any Military folks here stationed in hawaii or have been stationed there

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loganb

Reaction score
sorry this isnt completely beer related but i just got informed i might be gettin stationed in Hawaii:rockin: and was wondering if there are any Army or other military guys and gals in here that have been stationed at Scholfield Barracks. i havent got any orders yet but my S1 said that i am supposed to go to Hawaii. and it is bad that the first thing i did was see if they had a home brew shop there? cause my wife called me a homo and by the way they do 27 mins away from post:rockin: but i was just wanting to know what to expect in Hawaii besides awsome beaches and all that stuff. i know it is mainly light units there and strykers. thank and again:rockin: wooooo yeah!

Grew up on Fort Shafter. Best place I've ever lived in my life. People are very nice in Hawaii and the kids will absolutely love it.

I've never been, but my two best friends work over there. One of them is E-5 in EOD, but I can't remember where exactly he is stationed. If you want, I can get you two in touch if you have any questions.

Both of their general feeling about living there matches HB99s opinion. It gets boring fast. Also, the natives treat you like crap. Can't say I'm not a little jealous though, especially once the winter weather hits. Good Luck!

yeah i was looking forward to no winter. i am origianlly from Georgia so i like warmer climates. the winters here in Fort Hood arent that nice and forgiving and the summer almost reminds me of Iraq but minus about 20 degrees and sand storms. but i like the ocean, swimming, and i here they got really good food there. and the on post housing looks pretty BA

Oahu is great. I've lived here for seven years. There is one brewstore - has a good enough supply. The one bad thing with the store is the crush. So if you do all grain bring a mill.

I was stationed at Schofield for 3 years. It was the best time of my life. Remember, it is a Light division so there is a lot of humping (Or at least there used to be).
The thing about Oahu is you either love it or hate it. Some folks would get what is called "Rock Fever" and feel trapped on a 35 mile long rock in the middle of the Pacific. But, I loved it. The people are the best and the attitude there is like none other.
In about 3 months everything you wear will have an Orange tint to it from the dirt there and it will NOT come out.
Congratulations on what I think is one of the best posting in the military!!!

Hoooaahh!!

yeah i found out that i am goin to a Stryker brigade so i am pretty excited about that. and i dont mind ruckin so that is ok. and of course my wife is excited.

Was stationed there myself (Hickam AFB) for 4yrs, it was a great assignment, there is a lot to do there than just going to the beaches. I definitely recommend getting off Oahu and seeing the other islands. There is an MWR over on the Big Island, great little resort, I thinks it called KMC, well worth the trip over. The only complaint I have is the school system, my kids where almost held back a year when we came back stateside.

i am a 13d field artillery
Delta...FATDS...

I was 13B. I been working on the Paladin for almost 6 years now. I'm retiring in Jan/Feb.

I also reconditioned the M119s over there last year.

I deprocessed the Paladins to Ft Hood a couple of years ago to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd/82nd FA. I was in Alpha Btry 1/82 FA when they were M114 Towed Howitzers at Ft Bragg in 1973.

HB99 go to see a fellow red leg here. i am about to leave fort hood. i work up at the cav division FSC or FEC or FSE whatever one you want to call it. and i have really been wanting to go to a light unit. and almost every SGM i have had has been a dang 13B whats up with that?

The first gun I worked on in the Army was the M109...there wasn't an A1 yet...and I'm finishing my career on an A6...go figure...;)

I found out yesterday I have to start the paperwork to go to Korea in January to teach Paladin to some soldiers and civilians (LARS)...it'll probably be my last time over there.

Are you going to the 25th on M119A2? I worked the mod there last year. Be sure to look up Lee and Vickie Rouland. They are good friends of mine and your Armament LARs on post.

I'm pretty sure the wife wants to go back to HI after I retire in Feb...if we head that way I'll let you know.

I think the wife, daughter and grandson's ex-girlfriend (my grandson died last Sep) want me to take them all someplace for Spring Break...

Back