Any good beers with honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
As anyone done a good brown ale with honey or have a good brown sweet brown ale recipe? I have a few stouts and a nut brown ready for this winter but is also like a sweeter brown and I think a honey brown would be good.

What I have found is anything over 1/2 # for 5g, will make a really dry beer. Using honey malt will bring out a very nice favor of honey.

2 weeks ago I took the NB nut brown extract kit then added:
1 lb orange blossom honey (flameout)
6oz Honey Malt (steeped 20min)

In the fermentor another 2 weeks so I can't tell ya how yummy it is. If you would like the complete recipie, just ask.

@butterpants

I did nearly the same mod as you!
To the kit I added 8oz honey malt to the specialties, did a partial mash, added 0.5oz willamette pellets for 10 min and 1# local wildflower honey at flameout and pitched a starter of wyeast London ale 3. Botched getting an accurate og (wine stir rod wouldn't fit in carboy so wasn't well mixed) but 1.5 weeks of rdw later and things are looking good.
Will bottle at 3 weeks, and would love to compare tasting notes upon completion!

It all depends on the honey and the yeast strain. I added 2.75 lbs to a saison that was fantastic, it did not dry it out too much, but it also didn't attenuate as expected. That was added at flame out. Since then I only add to secondary, but have some really potent wildflower honey and compensate for dryness with an extra 1/2 lb of crystal/5 gal.

@butterpants

I did nearly the same mod as you!
To the kit I added 8oz honey malt to the specialties, did a partial mash, added 0.5oz willamette pellets for 10 min and 1# local wildflower honey at flameout and pitched a starter of wyeast London ale 3. Botched getting an accurate og (wine stir rod wouldn't fit in carboy so wasn't well mixed) but 1.5 weeks of rdw later and things are looking good.
Will bottle at 3 weeks, and would love to compare tasting notes upon completion!

PM me your address and I'll send you a bottle. I plan on kegging it, but a few bottles to age could be done.

Seems only fair that we just do the taste test simultaneously with both beers in front of us..... long as you're in the US

Latest posts

Back