Any specific Malt mill when making the big jump?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigOkeBrewing

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am in the process of making the big jump and starting my own microbrewery here in South Africa.
Can anyone who has already done this jump tell me what size mill is needed? and is there any specific one you could recommend?
Thank you kindly

Hi guys
I am in the process of making the big jump and starting my own microbrewery here in South Africa.
Can anyone who has already done this jump tell me what size mill is needed? and is there any specific one you could recommend?
Thank you kindly

I have no experience or recommendation but want to wish you best of luck in your venture! Post often!

Well I can recommend one not to buy: while the Barley Crusher is affordable and works well for the homebrewer I sincerely doubt it could keep up with the volume required for a successful microbrewery. Maybe a 3-roller Monster Mill with the larger diameter rollers made of Stainless? Lots of people seem to like that one and can be machine driven quite well from what I've read. Though I'd like to hear about what other micro(pico)brewery folks use, be interesting to see what the differences are between the homebrew and the industrial scale are. PS. Good luck, let us know how things go! Lots of photos if you can manage it!

The MM2-2.0 with hardened rollers is what I use at the shop. If you don't plan to condition the malt prior to milling, you may want the 3 roller version. Either way, plan on a big 1/2HP gear motor at about 150 RPM.

A lot of long time folks highly reccomed the Schmidling Malt Mill you can find them on line, they are made by hand one at a time by Jack Schmidling, and you can get a gear mechanism so both rollers turn at the same time. Good luck!

Back