quality, but it's always right there with me.

If I were into it, though, I'd hit some resale shops and just browse the records. Maybe pick one or two on a whim and see what they sound like. There's GOT to be a ton of old music that's really cool that was never a big hit.

I've been colecting vinyl since I was 7 or 8. That collection got absorbed and sold off by an ahole step dad when I was a teenager. I've rebuilt back to a couple hundred since. Tons of old country, punk and classic rock. My father in law gave me all of his old 45's, so I have a ton of 60's stuff. Old comedy records are usually dirt cheap, get into those. I have some Steve Marin, Richard Pryor, Redd Fox, and Bill Cosby. If I buy a new album at a show, I usually get it on vinyl too. If you have a record store near you, go rack digging.

It's really the only hobby I had prior to brewing, because dusting guitars isn't a hobby.

I'm looking to expand my collection. Right now it's old hippie music (I have way too much willie Nelson, Cat Stevens and John Denver), classics like Sinatra, plus some jazz and soul. Of course Ive got classic rock as well, of course. I don't buy anything new. To me it ruins the fun.

Any suggestions?

Avid vinyl collector and listener. I always have my eyes peeled for old records, but honestly I love buying new albums on vinyl as well. Opening it up, that smell that it has, and putting the needle on pristine vinyl is the best. Many can't believe they still press new albums on vinyl, but they do, and I buy more of that, than going through the used section. Many folks did not take care of their albums and honestly, they sound like s*it. It is cool to have a piece of history, but I enjoy the way vinyl sounds. I am lucky to have a nice record store about 4 miles from my house that has tons of new punk, metal, indie, jazz, etc.

To the OP, buy what you want to listen to! I know folks who buy stuff just to have it, and say they have it, but I don't buy anything that I am not going to listen to.

Some newer bands are pressing, yes. If you get a chance, pick up Soup by Euforquestra. Kind of a reggae, afrobeat jazz sound, but pretty nice. Great horns and guitar with funky rhythm players. I've seen them several times passing through and have always enjoyed their live stuff.

A lot of the Indie bands are doing limited vinyl runs.

Case in point on collecting vs listening.

Cannonball Adderley - "Somethin Else"

For the collector:
Blue Note, original 1959 mono pressing, VG condition.
$1,300.00 on eBay
VG condition means is has some flaws.

For the listener:
New reissue, pressed from the original master
$35.00
Many critics say this release sounds better than the original pressing.

I've got about 1,500 LP's going back to my high school and college days, everything from punk to alternative to jazz to reggae to classic rock. I've got a turntable in the garage and love digging out and listenting to old albums while I'm brewing beer. Now my 16 year old son is into vinyl, both buying his own LP's and discovering my old albums.

@Qhrumphf has a bunch of reggae, rocksteady, and ska. but I'm sure you'd have to fight him for it. I'm an idiot, but I'm not that dumb.

I've got a mid 1980's Kenwood table that needs some work. Needs a new cartridge and a new belt, minimum, but it's been a fairly low priority making the repairs. Sounds alright as is, but would be better with some work.

But yes, wide array of vinyl. I've got a bunch of punk, Oi!, ska, reggae, and rocksteady LPs and 7"es, and my wife has a much more varied selection.

Not a hipster, but you can't compete with vinyl. Same way every serious photographer I know (ie those who work professionally) prefer film. You simply can't replace analog with digital and get the same result.

Latest posts

Back