Any good use for Turbo Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SquidPope

Reaction score
I was online and ordering supplies for an extract stout recipe, and saw a product called Turbo Yeast among the more familiar yeasts I've been reading about. So, I did a search on HBT for threads about Turbo Yeast, and most of the results I saw looked like teenagers trying to make garbage-tasting moonshine out of sugar water and more responsible homebrewers trying to dissuade them :D

I'm wondering though: what if I made a nice malty wort, lightly hopped, with a smallish amount of peat-smoked grain for flavour, and pitched this Turbo Yeast. Then, after giving it time for a primary fermentation, racking it over some oak chips for secondary, and possibly leaving out any priming sugar at bottling to keep it flat.

My guess/hope is that the end product would have some of the more traditional flavours of whiskey (malt, peat, oak) with a little bit of hops bitterness and around half the ABV. I have no plans to try this anytime soon, but do you think it would still taste good (and more importantly, not make me go blind from methanol)?

Keep your temp in the lower end for ale yeast... room temp with whiskey yeast + good wort was not so great for me. hth, ymmv

Turbo yeast is OK if you have a Federal fuel alcohol permit. There are too many other good choices for a beer.

Back