Illinois Any great places to grab a beer near Great Lakes, IL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll be at Great Lakes for two nights, and wondered where to grab a beer in the area. At this point, I'm staying at the Navy Lodge, but we may move to a more family friendly place for the second night if my daughter and grandkids stay both nights. They are young, and a place with a pool and some amenities might be better for us.

Anyway, I have dinner plans for the first night, but I know I'll desperately want a beer after! Any place in the Waukegan/surrrounding area that you know of? Or a place to buy a few nice beers and take back to my room?

:off: I thought that you were officially a German citizen now?

Ha- they tried to keep me there (cancelled flights, delayed flights, an extra stint in the Czech Republic) but I did get home after a lengthy and expensive process. Now I've promised to visit my son for a day before he gets shipped out to Pensacola.

Is it wrong to wear a US Navy cap, when I'm a US Army Veteran? As a mom, I feel like I have to have the Navy cap when I see him. But, go Army!

Must be something about crossing the Atlantic lately. My in-laws just went back to Africa, their flight out of Iowa was a day later than they expected (while the rest were on time), then they missed their flight from New Jersey because of flooding/storms and traffic issues that resulted. After they got across the Atlantic I think they missed another flight and couldn't get a hotel room and they ended up staying at the airport for almost two days. A week later my nephew is still on US central time so I bet his parents aren't getting much sleep.

Whatever cap you end up wearing I'm thankful for you and your son's service.

Good luck finding some crafty beer in that area. And enjoy your time with your family!

Must be something about crossing the Atlantic lately. My in-laws just went back to Africa, their flight out of Iowa was a day later than they expected (while the rest were on time), then they missed their flight from New Jersey because of flooding/storms and traffic issues that resulted. After they got across the Atlantic I think they missed another flight and couldn't get a hotel room and they ended up staying at the airport for almost two days. A week later my nephew is still on US central time so I bet his parents aren't getting much sleep.

Whatever cap you end up wearing I'm thankful for you and your son's service.

Good luck finding some crafty beer in that area. And enjoy your time with your family!

Thank you! Yes, we have friends who were stuck in New Jersey after leaving a few days after us. It is not a great year for international travel transportation.

I'm looking forward to seeing my son, especially since before he joined he hadn't shaved in probably 9 years! He's almost always had a full beard since he was 13, but would shave it off now and then. I don't think he's shaved since he was about 17 or 18 before joining. I hope I recognize him!

There are a few breweries in the area.
Zumbeer is in Waukegan. He’s a small set up.

Tighthead is in mundelein about 20-25 min away.

Only child is in Gurnee about 15-20 min away.
There is a new brewery Kings and convicts in Highwood. You could probably catch the train and head south a few stops toget to that one.

I prefer Tighthead over the others but it’s a bit of a drive West

Back