Any trout fisherman on here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Looking for some assitance in picking out a new combo for the upcoming fishing/camping season.

Not looking for anything expensive, just something to replace my super old combo that is due for retirement.

I'm also not a hardcore fisher although I do enjoy it when I get the chance.

Can anyone point me to some good products off of this site? http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/Browse.aspx?c=14

I'm thinking of a Ugly Stick spinning rod and am unsure of the reel, also unsure of the length of rod and stuff like that. Been a looooong time since i've shopped for this stuff so any help would be appreciated.

Are you going to be fishing streams, rivers, or lakes? That will help you decide what size combo to get. For streams, especially if there is a lot of cover, I like an ultralight rod and reel. As the size of the body of water increases and the size of the fish your going for increases the size of your tackle increases.

This is a nice general purpose combo at a reasonable price if you want an ugly stick. Personally I like Mitchell spinning reels, but they are a bit more expensive

I'm no expert, especially with trout equipment. But I like versatile spinning rods, and love my Ugly Stick. I assume you're not into fly fishing, and just looking for a spincast or a spinning reel? I use a Shimano reel similar to this one: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=300325

I use an Ugly Stik light freshwater rod- a spinning rod. I prefer spinning rods and reels, and a medium length. I guess if you tell us more about what you're looking for (just for trout, or for multipurpose, the size fish you plan to take, where you're fishing, etc) people could give you more specific ideas.

I have no problem piecing together a combo.. I did notice that the site sells Mitchell spinning reels at reasonable prices. I'm willing to drop around 50-60 for something that will last me a long time. So if anyone/you have any suggestions for a pieced together combo, i'd be interested in hearing them.

For the most part, i'll be fishing lakes.

Thanks budz

YooperBrew said:
I'm no expert, especially with trout equipment. But I like versatile spinning rods, and love my Ugly Stick. I assume you're not into fly fishing, and just looking for a spincast or a spinning reel? I use a Shimano reel similar to this one: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=300325

I use an Ugly Stik light freshwater rod- a spinning rod. I prefer spinning rods and reels, and a medium length. I guess if you tell us more about what you're looking for (just for trout, or for multipurpose, the size fish you plan to take, where you're fishing, etc) people could give you more specific ideas.

Most areas around me don't seem to have to big of trout, atleast from what i've been able to pull. It will mostly be lakes, and yea, i'm not into fly fishing. I'd prefer a spinning reel over a spincast.

As for the fish, it will mostly be used for trout, but i'd like to have the option of catching other fish (bass, etc), but i prefer a light test line just for the fun factor.

I used to Trout fish all the time in Utah. I fished the Provo River, Scofield Lake, Fish Lake, and Strawberry Reservoir. Good fishing, all of them.

If you're fishing lakes, I'd go with a pole that's in the 7' range. For a reel, the one Yooper posted, this model specifically: SO2500RH Rear Drag, would work well for you and Shimano makes a quality reel. That model has a good capacity for 10lb test line.

EDIT: Just saw that you like light test line, go with the lighter model reel.

EdWort said:
I used to Trout fish all the time in Utah. I fished the Provo River, Scofield Lake, Fish Lake, and Strawberry Reservoir. Good fishing, all of them.

Going up to Pine Valley in a couple weeks.

Was great fishing last time.. I had a ghetto setup consisting of an antique telescoping pole and a Patron cork as a bobber. Trout were hitting like crazy.

c.n.budz said:
If you're fishing lakes, I'd go with a pole that's in the 7' range. For a reel, the one Yooper posted, this model specifically: SO2500RH Rear Drag, would work well for you and Shimano makes a quality reel. That model has a good capacity for 10lb test line.

EDIT: Just saw that you like light test line, go with the lighter model reel.

Yea, it's been a long time, but i just remember fishing with my dad and using light line and it just seemed to have bit more fun factor since we couldnt just yank em out of the water.

Would would a good lb test line be for bass? I want to try and find something that will be somewhat versatile.

Yea, that would be only advantage I could see but with me having a truck I'm not to concernced about having to break it down. If the cheaper seems like a good enough rod, i'll probably just pick that one up.

Then I just gotta figure out some line to buy..lol

c.n.budz said:
Are you going to be fishing streams, rivers, or lakes? That will help you decide what size combo to get. For streams, especially if there is a lot of cover, I like an ultralight rod and reel. As the size of the body of water increases and the size of the fish your going for increases the size of your tackle increases.

Without looking into the site you mentioned (I *am* at work here! Haha), cnbudz general recommendation/comment is a good one.

I normally fish the trout streams here in PA, with an occasional lake fish for some bass or something from a canoe. I have 3-rods to cover my use, but none of them are heavier than a "light".

Generally ultra-light rods (UL - which I have two of) carry a recommendation of 2-6, or maybe 2-8lb test line, and they go up with the heavier rod. Obviously, usually the length also increases as the "rod-weight" so to speak increases.

I have a 4'8" UL Ugly Stick with Shakespeare reel as well. It's probably my favorite to use in the stream b/c its easy getting through brush, easy wading with it, etc. This was one of the cheaper rod/reel combos I bought and I love it and have caught just as many fish as any other rod I have despite it being the cheapest...

I have a 5'6" UL Berkeley rod with Flueger reel. I use this often as well as I spent a little more for a "higher quality" rod and reel. I like the rod a lot as its really ultra-light, sensitive, etc. It's also not big enough to cause much problem hiking through woods, or even wading.

I then have a 6'6" Light Flueger rod and reel combo. Although labeled a light, you can catch some pretty big fish even on this size rod (within reason obviously). This is too big and awkward IMO to use in small streams, etc. and definitely not needed to pull in 10"-20" trout or small bass. I really only use this rod when I go out on the lake or occassional river trip where the possibility exists that I might catch something pretty darn large.

This is just what I do and like I said I'm a small-stream, backwoods type fisherman for trout 90%+ of the time.

riored4v said:
Ok, thanks.

The Shimano is a tad on the pricey side for what I was looking to spend, but it sounds like a pretty nice piece. I'll probably go with the 6lb capacity model.

Was thinking of going with this rod in the 7ft version: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=422756

Seem like a decent piece, or should I look into a 1piece construction like this one: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=422758

Like I tried to convey in my lengthy post about my personal preferences, I think a 7ft. rod is quite large, especially if its going to be your only rod. You'll realize when you try to fish small streams with it, hike with it, etc. that it becomes a PITA. If you are doing small streams and lakes, go for a 6'6" IMO. If you are doing more small streams than lakes, go even smaller IMO. Or, with the affordable rod/reel combos that you can get today, buy 2 rod/reel combos! :) (Or heck, buy 2 rods and just switch the reel back and forth...?)

On the 1 piece versus 2 or 3 piece. The only 1-piece I have is the 4'8" rod. I prefer 5'6" or bigger to be in 2 pieces or more. This could be b/c sometimes I try to fish out of my 2-seat sportscar and a longer rod is difficult to fit, but I just like the convenience...

riored4v said:
Thanks for all the advice.

So how's this sound..

6' 6" Ugly Stick, single piece: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=422758

Shimano Solstice w/ 10lb capacity: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=300325

Eagle Claw Monofilament 4lb line: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=313705

Combo sound like it should work out pretty well for mainly trout fishing with the occasional bass or other fish along with occasional river/stream fishing?

That would probably work. I'd probably recommend the 6'2" one-piece rod that is actually rated "Light". I think the 6'6" one you are talking about is medium-heavy (? MH ?), but I could be wrong... You don't need a rod that heavy to catch trout or even reasonable size bass.

You can catch a lot of fish on 4lb test line and with a light-rated rod. Think about it, if I stick a hook in your lip, it's not going to take much pressure/pull for me to drag you around, even though you may be 150-200lb.

I guess basically what I'm trying to say is I wouldn't necessarily go for getting a heavier rod and reel that can handle 10lb. test line (and arguable haul in pretty darn big fish - much larger than 10lb) especially if you aren't going to be fishing for 20lb, 30lb, or whatever fish. The way it sounds you will be fishing trout and small bass most of the time.

Also, just out of curiosity, why don't you just go into a Bass Pro Shop or Cabellas or something and look around? Feel the rods, reel some reels, etc. You might get a much better feel for what you want as compared to guessing based upon generic stats (UL, L, M, H, 5' v 6' v 7', 2lb, 4lb, 10lb, etc.)... My guess is (just one example) you are going to get a 6'6" or so one piece rod home and then realize its a pain to fit in vehicles, carry around through doorways, etc. much less fish with it if you are "backwoods" type small streams. I never use my 6'6" rod in the stream... That's just one example. Another, you might realize you don't need to handle 10lb. test line. Do you plan on stringing 10lb test line on the rod? If you can't foresee yourself ever doing it, go with something lighter, you are starting with 4lb. so not sure I see you getting up to 10lb. based upon the discussion?

I see what you're saying, and yea, i didn't notice that it said MH as the rating. I was looking at the line rating and since I was going with the 10lb reel I was thinking of trying to match that up with the pole.

The 6' 2" pole is says 4-8lb and the 6' 6" pole is 10-17, but then again, this probably wouldn't matter that much since I don't see myself using 10lb line anytime soon. I think I'll go with the 6' 2" one.

riored4v said:
I see what you're saying, and yea, i didn't notice that it said MH as the rating. I was looking at the line rating and since I was going with the 10lb reel I was thinking of trying to match that up with the pole.

The 6' 2" pole is says 4-8lb and the 6' 6" pole is 10-17, but then again, this probably wouldn't matter that much since I don't see myself using 10lb line anytime soon. I think I'll go with the 6' 2" one.

You got what I was saying... :) Like I said, you can catch a pretty darn large fish on 4-8lb. test line. I wouldn't worry about missing a monster trout b/c you needed 10lb. + test line...

I have observed and caught many large fish on an UL set-up with 4lb. line even.

In fact, just the other day I watched (unfortunately not the one catching this time) a fella pull out a 25" or so (didn't measure so I'm guessing- maybe a little bigger or smaller) rainbow trout (BEAUTIFUL!!) on 4lb. line with a 1/4oz or so spinner. It was a BIG fish for being in a small, PA stream... and he really had no issue landing him on a UL setup... [I'll try to post my iPhone pic here shortly]

no Cabella's, but I do plan on going to Bass Pro later this week to get a feel for the products I listed along with a few others in the same price range. They seem to carry the same products that the site i was linking to do, but the linked site is cheaper. I'd rather talk with fellow forum members than a salesman looking to make big money off of me, and educate myself before hand.

I'm still not sure about the 4lb test line, since as mentioned, I'm not one for just yanking a fish out.. i'd rather fight it. That may be something I'll discuss with the guys at Bass. I know c.n.budz mentioned the 4lb would be better with the reel listed, so thats why i was leaning towards that weight.

riored4v said:
no Cabella's, but I do plan on going to Bass Pro later this week to get a feel for the products I listed along with a few others in the same price range. They seem to carry the same products that the site i was linking to do, but the linked site is cheaper. I'd rather talk with fellow forum members than a salesman looking to make big money off of me, and educate myself before hand.

I'm still not sure about the 4lb test line, since as mentioned, I'm not one for just yanking a fish out.. i'd rather fight it. That may be something I'll discuss with the guys at Bass. I know c.n.budz mentioned the 4lb would be better with the reel listed, so thats why i was leaning towards that weight.

Going to BP once you have the knowledge you need is a good idea. I rarely talk to the salesman, just go in, grab what I need based upon my research.

4lb. test line should be fine. It about the right line to catch trout on (normal 7" keepers to solid 12-16" ones) and still get a little struggle, but enough to handle the 2ft+ one you might catch and want to mount... I think its a good compromise. It's what I use in most cases...

You can catch those smaller fish on 2lb. test line no doubt, but for the difference in visibility, etc. myswell go a little safer with 4 IMO.

Here's what I'm talking about - you can catch the teeny-weeny-smallish 10-12" (normal here) trout on a light set-up with 4lb. line or you can catch the pretty-darn-big rainbow on the same set-up... Small one wouldn't be much struggle, but still fun! And the big one wouldn't get away b/c you were using too light a line...

Until you start fishing for bigger fish species in general, a light setup with 4lb. line should serve you well.

Rainbow.JPG

jesus! that thing is a monster. absolutely beautiful catch.

Here's a couple quick pics from our last trip on the soon to be retired setup:

Telescoping aluminum rod, i believe shimano reel and the infamous Patron bobber
normal_IMG_4451.JPG

My buddy pulling out this monster..haha
IMG_4449.JPG

and me doing some night fishing
normal_IMG_4456.JPG

I second everything c.n.budz and roaringbrewer have said (i came to this party late). when i fish trout here back in Oregon i rarely use over 4lb test or anything other than my 6' light rod. Ugly sticks are good, but with trout i've never really been able to tell the difference.

Well, i'm a salmon and sturgeon fisher afterall :)

This discussion got my hyped to do some more fishing, so...

Pulled out a few (3) more today after work with my 4'8" ugly stick, while wading. It was nice to don shorts, waders, short sleeves, and a vest and get out there. First day its really been warm enough to do that (normally I fish early AMs and last time it was warm enough but I was stupid and was sweating)...

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your viewpoint) none of them were > 9" rainbows (they were bigger than the 7" keeper requirement) so I played "catch and release" today...

It was still a blast. Congrats on getting back out there riored.

riored4v said:
jesus! that thing is a monster. absolutely beautiful catch.

Here's a couple quick pics from our last trip on the soon to be retired setup:

Telescoping aluminum rod, i believe shimano reel and the infamous Patron bobber
normal_IMG_4451.JPG

My buddy pulling out this monster..haha
IMG_4449.JPG

and me doing some night fishing
normal_IMG_4456.JPG

That 3rd picture is awesome!

EdWort said:

When we lived in Utah my mom actually worked on the Strawberry Reservoir during the fish kill back in 1990. Something like half the world's supply of rotenone was used to POISON the lake. Fun times, fun times.

Couple more questions..

I'm unsure about how to determine weight size weight to attach to the line. Any help with that?

I went down to Bass and they ended being able to sell me a different combo than what I had posted up as he/they felt it would be a better setup. Who knows.. they were probably just being salesmen. I will say the reel seems super sensitive and very very smooth. The rod also seems to be nice and sensitive as well.

The reel is the 4lb version bu can carry up to 6lbs: Pflueger President

Rod is a 6'6" 2-piece since I decided I want one that would break down. Rated "L" and is made of graphite: http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_74068?cmCat=CROSSSELL&cmid=PP_P0_2

rio - not a bad choice. pflueger is good stuff!

As far as weights on the line, I'm assuming you mean split-shot in order to weigh down your hook? You are just going to need to experiment and it will depend upon water conditions... 1 or 2 of the smallest splitshot usually works for trout in a small stream, but you just need to see what works for you. Depends upon bait weight, etc. too.

Trust me, you'll break off a line or two if you are fishing streams and need to tie on new hardware including hooks, weights, etc. It's pretty easy to figure out how much weight you need for conditions...

If you are using spinners, etc. you probably need no weights in trout streams as the lure itself is heavy enough.

Good luck!

Yea, it's for some split-shot weights to bring the hook down. No streams on this trip, but thanks as I do have a few spinners.

My g/f bought me some drop shots which seems would be good to use if using bobbers?? or maybe someplace i wanted the bait to stay in a certain area but still being able to maintain some movement of the bait??

I do plan on buying a random pack of split shots though so I'll play around with the weights as suggested.

And yea, I really like the reel from what I can tell so far. I wanted a rear drag but this guy assured me this real is better than the shimano i was looking at and would last alot longer as well.

riored4v said:
Yea, it's for some split-shot weights to bring the hook down. No streams on this trip, but thanks as I do have a few spinners.

My g/f bought me some drop shots which seems would be good to use if using bobbers?? or maybe someplace i wanted the bait to stay in a certain area but still being able to maintain some movement of the bait??

I do plan on buying a random pack of split shots though so I'll play around with the weights as suggested.

And yea, I really like the reel from what I can tell so far. I wanted a rear drag but this guy assured me this real is better than the shimano i was looking at and would last alot longer as well.

Variety pack of splitshot is what you want. You'll figure out how many to use after a few casts and retrieves.

Just remember, ultimately you need whatever weight it takes to get the bait in front of the fish or to portray your lure as a real living organism that the fish wants to eat. Sometimes you want no weight b/c you want the lure to float, pop out of the water, etc. Sometimes you want that thing to sink through 15' of water near the bottom pretty quickly. All depends upon the situation...

Back