Any health care professionals out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not clinical (although I also did EMT training once upon a time).
35 years in healthcare, 25 inside hospitals. Lately (last 10 or so) supply chain automation, efficiencies and analytics, making sure you nurses have what you need in hand, in time, without wasting $$.

PharmD here. Worked in critical care before moving to clinical informatics. ICU was definitely more exiting, but a M-F daytime schedule is hard to beat and using my clinical background and applying it to electronic medical record has been a great learning opportunity.

GTaylor said:
Or it could be the post op patients that get over medicated and then somebody panics and pushes the code blue button, nothing like running across the hospital in the middle of the night for someone that needs narcan.

We had way too many code blues. Literally 6+ a week that didn't need to happen. All of them woukd get cancelled around the time my heart rate hit its peak running through the halls.

We had 7 in one day when the joint comission was there. Good times.

Sent from my Galaxy S 4G using Home Brew Talk for Android

I have been in EMS for 12 years now, Paramedic for 9 of those years. I will be going into nursing soon, the streets are killing me! Eventually I will have the BSN.

I'm a ct tech at a lvl one trauma in MO. Our er has smokin hot nurses. I think it's a requirement. It's a pretty happening place. We pump 100+ patients a day through our er scanners alone. Great field. Im slowly finishing up my bs in radiologic science then applying for pa school

I'm a ct tech at a lvl one trauma in MO. Our er has smokin hot nurses. I think it's a requirement. It's a pretty happening place. We pump 100+ patients a day through our er scanners alone. Great field. Im slowly finishing up my bs in radiologic science then applying for pa school

MO requires ER nurses to be hot. There are some in Hannibal that could bring a tear to your eye

Medical Technologist at a cancer center. Beer helps me cope with the fact a patient I saw yesterday is in the obits today. (not today just giving an example of what it is like somedays)

That's why I haven't went into rad therapy like I was kinda wanting to do. You see the same patients every day for good while. Then they stop coming. Half the time it's because they stopped breathing

Twenty five years as a Medical Technologist in a community hospital in western Ma. I enjoy the work, especially cuz I work all alone and cover everything from drawing blood to doing all of the testing. But the best part is my schedule. I work 10 hour shifts, 9:30 pm to 7:30 am, 7 nights on .... 7 nights off. With vacation and holiday time I work way less than half a year with big chunks of time off for brewin', drinkin', and travelin'!

Way back in this thread folks were talking about new nurses getting some med surg experience before the ER. ABSOLUTELY!!!
I've been doing this a long time and watching new nurses right out of school work the ER is damn scary. **** happens really fast in the ER and real life ( and death) ain't the same as school.

Just saying.

I'm heading into RN school this coming fall (if accepted). I'm getting my RN, then if I 100% decide to, go on and become a physician. So I'll be like 35 when I'm done with college :(

Twenty five years as a Medical Technologist in a community hospital in western Ma. I enjoy the work, especially cuz I work all alone and cover everything from drawing blood to doing all of the testing. But the best part is my schedule. I work 10 hour shifts, 9:30 pm to 7:30 am, 7 nights on .... 7 nights off. With vacation and holiday time I work way less than half a year with big chunks of time off for brewin', drinkin', and travelin'!

Way back in this thread folks were talking about new nurses getting some med surg experience before the ER. ABSOLUTELY!!!
I've been doing this a long time and watching new nurses right out of school work the ER is damn scary. **** happens really fast in the ER and real life ( and death) ain't the same as school.

Just saying.

Nice schedule. I wanted do to ER, but I guess building a foundation of skills wouldn't be a bad idea before I start pumping Epinephrine into pulseless patients. One of the main reasons I really didn't want to start off on med surg (and don't call me lazy), was because in my city, the hospital is way understaffed and nurses are 8:1 - 10:1 nurse patient ratio. I think that's just way too much!

As I mentioned a few posts back, if score a job in Austin, I'll gladly take med surg any day where they pay $6-8 an hour more than in my city, and I get a comfortable 5:1 patient ratio.

Recent grad from a ASN program and now mid-term on my first semester at University of Michigan. Go Blue!!!

Taking my boards on 3/2 and hoping to pass first time.

I worked phlebotomy for 3 years on midnights and saw my share of loonies. Hoping to get into specialty nursing.

Graduated about a month ago from an RN program, now waiting to take the NCLEX. Have an ER position waiting when I pass.

Graduated about a month ago from an RN program, now waiting to take the NCLEX. Have an ER position waiting when I pass.
Nice, congrats!

The ED is tough place to work. I love it though.

Currently I'm a stay-at-home dad, but I was an ED clinical pharmacist (PharmD) board certified in critical care pharmacy (BCCCP). I set up clinical pharmacy services in the hospital where I worked.
Hopefully your hospital has clinical pharmacy in the department.

Physician Assistant in Orthopedic Surgery. Was an EMT-B before to get my "hours" and to pay for school. Before that was a optician.

Nice, congrats!

The ED is tough place to work. I love it though.

Currently I'm a stay-at-home dad, but I was an ED clinical pharmacist (PharmD) board certified in critical care pharmacy (BCCCP). I set up clinical pharmacy services in the hospital where I worked.
Hopefully your hospital has clinical pharmacy in the department.

Thanks! It's a small community hospital, as I understand it a lot of the patients could be seen in an urgent care setting. Looking forward to getting started.

Hospital Maintenance here! We also do security for a few hours till they arrive in the evening. Thank God we're in a rural area, cuz we get our fair share of loonie tunes.

It's hard enough making sure everything's running smooth, then to drop everything and restrain a drunken idiot in the ER because he wants attention.

We also get to take bodies to the morgue, not my favorite task but I'm glad the nurses already have them bagged so I can pretend they're just "cargo".

Most days I'm just a babysitter, but occasionally I get to step out of the litter box and image your innards like my licenses say I can.

Back