Any metallurgists or chemists in the house?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Datchew

Reaction score
Getting ready to solder some copper bits for V2.0 of the dip tubes and such.
Previously, I just used bendable copper but i'm going to be welding my keggle fittings and doing the proper soldering gig.

Can anyone tell me why silver-based solder is preferred to normal plumbing lead-free solder?

I don't see Tin as a carcinogen or mutagen or in any other way harmful, but maybe it's different when heated? Anyone know?

The solders like SilvaBrite 100 with a small percentage of silver and nickel seem to have better gap fill and wetting nature than the plain 95-5 solders. Much easier to use for a person learning soldering techniques, and with proper flux, will let you solder copper to stainless steel.

Right.

I know they're easier for welding substitutions and gap filler, but is there any health risk, EHS, urban legend, old wives tail, Dr Phil recommended, etc., reason why anyone should use the silver solder vs normal home depot lead-free solder?

Only reasons to use silver solder instead of lead free plumbing solder are kladue's and the fact that silver solder is stronger than lead free. No health risks with lead free that I know of, since the regulations covering them say no deliberate addition of lead to the solder. On the other hand, some silver solders contain cadmium, and you don't want your beer laced with that.

As far as the silver solders for plumbing go look for the "NSF" stamp on the package to determine if it is safe for potable water applications. The higher silver content brazing alloys will have cadmium added except for the Harris safetySilv56 56% silver alloy, again it has "NSF" stamp on package and is safe for potable water applications.

The silver solders also often have a higher melting point. If you are direct firing things, this could be of benefit.

Back