Any experience with AHS session (50 cent) beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HOP-HEAD

Reaction score
I've always brewed batches that have cost me in the $45-60 range... partly due to my fondness for the hops. Anything in the 1.060+ range with 4-6 oz. of the great green leaf tend to lean towards that end of the price scale...

But... I'd like to try to brew a few session beers to help fill the bottles and keep the pipeline flowing. Anyone try any of the 50-centers at AHS, and if so, can you give me the thumbs up or down?

I was leaning towards trying one of there "Session Series American Amber Ales" or maybe the "Session Series Extra Special Bitter"...

Otherwise, anyone got a good American Style Ale or other light ale recipe that's served them well over the years and runs <$25 a batch?

They are pretty new but I've never been disappointed with any kit from AHS. A couple favorites of my beer drinking friends have been their lower priced promotion kits. I wouldn't be surprised to find that their 50 cent kits are based on some of the past promotional kit recipes.

I'm looking to bottle their American Amber this weekend.

I also have their brown in primary right now. It's been bubbling one every couple of seconds for about 4 days now and is still going strong.

Probably will take a reading of the Amber tonight, so I'll post back with how it tastes right now. Been in the primary for a little over 2 weeks.

Both seemed to be quite good while I brewed them.

I did the extract with the steeping grains, and hit the listed OG right on (duh, it's extract), and everything went smoothly. Definitely nice kits. I also did full boils, and attempted an adjusted hop schedule. Not sure if I adjusted enough, so they might be a bit hoppy/bitter. But my bet is that everything will be just fine.

It's $25 before the liquid yeast (an extra $7-8) and some other must haves. Ends up being about $34 total.

It's $25 before the liquid yeast (an extra $7-8) and some other must haves. Ends up being about $34 total.

What are you considering "must haves"? The caps?

If I was brewin' one of these boys, I'd toss in a$1.99 pack of Notty or an S-04 and call it good.

ok, just decided to go do my SG reading. Broke the dyrometer in the process >_<. Bottom cap fell out and the hydrometer fell to the bottom of the sink. I heard some hissing and it read 1.02 in tap water.

I pulled some out anyways.

Seemed like a good, standard beer. Was still a bit cloudy (but my fermentation temps have been varying widely). No off flavors or anything....maybe a bit sweet, but since I couldn't check the SG, I couldn't tell if I had stuck fermentation or not!

If I was brewin' one of these boys, I'd toss in a$1.99 pack of Notty or an S-04 and call it good.

Ditto. A packet of notty, one of these kits, and I'd be in business. I buy priming sugar in bulk, and have plenty of extra caps handy. If you want to keep that price even lower, skip the yeast fuel, skip the ice pack, and make a starter (or pitch two packs of Nottingham.)

This is the first I have really looked @ AHS. They have some pretty good deals. Do you think if I buy an American light kit that I can just use a pack of Notty instead of buying theirs?

Considered a SMaSH? 8 lbs of Maris otter, an ounce of your favorite hop and a pack of S-05 can make a killer $.50 brew.

I brewed the Brown Porter (AG, single infusion @158F) and pitched a jar of harvested WLP002. I followed AHS's suggested schedule (10 days in fermenter, 7 in keg) and it was one of the best beers I've ever brewed!

This is the first I have really looked @ AHS. They have some pretty good deals. Do you think if I buy an American light kit that I can just use a pack of Notty instead of buying theirs?

Yes, personally I think you could and yeast-wise, it'd be fine. I can't speak for the beer itself, as I haven't had one, but Notty is the bomb. Period.

I just like how it's quick, enjoys the cold, and is very "clean"... not lending many of it's own flavors.

Back