Any point in entering a NEIPA into a Competition....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hwk-I-St8

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The competition is a local one at a state fair. They say beers will be judged by BJCP guidelines. They have a category for IPA, but I'm guessing I'll get hosed on the extreme haziness.

Thoughts?

Depending on the judge(s), you could get marked down for the haziness and also the lack of perceived bitterness. I saw something about BJCP allowing NE IPAs under Specialty IPA, but in the first round of the NHC this year an NE IPA didn't advance, because, "although a REALLY good beer, it isn't bitter enough for the style."

Conversely, you might win!

I entered a late hopped ipa just like a NEIPA but without the oats and no wheat and got hit bad for bitterness. I had it as about 40ibu according to my software, but the judges notes were pretty harsh even though it tasted good with good head and retention and very clear. I would not enter it again and category 21B is what i used.

This is at a county fair. There's no option for 21B...just a generic IPA category (though maybe I'll put "IPA - Category 21B" on the label. I don't really care if I win, but I'd love to get feedback. That feedback would be worthless if they're going to trash it for not being "to style" though.

It is not to style. It is a style but it is not a 21A. I love NEIPA and really don't care for lagers. If it showed up on a table of lagers would likely be my pick for the blue ribbon except I'd have to kick it out for out of style.

Guidelines in competitions are in there to create a level playing field. Brewing a fairly narrowly defined style should help highlight small differences between beers making the feedback potentially useful for brewers to get feedback on incremental process changes in the pursuit of turning their pretty good (insert style here) into a great (same style).

If you are looking to get feedback on how to brew the best NEIPA I think you need to find a competition where these beers will be judged against each other. If you just want feedback regarding am I on the right track bring some to a homebrew club meeting maybe with a commercial example of what you are aiming at to taste side by side.

Depending on the judge(s), you could get marked down for the haziness and also the lack of perceived bitterness. I saw something about BJCP allowing NE IPAs under Specialty IPA, but in the first round of the NHC this year an NE IPA didn't advance, because, "although a REALLY good beer, it isn't bitter enough for the style."

Conversely, you might win!

I had the same experience last year. Judges just can't stand it when the bitterness is smooth and yummy.

I entered a late hopped ipa just like a NEIPA but without the oats and no wheat and got hit bad for bitterness. I had it as about 40ibu according to my software, but the judges notes were pretty harsh even though it tasted good with good head and retention and very clear. I would not enter it again and category 21B is what i used.

I believe IPA tables are pallet burners. 60-100 IBU one after another. A 30-40 juice bomb probably tastes like kool-aid against the rest of the table.

It is not to style. It is a style but it is not a 21A. I love NEIPA and really don't care for lagers. If it showed up on a table of lagers would likely be my pick for the blue ribbon except I'd have to kick it out for out of style.

Guidelines in competitions are in there to create a level playing field. Brewing a fairly narrowly defined style should help highlight small differences between beers making the feedback potentially useful for brewers to get feedback on incremental process changes in the pursuit of turning their pretty good (insert style here) into a great (same style).

If you are looking to get feedback on how to brew the best NEIPA I think you need to find a competition where these beers will be judged against each other. If you just want feedback regarding am I on the right track bring some to a homebrew club meeting maybe with a commercial example of what you are aiming at to taste side by side.

Good advice I think. That being said, the comp is free at the county fair, so maybe I'll throw a couple bottles in the mix just for kicks. We had a local NEIPA comp but the timing didn't fit my brew schedule (I found out about it too late).

If I do enter, I just won't get too worked up about the results. So far, my NEIPAs have gotten rave reviews from my friends who regularly drink Trillium, Treehouse, Hill Farmstead, TG, etc., so I know I'm on the right track. I'm confident I'd do pretty well if judged for what it is. I'll probably brew this one just a bit more bitter too.

Back