any of you electric heads mind looking my schematic over

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winovino

Reaction score
As the title states, I'm in the process of putting a rims system together and would value some input on the schematic i'm using.

file-page1.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a very hard schematic to read....

It appears that the circuit is 120V only?

You have all the current going through the E-Stop switch?

Thats about all I can make out... Please redraw in a ladder format and post again.

It's a little hard to read but here are a few questions based on what I think I'm looking at...

It looks like the hot comes in through the E-stop, a fuse and then into a hot bus. From here, I'm confused. What does the System Power switch control? It's only going to the System Power Light and PID. All of the other components are getting power from the hot bus, regardless of whether the System Power is on.

Why is it called a pump override switch? Isn't it just the pump switch? It switches the only hot wire going to the pump. If the other wire coming from the contactor is supposed to be hot, then there's no neutral going to the pump.

If the wires going into the top of the contactor are going to the coil, they should be hot and neutral instead of neutral and the SSR output. The wires in the middle of the contactor are hot and neutral so maybe this is really where the wires to the coil are going. If this is the case...well I'm not sure what else is going. The SSR output goes to the top right of the contactor. But then the element power is coming from the bottom left of the contactor. Typically it's drawn so the power flows through the contactor left/right or up/down. I really don't follow the contactor wiring.

PID terminal 3 goes to the SSR, which is fine...but why is it also going to the Pump/Element Power Light? I think you want the light to come on when the element/pump is getting power so you'd want it on the output of the contactor.

It would be helpful if you could post exactly what you're trying to accomplish. What do you want to happen when it's plugged in? When the System Power switch is on. When the Pump Override switch is on...

hmm...... i'm not an electrician, or even remotely electrically fluent. im going on a combo of a schematic i found online, combined with help from my father (an hvac contractor).

i have:
a pid cntroller
an ssr
a contactor
a pump
an element
three lamps (one for system power, one for element and pump together, and one for pump by its self)
two switches ( system power, pump overide on)
a fuse block
an emergency stop switch

i want to be able to turn the system on via a switch, see an indicator light, see an indicator light when the pump/element are on, have a switch to activate the pump without the controller calling for it, as well as a light to indicate when its got power, and an emergency stop switch to shut down.

i guess i'm completely off base here then......

also, i have no idea what a ladder format is or how to draw it....... sorry

I'm not sure what a ladder format is either, but I would guess they are asking for less trace cross overs. It may also help with readability if you copy/trace the diagrahm onto plain paper. Graph paper is nice to keep the drawing clean but it adds a lot of visual "noise".

This seems to be a popular thread. In post 2, the 9th diagrahm is for a single element, single pump with e-stop. I would review that.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=382286

I'm not sure what a ladder format is either

electrical-diagram.jpg

Looks like rungs on a ladder...

The hot leg is the vertical bar on the left and the neutral/ground is on the right.

Switches and loads are in between.

This is industry standard for machine schematics.

Back