Any Scuba Divers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
My wife And I are what you would call "fair weather divers".If we go on a Caribbean type vacation we preplan our trip around diving.We are both PADI certified and have about 10- 2 tank dives under out belt.Our last trip(last week) we went to Cozumel and Grand Cayman.Both fantastic.Cozumel was absolutely amazing.We dove "The wall" and a shallow dive.Swim throughs,turtles,10 ft eels,lion fish.It was the bluest,clearest water Ive ever been in with 100ft visability.There was no thermocline and it was 80 deg to 80 ft.If you have any pictures or diving recommendations please share!

Me at a 100 ft in Cozumel!!

12311046_10205152388906105_5176485323383438500_n.jpg

Wife and I both are certified..its been a few years though....We don't handle Puget Sound water temps well any more. But its some of the best diving in the world.

Not currently active due to fiances and a move, but I used to dive every time I had a spare buck. I enjoyed technical deep water and cave diving. Aside from tanks, I still have all my gear for the "one day" I return to diving. Diving was my life's mission for many years. I just got burned out being broke every paycheck and returning home on a Monday to go to work more tired than when I got off work on Friday.

IMAG0007-L.jpg

Divemaster and Science Diver. Do most of my dives in New England year round, but love getting to Georgia, or the Caribbean when I can. Still haven't managed to get to Puget Sound, but it is on my bucket list.

Divemaster and Science Diver. Do most of my dives in New England year round, but love getting to Georgia, or the Caribbean when I can. Still haven't managed to get to Puget Sound, but it is on my bucket list.
My brother in law is a Divemaster in Georgia and owns a shop.

Another PADI diver here. Got certified in Jamaica on my wedding trip. I dive locally a few times a year.

I spent four years living in the Federated States of Micronesia and traveled between the four States (Kosrae, Pohnpei, Chuuk, and Yap) as well as Palau. I probably got in nearly 500 dives while I was there, Several of us had our own small skiffs and we could get air for $5/tank so the diving was affordable. The diving was absolutely spectacular and unique to each location. Palau was a bit more tourist oriented, and hence more popular and crowded, but I still managed to avoid diving in groups larger than 4-5 for 99% of my dives. Travel to the islands takes some time and is a bit expensive but the diving is some of the best in the world.

I dove for about 15 years before my wife and I stopped. We enjoyed many places, Cozumel mostly, but Costa Rica, Cayman Island as well as St. Thomas and others but it just got to be too expensive when a family got started.
I was PADI certified for Advanced, Night and most of the way thru Rescue. Great times and many memories. Nothing in the world like being 80 feet underwater with just your eyes and your thoughts.

I used to be an avid diver but having kids slowed things down a bit. PADI certification (OW and AOW) plus Nitrox via TDI. While most of my bottom time has been in Texas fresh water lakes, I've dove in Cozumel, Roatan and Grand Cayman as well. The most "been there, done that" dive for me was an abandoned and flooded ICBM silo near Abilene called Valhalla.

I still have my gear and plan on getting back into the sport. Just need to shed some of this extra homebrew weight I've picked up. :| My kids are old enough now that I should introduce them to SCUBA.

Some pics of me and my wife in Roatan:

Nagorg-SCUBA.PNG

Nagorg-And-Wife-SCUBA.PNG

PADI AOW/Nitrox, we have only been to Florida (got trip cut short by an early season storm) and to Bonaire several times. Haven't been lately - we had family issues and building a house that sort of precluded travel, both from time and $$....
Pic of the daughter and (now) son-in-law in Bonaire!

bonaire.jpg

Been diving since 1985 (15 years old) I also have worked in a dive shop since then too. Still do equipment repairs there. Ironically there is a home brew shop right next door lol.

PADI OW last March and a total now of 12 dives. Can't wait for the trip to St. John in March and then cold water diving in New England next summer.

Wife and I have been certified for about 21 years and have dove all over. The Keys, Hawaii, Cayman, Bahamas, Turks and Cacaos. By far the best diving we have ever done was a 2 day sail boat trip to the Great Barrier Reef from Cains, Australia.

I have been diving 18 years and have about 1500 dives under my belt. Most of my dives have been in the Caribbean, Cozumel, Bonaire, Grand Cayman and Bahamas. I have also had the opportunity to dive Indian Ocean, Red Sea, Galapagos Hawaii and Indonesia. Each place I have been has been unique in its own way and I am looking forward to many more trips in the future.

Nagorg, I am headed to Valhalla in a few weeks. Not sure why I am attracted to it but I can't pass up an opportunity to dive a ICBM silo.

Jonny, the Caribbean is great but as you get more experience I encourage you to try diving in colder water and limited visibility. Some of my best dives have been the most challenging ones. Galapagos is my at the top of my list. We saw Schools of hammerhead sharks and eagle rays and several whale sharks. The trade off was colder water(about 55)and poorer visibility compared to Cozumel and strong currents.

Used to dive back when my friend was an instructor. He quit doing it due to the cost of insurance vs the number of customers in this area. A Dive Shop opened up right before he could, and that took away the incentive.

Anyway, I still have my gear, minus a tank (and the wetsuit doesn't probably fit me anymore...) Used to like diving in local lakes when it was warm enough (not often) and clear enough (hardly ever). Never got to dive at a really nice location. Lake Michigan a few times and that's about it.

Never going to do cave diving. Too dangerous IMO. I'll take my caves above the waterline!

Nagorg, I am headed to Valhalla in a few weeks. Not sure why I am attracted to it but I can't pass up an opportunity to dive a ICBM silo.

It's interesting for sure. Starting a 130 ft. dive from ~70 ft below the surface on a floating platform... be careful! I have to say I got a little narc'ed. :drunk:

NAUI certified here. Picked it up as an elective course my last semester of college (2003), did our open water certs in a gravel pit about 20 miles east of Ames, IA... In April.

Only have one open water dive under my belt since then - did Grand Cayman this spring. Want to go back in the worst way.

I know it's not open water, and technically a giant pool dive, but I've dove the aquarium at Epcott three times now. Pretty awesome experience - kind of messes with your head being in 25' of water, looking through a window at a family eating dessert in the restaurant on the other side of the glass, and having a 6' tiger shark swim close enough to touch.

Some great dive sites!

I've got certified in my early teens, dove through college and then life got in the way and stopped for quite a few years. My father had been diving since he was a kid, and ran a small dive company in upstate NY, so I got into it young and spent summers working for him.

99% on my diving now a days is on the commercial/inspection side - and I'm fortunate that about 20% of my job is dive related. Most of our work is in near zero visibility though, so much of it is done with the eyes closed. I did get to dive the Vandenberg a few years back in Key West. Beautiful site!

Going in the water in Sault Ste Marie, January 2014, and leaving the water at Connemaugh Lake, PA.

I'm jealous of the clear water and cool sites you all have dove.

1510825_10101527851724848_719850955_n.jpg

1536655_10102492950928308_5153001990014318315_n.jpg

Back